• Other
  7. 7. 1848 Election

• Zachary Taylor
    • Lewis Cass
    • Martin Van Buren
    • Gerrit Smith (Liberty Party)
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/04/2021 at 03:59 AM

@Beetlejuice @Cal @Cenzonico @ConservativeElector2 @DakotaHale @Dobs @Edouard @Entrecampos @Fbarbarossa @Hestia @jnewt @JohnGRobertsJr @Kitten @Magnus Rex @Mishfox @MrPotatoTed @Patine @pilight @Pringles@Rezi @Rodja @Sean F Kennedy @The Blood @themiddlepolitical @Timur @vcczar @WVProgressive @YVDyTaOxlzZr @Zenobiyl @themiddlepolitical @jvikings1

Alright, we're on to round 2. And waddayaknow, we start off with the hell storm known as the 1824 election... this'll be fun. As always, I ask that we TRY to be realistic. Apply your current beliefs to back then, but don't hold candidates to account over future actions they'd do, or stupid things. That's all I ask we try to do. 

With that said, I am keeping track of a leaderboard. Of most lopsided victories on this forum. For now it's gonna be victories with 60% or above. I'll show the leaderboard thus far.

Leaderboard (In Progress):

Thomas Jefferson - 1804 (71%)
James Madison - 1808 (64%)

Polls will start closing around 24 hours from the time they're created. Just for the leaderboards sake so I don't have to keep going back if anyone is late. So make sure to vote! 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Sean F Kennedy said:

Did not mean to vote Jackson that was for Clay

All good. I'll keep that in mind when tracking the leaderboard!

I identify as an Ohioan, so I looked at how I would have voted if I was in Ohio.

15 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Adding Henry Clay to the leaderboard will be one of the most cringe moments of my life. 😛

Andrew Jackson is perhaps best known for Trail of Tears, and most folks don't recognize the other options from that election, so Henry Clay wins by name recognition and not being best known for some pretty racist shit. ;c)

6 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Andrew Jackson is perhaps best known for Trail of Tears, and most folks don't recognize the other options from that election, so Henry Clay wins by name recognition and not being best known for some pretty racist shit. ;c)

Well, I don't think folks would vote for the Nullifier Party. It's basically like voting for the Southern Democrats in 1860 or the Segregationists, etc.

I tend to have a negative view concerning Freemasonry, but I understand that others may differ.

Edited by Timur

Just now, Timur said:

Well, I don't think folks would vote for the Nullifier Party.

I tend to have a negative view concerning Freemasonry, but I understand that others may differ.

No party was listed.  For me, the immediate thing that pops into my head for Henry Clay was "The Great Compromiser".  Yes, that involved compromised with slave-owners and in retrospect that's one of those things maybe you don't want to be remembered for.  But it was also with the hope of avoiding a war that ultimately killed almost a million Americans.  So it's at least a gray area, compared to Andrew Jackson whose legacy is a little more troubling and a little less complicated.

22 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I try to put myself into the shoes of that time when voting, but I also apply my current beliefs. I just could not vote for anyone other than Andrew Jackson who was a proponent of Jacksonian Democracy of course, but also expanding voting rights to all white males over 21. I think many of us here would potentially fit in that category. Compared to the Federalist and Whig principles of elitist Democracy, and their opposition to Jacksonian Democracy... it makes the choice awfully clear to me. 

But yeah, I don't agree at all with a lot of what Jackson did. 

Maybe I'll start listing parties next to the names if that makes it better, although I encourage people to look at the candidates, not the party label next to their name. 😛 

A cool thing to see is Van Buren winning 1848 under the Free Soil Party. At least among this forum. 

Edited by Pringles