• David Lloyd George
  7. 7. Victoria vs. Shakespeare

• Queen Victoria
    • William Shakespeare
  8. 8. Newton vs. Bell

• Sir Isaac Newton
    • Alexander Graham Bell

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/06/2021 at 01:15 AM

41 minutes ago, Patine said:

I couldn't help but notice that, despite being the, "Greatest 100 BRITONS," no one from England before the Norman Conquest, or from Scotland before the Union of the Crowns 1603 (no Robbie Burns or William Wallace or Robert Bruce or Alexander II or Mary, Queen of Scots, or any such) are included. And known - but very famous and iconic Britons from Antiquity, like Boadiccea, seem to missing, though King Arthur, whose existence is disputed and doubtful, is. How do they define, "Briton," exactly?

Actually, Wallace, Bruce, Boudicea were included, but they got voted out. I for one voted for Wallace and Bruce, but for some reason they were unpopular.

9 minutes ago, Timur said:

Actually, Wallace, Bruce, Boudicea were included, but they got voted out. I for one voted for Wallace and Bruce, but for some reason they were unpopular.

Edit: Wallace made it past the 1st round, but he lost to the Queen, next round.

Just now, Patine said:

Which Queen? There have been four Queens Regnant who reigned over all of Great Britain, two who only reigned over England (by some historical reckonings, three or four of them), and two who only reigned over Scotland. "The Queen," when speaking historically in the British context, is not something you can give a definitive article to, or even an automatic assumption of whose, "the greatest," for that matter.

The one currently alive. (Elizabeth II)

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

"The Queen," when speaking historically in the British context, is not something you can give a definitive article to, or even an automatic assumption of whose, "the greatest," for that matter.

Babes this makes no sense. Start talking to any British person at random about “the Queen” and they will understand you to mean the incumbent, the regnant Queen Elizabeth II.

This seems like a needlessly granular critique that doesn’t even make contextual sense to begin with. It’s like when you say “the President” in an American context, there is currently only one serving President. Of course “the Queen” means QE2 by default and anyone else would be referred to as Queen Victoria, Queen Mary II, Queen Jane (if you buy into all that 😉).

• Like 1

Just now, Dobs said:

Babes this makes no sense. Start talking to any British person at random about “the Queen” and they will understand you to mean the incumbent, the regnant Queen Elizabeth II.

This seems like a needlessly granular critique that doesn’t even make contextual sense to begin with. It’s like when you say “the President” in an American context, there is currently only one serving President. Of course “the Queen” means QE2 by default and anyone else would be referred to as Queen Victoria, Queen Mary II, Queen Jane (if you buy into all that 😉).

Well, to be fair, I was a bit careless.