The Political Lounge

Cigar Thread

DakotaHale

I've never smoked a cigar or a cigarette. Cigars generally smell better as a 2nd hand smoker. I used to drink a lot of soda as a kid but have mostly avoided it since 2001. I'll occasionally drink coke if it is offered to me. As a kid I liked Mountain Dew the most out of the sodas. However, even then, I would generally get canned tea. I think I don't like carbonation that much. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Both cigars and cola are poison. Why would someone willingly ingest poison. It's be like peppering all your food, knowingly and consciously, with small amounts of arsenic. It wouldn't kill you instantly (not like cyanide), but it would build up and eventually do so.

It's ok to have a vice or two. Everything that's worth doing in life has some sort of vice.

I love cigars. They're my favorite hobby I've ever picked up. They give me something to look forward to at the end of every day. For someone with a busy and oftentimes hectic schedule like me, there's nothing better than coming home, turning the phone off, lighting a cigar, and sitting out back for an hour processing the events of the day. For someone who started going gray at 17 (right before I picked up cigars), I like to think that the stoic act of winding down at the day with a cigar has added years to my life. There's a special ritual to cigars that forces you to slow down. If you smoke too fast, the cigar will get too hot, the smoke will be too harsh, and you might even get sick. If you smoke too slow, the cigar could go out and you'll have to re-light it. It's tricky to get right at first but when you get the hang of it and eventually gain the ability to pick out distinct flavor notes of each cigar and origin (I personally prefer cigars from Nicaragua, though I will enjoy Cubans every now and then), it becomes an extremely enriching hobby that I thank God for exposing me to and giving me the gift of cigars every day I'm able to have one.

In case my emotional appeal didn't work out for you, there's a few misconceptions about cigars that people get wrong. First off, you don't inhale cigars. Secondly, there's no additives in cigars like there are with cigarettes. There's only one ingredient and it's tobacco (occasionally there may be a little potato paste to act as a glue to hold the leaf together). Am I going to say nicotine is 100% safe for you? Not at all. But there's been a number of studies to show that smoking premium cigars and pipes (which I will enjoy every now and then) are in no way comparable to the harm that cigarettes or chewing tobacco pose. The FDA released a study showing that for men who smoked 1-2 cigars a day (more than the average cigar smoker smokes), the chances of cancer went up a measly 2%, within the margin of error and statistically insignificant. Granted, these men smoked cigars the 'safe way', (not holding it in their mouth, minimizing the amount of time the tobacco remains in contact with the lips, not inhaling, not having alcoholic beverages with it, etc.) And that's about the amount of cigars I smoke a day too. (Sometimes I'll have 3-4 in the summer, but oftentimes I'll give up the hobby for 3 months in the winter time since I'm not allowed to smoke inside. I'm not addicted to them so I'm completely fine, and usually end up drinking tea instead as I enjoy the ritual of tea-making and it serves as a nice substitute.)

Regardless, I'm concerned more about the quality of life rather than the quantity of life (which is still important to me, don't get me wrong). Live yours, brother.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I've never smoked a cigar or a cigarette. Cigars generally smell better as a 2nd hand smoker. I used to drink a lot of soda as a kid but have mostly avoided it since 2001. I'll occasionally drink coke if it is offered to me. As a kid I liked Mountain Dew the most out of the sodas. However, even then, I would generally get canned tea. I think I don't like carbonation that much. 

I rarely drink soft drinks either. That was my first time having a coke in months. I'm usually a big sweet tea person (Pure Leaf and Gold Peak, with the occasional Brisk). I'm surprised you've never had a cigar, or especially a pipe given their popularity in academic circles. I think you'd enjoy the ritual once. Especially if you're into more bitter tastes (dark chocolate, black coffee, etc.)

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Here in Canada, canned and bottled iced tea is carbonated, and VERY sweet. I was quite surprised during my trip to the Los Angles area in 1998 when I asked for, "iced tea," at a restaurant.

What'd you think of Good 'ol Yankee tea?

Just now, Patine said:

Compared to what I has used to, I recall it seemed bland and lacking. I ordered a coffee right after. 😉

You need to try some from the south. Best tea you'll ever have and kindest people you'll ever meet.

9 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I rarely drink soft drinks either. That was my first time having a coke in months. I'm usually a big sweet tea person (Pure Leaf and Gold Peak, with the occasional Brisk). I'm surprised you've never had a cigar, or especially a pipe given their popularity in academic circles. I think you'd enjoy the ritual once. Especially if you're into more bitter tastes (dark chocolate, black coffee, etc.)

I'm not like most academic, but also, most academics I know don't smoke either. I think that's sort of an outdated stereotype. I think most academics today are the ones that support banning smoking in parks. 

• Thanks 1

Coke. I've only smoked a cigar once or twice, but my dad has this old cuban cigar box collection. Old stuff to new, some of them from the 1960s and 70s when he was a kid. 

Mainly I drink sweet tea or dr. pepper. 

I drink a lottttttttttt of sweet tea. Strong, and sweet. That's the only way it's meant to be. 😛 

Gold Peak tea is pretty good but I uh, have to have the extra sweet version. (Not very good for me I know.) 

Mainly I like drinking my homemade tea, which is just right. Strong and sweet as usual. 

(And sometimes a bottle of Samuel Adams but shhh) 

• Like 1

Oh, and how could I forget. Glass bottled Cheerwine is the GOAT. But it's a rare treat, as I like to maintain at least some resemblance of healthiness, and I don't think drinking cheerwine after a workout is a good idea... I'll stick to chocolate milk 😛 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pringles said:

Coke. I've only smoked a cigar once or twice, but my dad has this old cuban cigar box collection. Old stuff to new, some of them from the 1960s and 70s when he was a kid. 

Mainly I drink sweet tea or dr. pepper. 

I drink a lottttttttttt of sweet tea. Strong, and sweet. That's the only way it's meant to be. 😛 

Gold Peak tea is pretty good but I uh, have to have the extra sweet version. (Not very good for me I know.) 

Mainly I like drinking my homemade tea, which is just right. Strong and sweet as usual. 

(And sometimes a bottle of Samuel Adams but shhh) 

Sam Adams is literally my favorite beer too (also my favorite founding father). I like the little tinge of hoppiness it has. Also drink Coors Banquet a lot bc I'm kind of a redneck (though normal Coors is disgusting). Busch Light is the best blue-collar beer but Sam Adams and Corona Extra are my favorites when I want to spend a bit.

But yeah, sweet tea is goated and a daily for me. Up your cigar intake from one a year to 10 a day and you'll make me proud.

What's your homemade sweet tea recipe? I always used two of the Lipton bags in a 5 gallon thing and dumped a piss-ton of sugar into it that'd make even Merle Haggard gag.

Just now, Pringles said:

Oh, and how could I forget. Glass bottled Cheerwine is the GOAT. But it's a rare treat, as I like to maintain at least some resemblance of healthiness, and I don't think drinking cheerwine after a workout is a good idea... I'll stick to chocolate milk 😛 

As a kid I was a huge strawberry milk lad but I've started appreciating chocolate milk lately, especially as a workout drink.

2 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Sam Adams is literally my favorite beer too (also my favorite founding father). I like the little tinge of hoppiness it has. Also drink Coors Banquet a lot bc I'm kind of a redneck (though normal Coors is disgusting). Busch Light is the best blue-collar beer but Sam Adams and Corona Extra are my favorites when I want to spend a bit.

But yeah, sweet tea is goated and a daily for me. Up your cigar intake from one a year to 10 a day and you'll make me proud.

What's your homemade sweet tea recipe? I always used two of the Lipton bags in a 5 gallon thing and dumped a piss-ton of sugar into it that'd make even Merle Haggard gag.

Lmao, I like Corona but ONLY if a lime with is with it. Completes the taste for me. I can't drink Coors lol. Budweiser and Bud Light aren't good imo. But that's the traditional redneck drink down here most of the time. There's one other beer that most of the time, I find meh but Guinness can be good depending on the kind. (like draught or stout depending.) 

I've actually never tried Busch Light lol. 

When it comes to tea, I used to use Luzzianne or however you spell it but it's something my mom always did, and now when I get the chance I take Lipton, use 1 bag, I don't measure the sugar, I just put it in until I feel like it's enough. Which, I'm pretty good at eyeballing it. 😛 

You make more gallons at a time than me since I make mine in this pitcher, but the 1 bag does well when you let it sit and ensure it's all in there. As I said, gotta be strong too. 😛 

• Like 1

Just now, Pringles said:

Lmao, I like Corona but ONLY if a lime with is with it. Completes the taste for me. I can't drink Coors lol. Budweiser and Bud Light aren't good imo. But that's the traditional redneck drink down here most of the time. There's one other beer that most of the time, I find meh but Guinness can be good depending on the kind. (like draught or stout depending.) 

I've actually never tried Busch Light lol. 

When it comes to tea, I used to use Luzzianne or however you spell it but it's something my mom always did, and now when I get the chance I take Lipton, use 1 bag, I don't measure the sugar, I just put it in until I feel like it's enough. Which, I'm pretty good at eyeballing it. 😛 

You make more gallons at a time than me since I make mine in this pitcher, but the 1 bag does well when you let it sit and ensure it's all in there. As I said, gotta be strong too. 😛 

Try Coors Banquet. It's nowhere near as bad as Coors is. One of my favorite beers. They come in these little stubby vintage bottles so that if you have an art-hoe astrology gf she'll love them.

coorsbanquet.thumb.jpeg.a9c1de660fe764be88c6a015245fbf58.jpeg

Just now, DakotaHale said:

Try Coors Banquet. It's nowhere near as bad as Coors is. One of my favorite beers. They come in these little stubby vintage bottles so that if you have an art-hoe astrology gf she'll love them.

coorsbanquet.thumb.jpeg.a9c1de660fe764be88c6a015245fbf58.jpeg

LOL. I'll keep an eye out! And women, beer? Bahhhhh, bro's b4 hoes. 😛 Bro's don't believe in none of that astrology shit 😛 

(Just kidding, there are probably many women who can drink beer better than me... especially in the South too. 😛

• Like 1

Let it be known that I only have two outfits. Full charcoal suit as in top pic and white bathrobe as shown here. No in between. Bed head and one-week beard are also required looks in this house.

(I appear to have forgotten how to upload videos)

Just now, Patine said:

My girlfriend, and a lot of my other female friends, drink - sometimes to an embarassing level - even though I don't at all.

Can totally respect that. Drinking is a fool's game. I'll enjoy a very small amount of whiskey or cognac, but I've never been noticeably intoxicated since my grad party, and don't intend to.

2 hours ago, Patine said:

Here in Canada, canned and bottled iced tea is carbonated, and VERY sweet. I was quite surprised during my trip to the Los Angles area in 1998 when I asked for, "iced tea," at a restaurant.

Tea is different in different parts of the US. Tea is generally very sweet in the South, much sweeter than it is in at least the Northeast. 

Well, I am more used to Coke instead of Pepsi, but I like Pepsi's logo more because it resembles the South Korean flag. Besides that I largely try to avoid any soft drinks since years. The only stuff I currently drink is water and tea without sugar. When it comes to alcohol I got never intoxicated, because I don't alcohol to have fun.

In regards to cigars and cigarettes, I have occasionally touched a cigarette but not since about six years and I don't intend to do it ever again. Unhealthy, expensive and awful taste is my summary. Same goes for hookahs, but they taste better.

I once puffed a cigar at a birthday party. Sadly I don't even know whether it was a Cuban one or maybe Nicaraguan ( @DakotaHale I think I'd prefer these, because from all Latin American countries I am most interested into Nicaragua, but that's about it). The person who's birthday was celebrated is Syrian, so maybe it was a Syrian cigar but I have no idea whether Syria has or had tobacco plantages. 

2 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

They give me something to look forward to at the end of every day. For someone with a busy and oftentimes hectic schedule like me, there's nothing better than coming home, turning the phone off, lighting a cigar, and sitting out back for an hour processing the events of the day.

[...] I'm not addicted to them so I'm completely fine, and usually end up drinking tea instead as I enjoy the ritual of tea-making and it serves as a nice substitute.)

Do you know how much I love you for basically describing my relationship with tea? Each day around 8 p.m. local time, I turn on my kettle and make myself a wonderful cup of warm tea to reflect the day in a more silent manner. This is absolutely among the best parts of each day for me and I really look forward to it from about having breakfast. Although I never put sugar into my tea, I toy with the idea of buying some Canadian maple syrup.

Edited by ConservativeElector2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Well, I am more used to Coke instead of Pepsi, but I like Pepsi's logo more because it resembles the South Korean flag. Besides that I largely try to avoid any soft drinks since years. The only stuff I currently drink is water and tea without sugar. When it comes to alcohol I got never intoxicated, because I don't alcohol to have fun.

In regards to cigars and cigarettes, I have occasionally touched a cigarette but not since about six years and I don't intend to do it ever again. Unhealthy, expensive and awful taste is my summary. Same goes for hookahs, but they taste better.

I once puffed a cigar at a birthday party. Sadly I don't even know whether it was a Cuban one or maybe Nicaraguan ( @DakotaHale I think I'd prefer these, because from all Latin American countries I am most interested into Nicaragua, but that's about it). The person who's birthday was celebrated is Syrian, so maybe it was a Syrian cigar but I have no idea whether Syria has or had tobacco plantages. 

Do you know how much I love you for basically describing my relationship with tea? Each day around 8 p.m. local time, I turn on my kettle and make myself a wonderful cup of warm tea to reflect the day in a more silent manner. This is absolutely among the best parts of each day for me and I really look forward to it from about having breakfast. Although I never put sugar into my tea, I toy with the idea of buying some Canadian maple syrup.

I own bees and use some comb honey occasionally when I make black tea. Great sugar substitute. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Also Syrian tobacco is grown, but is mostly delegated towards pipe tobaccos (though in recent years the tobacco typically grown in Syria is now grown in Cyprus for whatever reason).

7 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

For those not interested in cigars, which is the better beverage? Coke or Bepis?

7 hours ago, Patine said:

Both cigars and cola are poison. Why would someone willingly ingest poison. It's be like peppering all your food, knowingly and consciously, with small amounts of arsenic. It wouldn't kill you instantly (not like cyanide), but it would build up and eventually do so.

I don't smoke -- cigarettes, cigars, or marijuana.  I've never done any other illegal drug either.  I hate beer and most other alcohol -- I do love wine, but I still only have maybe two glasses per year.  Hell, I don't touch coffee either.  I don't chase women I'm not married to, I don't spend more than I can afford, I never say something to a loved one in the heat of the moment that I'll regret later. 

I was addicted to high stakes gambling and fast food, but I gave them both up cold turkey and don't miss them at all.

But Coke...oh man, Coke.  

I've successfully given up Coke for more than a year, on two separate occasions.  I went back to it the first time because my daughter was born and I needed the caffeine to function at work during the sleepless first year of fatherhood.  I eventually got off it for a year again...but then my boss went insane, tried to force me to break the law to help her out, I turned her in and testified against her, she got fired so I got all of her responsibilities thrust on me while also retaining my old job and THEN Coronavirus hit which wasn't just insanely stressful as the spokesman of 11 hospitals and 60+ clinics (plus the husband of a nurse) -- but also the schools shut down, which launched my stress level higher than it's ever been before.

So...yeah.  I needed the Coke again.

I hope to get off it again at some point.  But for now, I'm self medicating with it.  As vices go, it's not the best -- but it's also far, far away from the worst.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I don't smoke -- cigarettes, cigars, or marijuana.  I've never done any other illegal drug either.  I hate beer and most other alcohol -- I do love wine, but I still only have maybe two glasses per year.  Hell, I don't touch coffee either.  I don't chase women I'm not married to, I don't spend more than I can afford, I never say something to a loved one in the heat of the moment that I'll regret later. 

I was addicted to high stakes gambling and fast food, but I gave them both up cold turkey and don't miss them at all.

But Coke...oh man, Coke.  

I've successfully given up Coke for more than a year, on two separate occasions.  I went back to it the first time because my daughter was born and I needed the caffeine to function at work during the sleepless first year of fatherhood.  I eventually got off it for a year again...but then my boss went insane, tried to force me to break the law to help her out, I turned her in and testified against her, she got fired so I got all of her responsibilities thrust on me while also retaining my old job and THEN Coronavirus hit which wasn't just insanely stressful as the spokesman of 11 hospitals and 60+ clinics (plus the husband of a nurse) -- but also the schools shut down, which launched my stress level higher than it's ever been before.

So...yeah.  I needed the Coke again.

I hope to get off it again at some point.  But for now, I'm self medicating with it.  As vices go, it's not the best -- but it's also far, far away from the worst.

Coca Cola addiction runs rampant through you! It's ok, same thing runs in my family too lol. Although I feel like I've lost my taste for it really. If it's offered or the only thing available, I'll drink it. But eh, I don't really care for it anymore. 

• Haha 1