The Political Lounge

Cigar Thread

DakotaHale

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Looks like you're pure enough (in those regards, at least) to be a good Mormon... 😛

I will say I've sincerely liked every Mormon I've knowingly met.  One of the coolest girls I met (before my wife) happens to be a Mormon, and she reminds me of a blond Lucille Ball.  Just absolutely hilarious.

But I could never get behind the actual beliefs of it.  Generally good and cool people!  They just happen to believe things I could never get behind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DakotaHale said:

Can attest that Mormons are among the kindest people I've met (similar to the Amish and Sikhs), but ironically one of the biggest potheads I've ever met was a mormon.

When I was in Europe I had a group of Mormons come up to me on the street and invite me to one of their gatherings. Really nice people, however, I never expected Mormons in Bulgaria of all places. Nice people though... I had to respectfully decline though. Funny enough, one of the girls who was with the Mormon group was from Charleston. Long way from home like I was lol.

20 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I don't smoke -- cigarettes, cigars, or marijuana.  I've never done any other illegal drug either.  I hate beer and most other alcohol -- I do love wine, but I still only have maybe two glasses per year.  Hell, I don't touch coffee either.  I don't chase women I'm not married to, I don't spend more than I can afford, I never say something to a loved one in the heat of the moment that I'll regret later. 

I was addicted to high stakes gambling and fast food, but I gave them both up cold turkey and don't miss them at all.

But Coke...oh man, Coke.  

I've successfully given up Coke for more than a year, on two separate occasions.  I went back to it the first time because my daughter was born and I needed the caffeine to function at work during the sleepless first year of fatherhood.  I eventually got off it for a year again...but then my boss went insane, tried to force me to break the law to help her out, I turned her in and testified against her, she got fired so I got all of her responsibilities thrust on me while also retaining my old job and THEN Coronavirus hit which wasn't just insanely stressful as the spokesman of 11 hospitals and 60+ clinics (plus the husband of a nurse) -- but also the schools shut down, which launched my stress level higher than it's ever been before.

So...yeah.  I needed the Coke again.

I hope to get off it again at some point.  But for now, I'm self medicating with it.  As vices go, it's not the best -- but it's also far, far away from the worst.

I can’t stand fast food since giving it up in 2001. I used to love it as a kid but it’s hard for me to eat now. I have some exceptions though. Subway and Taco Bell.