The Political Lounge

How a Trump/Sanders Populist Party Ticket Might Have Done in 2016

vcczar

I decided to add up all the primary votes of Trump and Sanders against all the primary votes of Clinton and the non-Trump Republicans. 

The Populist ticket loses against Clinton/Cruz 389-149. 

The Populist ticket wins CA, OR, WA, MT, ND, SD, NE, CO, NM, IN, WV, PA, VT, and NH. Those states west of the Mississippi have a history of voting populist and progressive. The Populist Party won many of those states. I'm most surprised with PA, but I think a lot of WV people must be migrated upwards. IN is probably the next surprise and I wonder if the selection of Pence as VP might have some sort of connection with this. Who knows. In many states, one party primary went very populist but then the other went very establishment. These Populist States mentioned above had both parties go Populist with both Trump and Sanders gaining 50% of the primary vote or close to it. I didn't do it by % I did it by raw primary votes since some states have more blue than red voters and vice versa. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I decided to add up all the primary votes of Trump and Sanders against all the primary votes of Clinton and the non-Trump Republicans. 

The Populist ticket loses against Clinton/Cruz 389-149. 

The Populist ticket wins CA, OR, WA, MT, ND, SD, NE, CO, NM, IN, WV, PA, VT, and NH. Those states west of the Mississippi have a history of voting populist and progressive. The Populist Party won many of those states. I'm most surprised with PA, but I think a lot of WV people must be migrated upwards. IN is probably the next surprise and I wonder if the selection of Pence as VP might have some sort of connection with this. Who knows. In many states, one party primary went very populist but then the other went very establishment. These Populist States mentioned above had both parties go Populist with both Trump and Sanders gaining 50% of the primary vote or close to it. I didn't do it by % I did it by raw primary votes since some states have more blue than red voters and vice versa. 

Kinda off-topic, but I united the country under a Sanders/Trump ticket.

unitySandersTrump.JPG

Edited by Timur
  • Like 1