The Political Lounge

Is the modern Republican party kind of like the Know-Nothing Party?

Timur

It sometimes seems like that to me (except for the anti-Catholicism).

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Patine said:

The Know-Nothing Party seemed to lack fire-brand populists. Most of their candidates and leaders (especially Fillmore) seemed to be quite bland.

Mitch McConnell seems rather bland...

I  think it's funny that the Know Nothings also called themselves the "Native American Party" -- not because they were Native American (they were not), but because they were anti-immigrant.  

But despite some connection on things like that, the Know Nothings also had some progressive aspects as well.  For example, they were advocates for women's right, and anti-slavery, pro education, pro regulation.    So, no, I wouldn't say they're analogous to the modern Republican party, even if they did share some traits and beliefs.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Well, remember, back then, most Americans (and most Canadians, too) used the anachronistic term, "Indian," (an, embarassing "oops," based on Columbus mistakenly thinking he landed in the East Indies (Indonesia and surrounding countries) for Native Americans/First Nations. Even the British at the time, who often had many cultural, political, and definitely economic references to the British Raj and East Indies, used, "Red Indian," for such people, themselves, back then.

Yeah...I didn’t forget that people used to call Native Americans Indians.  I’m just laughing at the ridiculousness of it.

19 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I  think it's funny that the Know Nothings also called themselves the "Native American Party" -- not because they were Native American (they were not), but because they were anti-immigrant.  

But despite some connection on things like that, the Know Nothings also had some progressive aspects as well.  For example, they were advocates for women's right, and anti-slavery, pro education, pro regulation.    So, no, I wouldn't say they're analogous to the modern Republican party, even if they did share some traits and beliefs.

Actually, some Know-Nothings were pro-slavery.