The Political Lounge

Article 1 Poll: Numerical Representation

vcczar

Numerical Representation  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following proposals do you support?

• Same as representation as currently, about 1 US Rep per 750k people, so 435 reps  ***This wins by default if no other proposal passes***
    • Expand US Reps to represent about 500k people, so 650 reps
    • Expand US Reps to represent about 250k, so 1,300 reps
    • Expand US Reps to represent 100k, so 3,280 reps
    • Expand US Reps to represent the 30k the Founders intended, so 10,925 reps
    • Expand US Reps to 500 reps
    • Expand US Reps to 1,000 reps
    • Tie # of reps to population so that the total # increases when the population increases
    • Set the # of reps to a specific number, regardless if the population increases or not.
    • Allow US Reps to vote by proxies or vote virtually if the # of US Reps increases as they won't be able to all fit in their House of Congress at once
    • If US Reps increase, they must all be able to fit in their house of Congress, even if it means cramming the seats closer together and converting the balconies into US Rep seating

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/19/2021 at 11:19 PM

11 minutes ago, Zenobiyl said:

650 seems sensible to me. 

I'm okay with any increase. I supported all the increases. Ideally, I'd have one US Rep for every Census District, since these districts are compact and non-partisan and rarely change. This would mean thousands of US Reps, however. That doesn't bother me since I don't think a building should be what restricts the number of US Reps. I think Reps should vote virtually or via proxies to accommodate the voting. Protocol would have to be set up to keep the government running efficiently and to prevent proposals ballooning up and etc. Perhaps every party that has representation in a state will have their lead same-party Rep of that state who will be in charge of scheduling the proposals and which to shelve. They'd also be in charge of determining who will read which bill and who will summarize lengthy bills, etc.