The Political Lounge

What were your favorite TV shows/cartoons?

vcczar

What did you watch when you were under 10 years old?

For me:

Hulk Hogan’s Rock n Wrestling 

Mr T (cartoon)

He-Man

GI Joe

Transformers

Thunder Cats

Jetsons

Smurfs

Gummy Bears

Snorks

Garfield

Ghostbusters cartoon (there were two separate ones)

Muppet Babies

Duck Tales

Inspector gadget

David the Gnome

Alvin and the Chipmunks

Scooby Doo

Reading Rainbow

There was also some Saturday morning thing that had different cartoon stories, generally with some sort of moral, and often from folklore, but I don’t remember what it was called.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some. 

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

I indeed liked Transformer, Masters of the Universe (the proper name of the cartoon called, "He-Man," collequealy), and tolerated some of the others (I don't remember Duck Tales and the other Disney Afternoon starting up until I was in high school), though I detested Thunder Cats, though for schoolyard reasons unrelated to content of the cartoon, itself). I also watched Jem, Care Bears Countdown, and She-Ra: Princess of Power, among others (everyone I grew up with watched all of them, regardless of the target gender market by '80's toy franchise reckoning, and no one thought any thing of it). Also, Teddy Ruxpin was a favourite. And, though not, "favourites," Astroboy and re-runs of the Mighty Hercules (the cheesy '60's "sword and sandal," cartoon, not the much later Hercules the Legendary Journeys with Kevin Szorba), were watched. I've never heard of David the Gnome.

Michael Bay's utter butcheries of remakes of Transformers, G.I. Joe, and Jem were unforgivable atrocities in movie making. As a slightly altered version of the famous quote said twice in the episode of the Flintstones (which I also often watched reruns of at that time) where the Hatrocks first appear, that applies to my feelings on Bay's cinematic work on those IP's:

"I don't know what Mr. Bay got for directing and producing those remakes, but whatever it was, it should have been life!" 😛

I remember Jem and watched some Care Bears. Neither were regular shows for me. 

what was the Thundercats schoolyard reason? That was a great show. I had almost all the toys for that show. 

My family did not have cable for a large number of those years, though we did near the end.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Johnny Test

Star Wars: Clone Wars (the original creation before Revenge of the Sith)

Johnny Quest

Tom and Jerry

Looney Tunes

Phineas and Ferb

Batman: The Brave and the Bold

On 6/14/2021 at 3:28 AM, vcczar said:

What did you watch when you were under 10 years old?

Hm. Let me think a bit. Cartoons I can remember include:

Spongebob Squarepants

DuckTales (1987)

Disney's recess

Disney's Aladdin

Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers

Doug

Kim Possible

Mr. Bean

Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears

Smurfs

Non-cartoon stuff:

Gilmore Girls

Malcolm in the Middle

Dawson's Creek

Smallville

Magnum P.I.

I've also watched a lot of Austrian and German stuff of course. The best Austrian series were one about a hotel and one about a small town judge.

• Thanks 1

Earliest shows I can remember are Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers and Wonder Years.  Actually, the very earliest show I can recall around age 4 was Married With Children, though of course I was too young for most of the references.  

In addition to Chip N Dale and Wonder Years (which was my favorite show -- I pretended I had a brother named Kevin until I was 5 or 6), I also remember being into the Ghostbusters around that 5/6 age.

Those are easy to pin down age-wise because we moved a lot when I was younger, so I can pair the show with what house I was in and thus what age.  But I lived in the same house from 6-14, so that's a little more challenging to remember specific years.  From 1st to 5th grade, I'd say definitely Charles In Charge and Full House.  I remember having a crush on Stephanie Tanner from like age 9-10.    Double Dare.  You Can't Do That On Television.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  Dinosaurs.  Roseanne.  Doug.  Clarissa Explains It All.

It's possible some of these were more like 10-13, I can't really remember. 

12 minutes ago, Patine said:

I had always assumed that, "You Can't Do Not on Television," only had very limited circulation outside Canada, where it was made and produced (probably because of the precedent of other Canadian-made TV shows). Though a teenage Alanis Morisette being a part of the regular cast - quite a few years before launching her music career is notable, and the fact she was also starting to show, at least in character, the caustic and aserbic wit she layered her song lyrics, comments on music shows, and interviews thickly with later on.

Looks like it started as just Canada, after a few years it became a major show for Nickelodeon.  YCDTOT originated the green slime that remains a running joke on Nickelodeon now, about 30 years later.  Odds are, it was probably reruns by the time that I was old enough to notice it.  

2 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Earliest shows I can remember are Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers and Wonder Years.  Actually, the very earliest show I can recall around age 4 was Married With Children, though of course I was too young for most of the references.  

In addition to Chip N Dale and Wonder Years (which was my favorite show -- I pretended I had a brother named Kevin until I was 5 or 6), I also remember being into the Ghostbusters around that 5/6 age.

Those are easy to pin down age-wise because we moved a lot when I was younger, so I can pair the show with what house I was in and thus what age.  But I lived in the same house from 6-14, so that's a little more challenging to remember specific years.  From 1st to 5th grade, I'd say definitely Charles In Charge and Full House.  I remember having a crush on Stephanie Tanner from like age 9-10.    Double Dare.  You Can't Do That On Television.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  Dinosaurs.  Roseanne.  Doug.  Clarissa Explains It All.

It's possible some of these were more like 10-13, I can't really remember. 

I think I watched all of Married with Children 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think I watched all of Married with Children 

I remember being 3 or 4 and asking to stay up late enough to watch it.  But I didn't know the name of the show, so I tried to explain the show as "There's a fountain and then it's scary" (the loud stamp at the end of the song).  They never did understand what show that was.  Ha.

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

It was pretty low-grade humour, though clever and cunning in places. It was notable for taking nasty jabs at every relevant demographic, and thus wasn't specifically bigoted humour, holistically-speaking.

Looking back, I think of it as kind of a 1990's All In The Family.  Different, absolutely, and not always with a moral at the end.  But the vibe was similar.

15 minutes ago, Patine said:

It was pretty low-grade humour, though clever and cunning in places. It was notable for taking nasty jabs at every relevant demographic, and thus wasn't specifically bigoted humour, holistically-speaking.

6 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Looking back, I think of it as kind of a 1990's All In The Family.  Different, absolutely, and not always with a moral at the end.  But the vibe was similar.

One of my favorite parts were the fat jokes, as cruel as that is. I remember Al Bundy at one point mentioned a customer that was so fat she had smaller fatter people orbiting around her. He also missed the entire movie Hondo because his obese mother in law had to pass in front of the TV

Here’s a few shows I watched at age 10:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 

Teen Titans

Yu-Gi-Oh!

Dragon Ball Z

Pokemon 

Spongebob 
Fairly Odd Parents

Animaniacs

Batman the animated series 

Spiderman animated series 

Drake and Josh

House of Mouse 

Suite Life of Zach and Cody

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends 

Dexters Lab

1 hour ago, Patine said:

I grew up on the 1987 TMNT series and the delightfully cheesy, arbitrary, and repetitive (and badly animated) 1960's Spider-Man series with the iconic theme song re-runs. We had no real Batman animated series running when I was young, but the 1960's (repeat all qualities for the Spider-Man series above, but tacky costumes instead of bad animation) re-runs of the Adam West live-action series.

Oh yeah the animation in the original TMNT was pretty bad, my dad would often make jokes that it was so bad you could see a coffee stain from one of the animators on Shedder’s lair. Like you said it was incredibly cheesy, The 2003 series that I am more commonly watched with much more serious and more violent.

Just now, Patine said:

Yuck! Family Guy! That's among the lowest-grade humour to hit television anywhere at anytime - along with South Park.

The early seasons were the best (just like every major tv series), but yeah, the other seasons are low grade shit. 

I'm surprised I never saw this when we were doing it. My top 3 TV shows are as follows:

1. The Golden Girls (1985-1992)

2. The West Wing (1999-2006)

3. Law and Order: Special Victims Unit (1999-)

Honorable Mention: Modern Family (2009-2020)

3 hours ago, Dobs said:

I'm surprised I never saw this when we were doing it. My top 3 TV shows are as follows:

1. The Golden Girls (1985-1992)

2. The West Wing (1999-2006)

3. Law and Order: Special Victims Unit (1999-)

Honorable Mention: Modern Family (2009-2020)

Modern Family being one of your favorite series is almost surprising as Charlie Daniels being one of @Patines favorite singers. Almost