The Political Lounge

AMPU: Historical Relocation

@Beetlejuice @Cal @Cenzonico @ConservativeElector2 @DakotaHale @Dobs @Edouard @Entrecampos @Fbarbarossa @Hestia @jnewt @JohnGRobertsJr @Kitten @Magnus Rex @Mishfox @MrPotatoTed @Patine @pilight @Pringles @Rezi @Rodja @Sean F Kennedy @The Blood @themiddlepolitical @Timur @vcczar @WVProgressive @YVDyTaOxlzZr @Zenobiyl @themiddlepolitical @jvikings1 @Wiw @NYRepublican @TZMB

I'm about halfway done adding historical relocation dates to politicians in AMPU. What does this mean?

• Politicians will now be in their proper state at the various start dates. 
  • There could be an option to have politicians automatically move at their historical move dates.
  • The default will be for players to relocate them when they wish to relocate them, provided the politician has an alternate state. 

Why is relocation important? 

• As the nation grows, and new states are added, you will want your faction to get a head start in the new state. The strategy of drafting politicians with an alternate state, even if they are mediocre politicians, might be a sound strategy in the first 100 years of the game. 
  • Alternative, should the Civil War occur, you'll note a lot of Northerners can head South to Reconstruct the South. In many cases, these will be the only "Red Party" politicians in the South. 
  • Some politicians moved from crowded states or ideologically monogenous states to states that might allow for a chance of elected office. 

I'm considering allowing an option for any politician to relocate but fear the game will be as unrealistic as the game of Risk. Might be fun though. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:
  • There could be an option to have politicians automatically move at their historical move dates.

But what if they hold an office in the game which they did not hold in real life at that time? I'd say automatic relocation is cancelled then.

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm considering allowing an option for any politician to relocate but fear the game will be as unrealistic as the game of Risk. Might be fun though. 

As option it might be funny, but I fear too much unrealism as well.

Do you still consider the idea of giving a small number of politicians a random alternate state option each turn?

15 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

But what if they hold an office in the game which they did not hold in real life at that time? I'd say automatic relocation is cancelled then.

That, or they resign their seat. I'm not sure which way it will go. Maybe cancelling will make more sense. 

16 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Do you still consider the idea of giving a small number of politicians a random alternate state option each turn?

I might just make random alternate state coming from a general event. 

On 6/16/2021 at 1:51 PM, vcczar said:

That, or they resign their seat. I'm not sure which way it will go. Maybe cancelling will make more sense. 

I might just make random alternate state coming from a general event. 

Random alternate states would make alot of sense (they can have a low chance to start there) I mean so many small factors could have changed where people moved/lived during their political career from school to their loved ones.

If you really wanted to get wacky with this, add Boris Johnson to game and have a small chance for his parents to stay in NYC. 

On 6/16/2021 at 10:28 AM, vcczar said:

You could have a realism setting that the player could tick off or on. On meaning realism takes precedent, and off allowing more wacky and zany scenarios to occur. 

• Like 1

Just now, Patine said:

Eamon de Valera was born and raised in NYC. 😛

Mind, I have no idea what sort of political agendas or ideals he'd have at all divorced from Irish Nationalism being front and centre...

The raging Irish man of New York City.

11 minutes ago, Cenzonico said:

If you really wanted to get wacky with this, add Boris Johnson to game and have a small chance for his parents to stay in NYC. 

You could have a realism setting that the player could tick off or on. On meaning realism takes precedent, and off allowing more wacky and zany scenarios to occur. 

He’s a what if politician

16 hours ago, Patine said:

Eamon de Valera was born and raised in NYC. 😛

Mind, I have no idea what sort of political agendas or ideals he'd have at all divorced from Irish Nationalism being front and centre...

Thanks for pointing that out. I absolutely love Irish history, but didn't know that he was a New Yorker.