The Political Lounge

(Anon) How do we feel about the agree/disagree emotes?

DakotaHale

Agree/Disagree Emotes  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep the agree/disagree emotes?

• We should keep the agree/disagree emotes
    • We should get rid of the agree/disagree emotes

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I'd support trimming it down to just "Like" and maybe "haha."  Like covers "thanks" and "agree."  Anything beyond just like/thanks/agree could be a written response.

I like agree and disagree because it answers the post without having to take the time to type it. One can agree and not like something. One might disagree and not find it funny.

• Agree 3

16 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

We should put this up to a vote as well. Of all the emotes it is certainly the most out of place one for a forum. 

It doesn't seem like the sad one is needed either. The other 4 are good.

• Agree 1

I like the confused one because sometimes there is just too many walls of text that get all jumbled and it'd be easier hit "confused" then to get into an argument asking the posters to explain. The confused button should be used as a "you need to double down and explain that better" imo.

• Like 1

I personally don't get offended by the "confused" emote.  We humans don't agree on everything, and I'm sure some of my actions and opinions will have reactions in other people. Confused emotes are better than angry insulting posts anytime.

(If you agree, pleas drop a confused emote on this post.😎)

• Confused 5

I worry a little bit that emotes prohibit/limit discussion -- I recall there being a post a while back where the user put forth an opinion, but then asked that people just reply with the agree or disagree emotes.  I understand that they were just testing out the usefulness of the new emotes -- but from my perspective, it was proving the uselessness of it.  If you disagree with what I say...so what?  Unless you're willing to put your own counter-thought to paper (or screen, as it were), why should I care whether you disagree with what I've said?  Let's have an exchange of ideas, not an exchange of emotes.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I worry a little bit that emotes prohibit/limit discussion -- I recall there being a post a while back where the user put forth an opinion, but then asked that people just reply with the agree or disagree emotes.  I understand that they were just testing out the usefulness of the new emotes -- but from my perspective, it was proving the uselessness of it.  If you disagree with what I say...so what?  Unless you're willing to put your own counter-thought to paper (or screen, as it were), why should I care whether you disagree with what I've said?  Let's have an exchange of ideas, not an exchange of emotes.

Doesn't bother me. I wouldn't want people to write unless they really wanted to write. Because I don't want to read anything unless someone really has something to say. If an emote can replace all they really have to say, then let them do that. It also saves a lot of time for multi-taskers like me. 

More emotes could increase participation in some ways. For instance, what if I didn't use the polling mechanism when making polls? I just put the information in the field and people had to type out all their responses? I'd guesstimate that I'd probably only get about 60% of the response (or less) than if I have the non-typing polls. 

1 hour ago, Timur said:

I personally don't get offended by the "confused" emote.  We humans don't agree on everything, and I'm sure some of my actions and opinions will have reactions in other people. Confused emotes are better than angry insulting posts anytime.

(If you agree, pleas drop a confused emote on this post.😎)

Confused emote best emote. I love those bad boys. 😛 

• Confused 1