The Political Lounge

DeSantis beat Trump in a straw poll

vcczar

22 minutes ago, vcczar said:

See the title. Hopefully this means Trump won’t run. Glad to see GOPers preferring someone other than Trump. 

The bigger thing this poll shows is how a boba-fide conservative is politically ruined with the modern GOP because he didn’t do something that was both illegal and impossible.

3 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

3 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

I'll be interested to see what a head to head poll would look like. This straw poll was mostly centered around approval of the potential candidates.

Thanks for providing the source! It definitely changes the perspective significantly when you consider that it’s approval for potential candidates rather than a straw poll of a single candidate the voter would prefer. In the case of the latter, I’m sure many voters who approved of DeSantis actually prefer Trump if he’s an option. Trump’s popularity within the party is still incredibly high imo and this pool doesn’t really convince me otherwise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cal said:

Thanks for providing the source! It definitely changes the perspective significantly when you consider that it’s approval for potential candidates rather than a straw poll of a single candidate the voter would prefer. In the case of the latter, I’m sure many voters who approved of DeSantis actually prefer Trump if he’s an option. Trump’s popularity within the party is still incredibly high imo and this pool doesn’t really convince me otherwise. 

I agree, though it isn't surprising to see DeSantis have a wider range of support than Trump. I think he puts the GOP in the best place to expand upon the support Trump was able to gain through his elections. He has a lot of support in Florida, even among independents and some Democrats.

Just now, Patine said:

Trump only won in 2016 because Clinton was just as horrible, but in different ways, and the tenor of U.S. politics had (and still had) denegrated to an abysmal level conduct, vitriol, and ridiculous myths and outright lies actually believed by followers of both, "sides," (I use quotation marks because the current U.S. socio-political divided is manufactured and contrived natural or intuitive).

Sure Clinton was a terrible candidate, but that also ignores the ground Trump made within the working class populations. He also earned a record number of minority votes for a Republican candidate in 2020 (something that is especially interesting considering the media claims that he was a terrible racist).

10 hours ago, Zenobiyl said:

The bigger thing this poll shows is how a boba-fide conservative is politically ruined with the modern GOP because he didn’t do something that was both illegal and impossible.

boba fide

boba fide

boba fide