The Political Lounge

AMPU: Dynasties

I've now finished all of the dynasties. Here are all of the dynasties with at least 5 members:

• Roosevelt (Oyster Bay branch-TR), 18 members -- goes from foundation to the present
  • Kennedy, 17 members
  • Adams, 14 members
  • Breckinridge, 14 members
  • Lee, 14 members
  • Taft, 13 members -- almost starts at foundation but goes to the present
  • Hamilton, 11 members
  • Roosevelt (Hyde Park branch-FDR), 11 members -- goes from foundation to the present
  • King, 10 members
  • Livingston, 10 members
  • Udall, 10 members
  • Rodgers, 10 members -- amazingly all naval officers
  • Fish, 9 members  -- goes from foundation to the present
  • Ingersoll, 9 members
  • Marshall, 9 members
  • Bayard, 8 members
  • Clay, 8 members
  • Crittenden, 8 members
  • Grant, 8 members
  • Mason, 8 members
  • Washburn, 8 members
  • Harrison, 7 members
  • Long, 7 members
  • Hiester, 7 members
  • Frelinghuysen, 7 members -- except for a likely small gap, goes from foundation to the present
  • Biddle, 7 members
  • Calhoun, 7 members
  • La Follette, 7 members
  • Sherman, 6 members
  • Van Rensselaer, 6 members
  • Jefferson, 6 members -- unusually includes sons-in-laws and kids of TJ's daughters.
  • Clinton, 6 members
  • Muhlenberg, 6 members
  • Washington, 6 members -- includes adopted son and descendants
  • Bryan, 6 members
  • Carroll, 6 members
  • Lincoln, 6 members -- unusually includes "what-ifs" for his two sons who died early and a "what-if" for grandson Abraham Lincoln II who died early. 
  • Johnson, 5 members -- unusually includes a son-in-law who became Gov of VA
  • Jay, 5 members
  • Rodney, 5 members
  • Randolph, 5 members -- lost some members to the Jefferson dynasty (see above)
  • Pinckney, 5 members
  • Wadsworth, 5 members
  • Lowell, 5 members
  • Rockefeller, 5 members
  • Madison, 5 members
  • Hoar, 5 members
  • Kean, 5 members
  • Lamar, 5 members
  • Stockton, 5 members
  • Edwards, 5 members
  • Trump, 5 members
  • Eisenhower, 5 members
  • Conkling, 5 members
  • Corwin, 5 members
  • Bache, 5 members -- arguably more if you merge the Franklin and Wainwright dynasties that are also descendant of Benjamin Franklin.
  • Bankhead, 5 members
  • Carter, 5 members
  • Claiborne, 5 members
  • Clark, 5 members
  • Barbour, 5 members
  • Bell, 5 members
  • Bowie, 5 members
  • Bush, 5 members
  • Butler, 5 members
  • Carnahan, 5 members

Almost all of these dynasties are old school America. Very few begin in the 20th century. In fact, Rockefeller (politically), Trump, and Long (Huey P Long) are the notable exceptions. 

I'll now need fill out the politicians I added, and tag the Southern Unionists. @MrPotatoTed should be on track for rules on Wednesday.

• Like 1

Update: Still filling out the new dynasty politicians. This is going to take me a lot longer than I expected. I think there's like 250 new people and I'm also having to do paid work. I'm going to push back the rules until Monday @MrPotatoTed because I don't think I'll be able to start them this weekend because of non-work-related things.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 1:33 AM, vcczar said:

One hilarious politician to draft is Billy Carter--Jimmy Carter's famously drunk brother. He starts as a 3 draft value, which is among the lowest. 

How about Bill Clinton's half-brother, Roger Clinton Jr.?

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Hmm. Billy Carter ran for office.  Not sure if Roger did. 

How about Malik Obama, brother of Barack Obama. He did run for office in Kenya, though I don't know if that count (He is described as Kenyan-American in the Wikipedia page.)

On that note, perhaps consider adding the notable children of Presidents even if they haven't entered politics in real life?  Chelsea Clinton, the Bush twins, even Malia and Sasha Obama (in a post-2020 draft class)...giving the chance to create/extend dynasties at least one more generation.

Notably, the Bush twins are independents in real life, and backed Hillary in 2016 (haven't seen who they backed in 2020 yet, but I'd imagine Biden).  

37 minutes ago, Timur said:

How about Malik Obama, brother of Barack Obama. He did run for office in Kenya, though I don't know if that count (He is described as Kenyan-American in the Wikipedia page.)

23 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

On that note, perhaps consider adding the notable children of Presidents even if they haven't entered politics in real life?  Chelsea Clinton, the Bush twins, even Malia and Sasha Obama (in a post-2020 draft class)...giving the chance to create/extend dynasties at least one more generation.

Notably, the Bush twins are independents in real life, and backed Hillary in 2016 (haven't seen who they backed in 2020 yet, but I'd imagine Biden).  

I’ll consider it. I don’t really want to add anymore people for awhile. Already added thousands. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I’ll consider it. I don’t really want to add anymore people for awhile. Already added thousands. 

Fair enough!  Ideally, there will be an editor where folks can add/change whoever they want, but of course I understand that won't be in your control.

Edited by MrPotatoTed
  • Like 1