The Political Lounge

29 habitable planets are in position to observe Earth

vcczar

Planetary poll  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Check all that you believe is likely true

• Earth is the only planet in the universe with intelligent life because the Bible (or other sacred text) does not mention life on other planets.
    • Earth is the only planet in the universe with intelligent life because we have no scientific evidence that there are other beings similar to us.
    • It is likely that there is other life, similar to us, on other planets.
    • We have been visited by alien life.
    • We have been observed by alien life.
    • We currently have aliens walking among us that are from other planets.
    • We are more likely to visit a planet with intelligent life before we are visited by a planet with intelligent life.
    • I think we are more advanced than any civilization that could reach us.
    • I think aliens that visit us personally will be friendly, if cautious.
    • I think aliens that visit us personally will be act towards us the way Columbus and other conquerors have done to less technologically advanced people.
    • I think aliens have no interest in use but will want our planetary resources. We will be viewed more like bugs roaming on the resources they want to extract.
    • I think we will destroy ourselves, an asteroid will destroy us, or the Sun will destroy us before we visit or are visited by alien life.
    • I think aliens will be so advanced that they don't personally have to be here to observe us. They will be able to break the laws of physics, time, and location and do it covertly.
    • Other (mention below)

I only selected those that I were more than 50% sure were true. It's certainly possible that we've been visited by life on other planets, but I wouldn't say that it's likely that this has occurred. I'm about 40% sure that we've been visited by alien life, and 100% sure that intelligent life exists on other planets.

It's even less likely, in my opinion, that those alien visitors would have interacted with us, let alone walk among us.

I think any civilization that has advance to the point where they're crossing galaxies, and visiting other intelligent civilizations would not be bloodthirsty conquerors. They might even help human civilization advance, rather than destroy us.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

Fun fact. The Bible does not explicitly STATE there's no life on other worlds. Biblical literalists interpret it as much, but they're interpretation of Scripture is just that - an interpretation, as much so as the Liberal and Metaphorical Biblical interpretations are (and even some of the weirder interpretations - like those of LDS Movement founder, Joseph Smith, Jr., whose successor as President of the Mainstream Mormon Church, Brigham Young, declared Adam and Eve came from an extraterrestrial world in outer space, rather than being made directly from dust, effectively). Also, the Biblical quote, "and I have flocks on other pastures," is usually viewed as a statement of nations not known to Bible-writers at the time, but is sometimes also interpreted as referring to extraterrestrial life. The Qur'an is big on the idea of, "if it's omitted or not said, it's bad or irrelevant," (though the Shi'a sect, which is the dominant one in Iran, differs there, too), but most other religious scriptures do not seem in that specific tenor.

I think most people in Iraq are also Shia, but a lot of people think they're mostly Sunni because the Ba'athist party was mostly Sunni, including Saddam Hussein.  

I'm 100% sure that Alien life exists on other planets, the universe is simply far too vast for humans to be the only life in the Universe. Now, in terms of intelligent life, I'm 99% sure of it existing, but there's always the theory that we're the first species to have made it this far, which I think is a fair theory. Now, I do think that there probably is life more intelligent than us out there, and that they have visited our planet. Now, whether they've actually made effort to interact with us, I'm not so sure. I, personally, despite a lack of actual scientific evidence, do believe that Aliens are actively observing our planet and our interested in Humans as a species, be it for our potential to become advanced as they are, or potentially for something else (I myself am quite a fan of the theory that Aliens are interested in Nuclear Technology). The tipping point for me with Aliens was the fact that we've had people from the Government, people with actual standing, come out and say that there is aerial phenomenon that we don't understand and is more advanced than anything we have, as this means we either have a foreign country with far superior technology to ours (We'd all better hope that isn't the case), some sort of natural phenomenon we don't understand (Very plausible, there's plenty of undiscovered science all around us), or foreign observers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patine said:

Fun fact. The Bible does not explicitly STATE there's no life on other worlds. Biblical literalists interpret it as much, but they're interpretation of Scripture is just that - an interpretation, as much so as the Liberal and Metaphorical Biblical interpretations are (and even some of the weirder interpretations - like those of LDS Movement founder, Joseph Smith, Jr., whose successor as President of the Mainstream Mormon Church, Brigham Young, declared Adam and Eve came from an extraterrestrial world in outer space, rather than being made directly from dust, effectively). Also, the Biblical quote, "and I have flocks on other pastures," is usually viewed as a statement of nations not known to Bible-writers at the time, but is sometimes also interpreted as referring to extraterrestrial life. The Qur'an is big on the idea of, "if it's omitted or not said, it's bad or irrelevant," (though the Shi'a sect, which is the dominant one in Iran, differs there, too), but most other religious scriptures do not seem in that specific tenor.

I generally like to take the science in. If our world was created in the way our scientists believe, there is clearly the possibility of a similar incident happening in an area with similar conditions. Bible says God created everything, I take that as the entire universe, here, and beyond. I've always believed there is life of sorts beyond our solar system. It's one of the greatest mysteries ever. One I hope we discover some day, hopefully.

I'm reminded of the quote that the game XCOM prompts you with, from a renowned person who I cant remember right now. 

We are either alone in this universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

28 minutes ago, Patine said:

If you combine the two concepts (God created everything, but used science as His toolkit, and created aliens too), then the possibility that aliens are more likely to be, "like us," with just cultural, political, esthetic, point-of-view, and notable, but not astounding, physiological and psychological differences (a la, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Alien Nation, Andromeda, etc.) becomes very much more possible (and perhaps even frighteningly so)...

Very much so. That's the kind of thinking I subscribe to on these matters. Now we just need more damn space ship technology! 😛

We don't know all the variables that go into the development of intelligence, so all we can do is speculate.  In all likelihood, the vast majority of life out there is far less advanced than we are.  Here on Earth, a planet we know is capable of developing sentient life, the dominant lifeforms for tens of millions of years were dinosaurs.  They made zero technological progress and there's no indication they ever developed more than animal intelligence.

I can't imagine what resources our planet might have that a species capable of interstellar flight couldn't get somewhere else that's both uninhabited and closer to wherever their home is.

24 minutes ago, Patine said:

A number of years ago, I wrote an alien invasion science fiction amateur (unpublished) work where two different factions of the same species of alien invaded Earth, but their objectives were not clear, as they stirred up endless war, fervour, fear, and anger, but seemed to, "pull their punches," as their military tech level (as being interstellar invaders) could easily have quickly mopped things up. Turned out, they were, "psychic vampires," if you will, and harnessed the turmoil, trauma, emotional output, fears, outrage, etc., into special engines that gathered it as neuro-static, ambient field. Stirring up these particular passions is why one of the two factions specifically and, in a very calculated and researched move, landed their beachhead in the Middle East.

Your story sounds extremely interesting, and I'd love to read it if you still had access to it. The concept of aliens as psychic vampiric overlords seems extremely original.

22 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm not sure if I still have it, but, as @vcczar might guess, it'd need extensive editing first (one of several notable reasons it's unpublished). 😐

My 2nd job is as a manuscript proofreader for fiction authors. I might be outside your price range, however. I’d do it at a discount but I don’t have much time, especially when I’m getting offers at a good rate. 

IMO, almost all of them are likely, so may I should have placed my check on other things as well.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

@ConservativeElector2 I'm still curious if you would reconsider the specific vote you gave, since I've pointed out the lack of any statement in Christian Scripture of any sort denying the existence, or possibility thereof, of life on other planets?

Same question for @Timur.

I honestly don't get the difference between your posting and the option to vote for above. Both state that there is no life on other planets mentioned in a religious scripture. Just because it is not mentioned, it doesn't mean there's no such thing.

I am not completely opposed to life on other planets. It might be unlikely, but could be the case of course. Even if there's life at another planet I'd happen to believe it was created by god and the journey to discover it, could be a journey intended to keep humans on a thriving mission.