The Political Lounge

AMPU Poll

vcczar

AMPU Poll  

21 members have voted

1. 1. (Read my comment in the first post first) Do you think you purchase and play AMPU for PC once it comes out?

• Yes, if I have the money for it.
    • No, I'm not interested in this kind of PC game.
  2. 2. Once the game has several start dates, which of the start dates are you like to play?

• Era of Independence 1774
    • Era of Federalism 1788
    • Era of Republicanism 1800
    • Era of Democracy 1820
    • Era of Manifest Destiny 1840
    • Era of Nationalism 1856
    • Era of the Gilded Age 1868
    • Era of Progressivism 1896
    • Era of Normalcy 1916
    • Era of Ideologues 1928
    • Era of the Nuclear Age 1948
    • Era of Neocons 1972
    • Era of Terror 2000
    • Era of Populism 2012
    • Era of the Future 2024* -- Will begin at whichever Pres Election has not yet occurred.
  3. 3. Which part of US politics do you think you will focus on primarily as a player of a faction?

• Winning the presidency
    • Dominated the cabinet
    • Dominating the military
    • Dominating backroom politics
    • Dominating the US Senate
    • Dominating the US House
    • Dominating the Supreme Court
    • Dominating the state governments
    • I'm not interested in dominating anything. I prefer to just help my party dominate any of the above.
  4. 4. Which of the following interests you most about this game?

• Drafting historical politicians
    • Being president and responding to scripted events, general events, signing laws and such.
    • Proposing legislation, voting, and influencing votes.
    • Making decisions on Supreme Court cases.
    • The elections (primaries, conventions, general)
    • Long-term strategy of developing politicians, placing them in the right spots in hopes of dominating politics for a decade or more.
    • Expanding the country well-beyond 50 states
    • Crafting a country that is more ideal than the current historical US.
    • Other (mention below)

@Beetlejuice @Cal @Cenzonico @ConservativeElector2 @DakotaHale @Dobs @Edouard @Fbarbarossa @Hestia @jnewt @Kitten @Magnus Rex @Mishfox @MrPotatoTed @Patine @pilight @Pringles @Rezi @Rodja @Sean F Kennedy @The Blood @vcczar @WVProgressive @Zenobiyl

As many of you know, I've been creating a ground-breaking US political game entitled A More Perfect Union (aka AMPU).

This game will allow players to play a faction within one of the two major parties. The goal is to score points for both your party and for your faction while also keeping the country safe, livable, and prosperous. Players will hope to place their politicians in all three branches of the federal government, the state governorships, and in the military. Another key ingredient are the kingmakers--backroom politicians who might not hold office but hope to score points by placing a more electable protégé into office. 

The game is historical with historical politicians; however, no single alternate history experience will be like another. Will the America you craft be a more perfect union than the one you actually live in today? 

The game starts in 1774 with the First Continental Congress and can be played up to the 3000 US Election. Eventually, other start dates will be added. 

The two major parties are the Blue Party and the Red Party. The Blue Party represents the Democratic Party, but also the Jeffersonian Republicans, Anti-Federalists, and the Revolutionaries who would later become these parties. The Red Party represent the Republican Party, but also the Whigs, National Republicans, Federalists, and the Revolutionaries who would later become these parties. Temporary major 3rd parties sometimes emerge. The politicians that you draft throughout the course of history will determine your faction's ideology and personality, which determines your goals for scoring.

If you love US History or US Politics, then you will love this game. No game like this has been made. I wanted to play such a game. So I made it, along with the help of some volunteers who agreed to help me with some tasks. The game is scheduled to be developed for PC in about a month, but I'm unsure of how long it will take until we get an Alpha test. 

• Like 2

What would interest me if I was playing this game would be to do like what I am trying to do in Roleplays, it's to make the democrats a competitive party in the south like in the north.

Between the 90s and the 2000s democrats have lost the south (excepted Georgia who flipped in the other direction) but back in 2002 and untill 2006 democrats could still win in Arkansas, Louisiana, and be competitive in Tennessee

All of that is gone and it would probably be my obsession to keep them 😛

I think that the war of independence is the most interesting start because it's the moment where the US have put the foundations of their coutry and their borders. Canada and Quebec have been close to be annexed in the US aswell.

Just now, Edouard said:

but back in 2002 and untill 2006 democrats could still win in Arkansas, Louisiana, and be competitive in Tennessee

Oh yeah the time when conservative Arkansas democrats were fighting to keep their Senate seats. Nostalgic.

On YouTube you can find old campaign ads of Blanche Lincoln, which is pure time travel for me.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Blancheforsenate

• Like 1

I am so excited for game like this getting closer and closer to being made.I for one,would be more excited to play modern eras 1960s-onwards start date,but would definetly play at least one full history playthrough.The best solution would probably be to have as much start dates as possible.

Edited by Rodja
  • Like 1

Expanding the U.S. beyond its peak sounds the most fun. Occupation/resistance mechanics would make it pretty cool (mainly as a deterrent so the player doesn't try to do a world conquest.) AMPU world conquest sounds fun though. I imagine that wouldn't be possible sadly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cenzonico said:

Expanding the U.S. beyond its peak sounds the most fun. Occupation/resistance mechanics would make it pretty cool (mainly as a deterrent so the player doesn't try to do a world conquest.) AMPU world conquest sounds fun though. I imagine that wouldn't be possible sadly.

Yeah, I think max conquest will occur like 1% of the time. The entire Western Hemisphere and Caribbean is conquerable. Greenland and Philippines are too. I'd say getting the 50 historical states is relatively simple. Getting Canada and Mexico are difficult but possible if enough factions are on board. Getting Central America and South America is very difficult and the opportunity is hard to get. One draw back is that Brazil, Patagonia (Argentina + Chile), Eastern Mexico (Mexico City + Central and Southern Mexico), and the Philippines are so populous that they make California look like Kentucky in electoral votes. My guess is most people aren't going to want to take on these places even if the opportunity is there. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Edouard said:

What would interest me if I was playing this game would be to do like what I am trying to do in Roleplays, it's to make the democrats a competitive party in the south like in the north.

Between the 90s and the 2000s democrats have lost the south (excepted Georgia who flipped in the other direction) but back in 2002 and untill 2006 democrats could still win in Arkansas, Louisiana, and be competitive in Tennessee

All of that is gone and it would probably be my obsession to keep them 😛

I think that the war of independence is the most interesting start because it's the moment where the US have put the foundations of their coutry and their borders. Canada and Quebec have been close to be annexed in the US aswell.

It's possible in this game, but it takes effort. Each era has a bias but you can manipulate it through governor actions. Basically, you'd have to have a high ability Democratic governor who serves as many terms possible or has successors to "gerrymand" "build political machines" "fill offices with cronies" "pack the courts" "relax voting rights," etc to max Democratic potential. Alternatively, you can shift the ideologies of the politicians over time to fit the state better, although this runs the risk of being seen as a flip-flopper or two-faced, both which result in election penalties.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

@vcczarThough it's certainly not the era I chose as the one that most interested me, as things REALLY started going to shit and the concept of those in power being at all help accountable or culpable for even the highest, most egregious, treasonous, and even Nuremburg-calibre crimes and becoming little better, morally or in any respect to law or limits over those they were opposing seemed to go out the window, and another huge chunk of integrity in government was utterly destroyed - and allowed to be, because the fears and rage of the people was played manipulatively like a harp (but I did complete the poll), I stand by the statement I made to you a couple of years ago when you first brought it up that, "Age of Terror," is a wee bit melodramatic and histrionic, and not a common parlance term I hear elsewhere for that period of American history - in fact, it sounds more like an installation in an epic fantasy or space opera series. I'd advise reconsidering it to avoid ridicule - and not ridicule from me or others on THIS forum - but you know how people are out there, on the Internet.

I'll consider that once I hear feedback from others that strongly oppose it. You are the only critic of the term that I know of. I personally like the name as we were in a War of Terror and we, as society, seemed to have become terrorized by many other things. Other eras are also a little dramatic -- Era of Democracy (Yes, but only for white men), Era of Manifest Destiny, Era of Nationalism, Era of the Gilded Age, Era of Ideologues, Era of the Nuclear Age...they all have hint of drama. I have creative license on Era of Terror and Era of Populism because we aren't very far removed from those times and consensus on what to call these eras has not been established. Era of Neocons is another invention.