The Political Lounge

Another Game Idea

vcczar

I've thought of another game idea that will operate more as a kind of card game. It's a European history based game. Players will play as England, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Netherland, Poland, Russia, Turkey, and Denmark. Players would play as multiple of these, but they could lose one of the nations to another player. Basically, you want to control the high-power nations. I may include the US either directly or indirectly, probably indirectly. 

There will be 9 rounds based on a periodization I've created: 

1. 1066-1215
  2. 1215-1337
  3. 1337-1419
  4. 1419-1517
  5. 1517-1648
  6. 1648-1763
  7. 1763-1918
  8. 1918-1991
  9. 1991-present

I'm trying to make it so that the game takes only about 10 minutes per period. The idea is kind of vague at the moment, but the cards will mainly be major figures, but possibly ideas and events,  and one tries to win several categories. 

I'm not sure when or if I'll commit to this idea. Just thinking of it now.

• Like 3

I think my biggest deterrent is that 1) I have a lot of unfinished ideas, and 2) I don't really want to get bogged down on another game that might unravel into AMPU-like complexity. What I mean by that, is I want all of my future games to be something that will take a year for me make and playtest, and half a year to a year for a developer to make. My hope is that I can come out with a new game every year. If AMPU makes a fortune (I doubt it), I'll hire a full-time developer. 

• 3 weeks later...

This reminds me of the board games Britannia and History of the World. In both you control a nation for one round and try to score as many points as you can with them before they collapse and you have to start over. You keep scoring points if your previous nations are left and allowed to survive too. 

Needless to say, I'm intrigued. 

• Like 1