The Political Lounge

US Political History Zoom Class Brainstorm

vcczar

I'm going to continually update this initial post as I add to the class. 

*This is a work in project*

Political Party and Presidential Elections

• Era of Independence topics
    • Patriots, Loyalists, and Fence-Sitters
    • Federalists & Anti-Federalists
    • Declaration of Independence
    • Continental Association
    • Articles of Confederation
    • US Constitution
    • Federalist Papers
    • Anti-Federalist Papers
    • Virginia's Declaration of Rights
    • Massachusetts Constitution
    • Common Sense & Thomas Paine
    • Monarchism vs Classical Republicanism
    • Massachusetts: John Adams, Abigail Adams, Samuel Adams, John Hancock, Mercy Otis Warren, etc. 
    • New York: George Clinton, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, etc. 
    • Virginia: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, George Mason, Patrick Henry, etc. 
    • Pennsylvania: Benjamin Franklin, John Dickinson, Benjamin Rush, Robert Morris, etc. 
    • France and Great Britain: US as minor power
    • Demographic trends: Scots-Irish and German immigrants
    • etc.
  • Era of Federalism Topics
    • 1788-89 Elections
    • Federalists vs Anti-Federalists
    • Pro-Administration vs Anti-Administration
    • Classical Republicanism vs Jeffersonian Republicanism
    • Federalists vs Jeffersonian Republicans
    • Jeffersonian Republicanism or Jeffersonian Democracy?
    • New York: George Clinton & Aaron Burr vs. John Jay & Alexander Hamilton
    • The National Gazette and the Aurora & the early political press
    • James Madison, John J Beckley, & Thomas Jefferson as architects of a new party
    • Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, Robert Goodloe Harper, and Fisher Ames as Federalist leaders
    • Was John Adams the inevitable VP and successor? 
    • Would George Washington have won a 3rd term unanimously?
    • Problems with England and France & the French Revolution
    • Demographic trends: Scots-Irish and German immigrants
    • Banks, Tariffs, and Debt
    • Fencesitting in an era of party decentralization: George Washington, Edmund Randolph, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, John Hancock, Benjamin Rush, Elbridge Gerry, Patrick Henry, etc. 
    • When the Speaker of the House was weak
    • A Senate without an official leader
    • 1792 Election & the issues of a non-election election
    • The contested 1796 Election
    • Aaron Burr as the first modern politician
    • Issues with the early Supreme Court, including the 10 or so nominations by Washington
    • KY & VA Resolutions
    • Was Jefferson a disloyal VP?
    • Did slavery defeat John Adams's bid for a 2nd term?
    • Bill of Rights
    • Washington's Farewell
    • John Taylor of Caroline: Taking Jeffersonianism from Jefferson

• Era of Republicanism
    • Documents:
      • Monroe Doctrine
      • Madison's Declaration of War
    • Speeches:
      • Jefferson's 1st Inaugural
    • Possible Topics
      • Classical Republicanism vs Jeffersonian Republicanism
      • Early "Indian" Removal
  • Era of Democracy
    • Philosophers & Historians
      • Martin Van Buren
      • John C Calhoun
      • Alexis de Tocqueville
      • William Lloyd Garrison
      • Ralph Waldo Emerson
      • Amos Kendall
    • Possible Topic:
      • Jacksonian Democracy
      • National Republicanism & Modernity
      • Anti-Masons
      • Abolition
      • Nullifiers
  • Era of Manifest Destiny
      • John C Calhoun
      • William Lloyd Garrison
      • Susan B Anthony
      • Elizabeth Cady Stanton
      • Frederick Douglass
      • Ralph Waldo Emerson
      • Henry David Thoreau
  • Era of Nationalism
      • William Lloyd Garrison
      • John Brown
      • Wendell Phillips
      • Clement L Vallandigham
      • Walt Whitman
  • Era of the Gilded Age
      • Booker T Washington
      • Susan B Anthony
      • WEB Du Bois
      • Carl Schurz
      • Victoria Woodhull
      • Alfred Thayer Mahan
      • Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr
  • Era of Progressivism
      • Booker T Washington
      • WEB Du Bois
      • Robert La Follette
      • Herbert Croly
      • John Dewey
      • Louis Brandeis
      • William Jennings Bryan
      • Alfred Thayer Mahan
      • Henry Cabot Lodge
      • Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr
      • Eugene V Debs
  • Era of Normalcy
      • Louis Brandeis
      • Henry Cabot Lodge
  • Era of Ideologies
      • Robert A Taft
      • Huey P Long
      • WEB Du Bois
      • Eleanor Roosevelt
  • Era of the Nuclear Age
      • Martin Luther King Jr
      • Malcolm X
      • Scoop Jackson
      • Russell Kirk
      • William F Buckley Jr
      • Irving Kristol
      • Murray Rothbard
      • Leo Strauss
      • Joseph McCarthy
      • Earl Warren
  • Era of Neocons
      • Scoop Jackson
      • Russell Kirk
      • Henry Kissinger
      • Zbigniew Brzezinski
      • Saul Alinsky
      • Noam Chomsky
      • Gore Vidal
      • William F Buckley Jr
      • Ron Paul
      • Newt Gingrich
      • Irving Kristol
      • James R Schlesinger
      • Murray Rothbard
      • Paul Wolfowitz
      • Phyllis Schlafly
  • Era of Terror
      • Zbigniew Brzezinski
      • Saul Alinsky
      • Noam Chomsky
      • Gore Vidal
      • Ron Paul
      • Grover Norquist
      • Andrew Breitbart
      • Irving Kristol
      • Paul Wolfowitz
      • Philip Bobbitt
  • Era of Populism
      • Bernie Sanders
      • Steve Bannon
      • Grover Norquist
  • Like 3

I'll consistently edit the initial post, but I'm going to convert this course from focusing on historiography and ideology to a focus on party and presidential elections, based on my recent poll. So I've adjusted the Era of Independence section of the above. I'll readjust the other eras too. 

• Like 1

I'll tag @Bushwa777, @Imperator Taco Cat, @ShortKing, @DakotaHale, @WVProgressive, @NCblue1, @Rezi, @Pringles, @Murrman104, @Joe303300, @themiddlepolitical, @MrPotatoTed, @Joe303300, @10centjimmy, @ebrk85, @Rodja, @LainKino, @Blockmon, @ConservativeElector2 as you all responded to related threads. 

So I think the Zoom course will be some sort of merge between the History of US Political Parties, with a focus on the Democrats and Republicans, possibly even just starting in 1856 to the present. The majority interest was a focus on Presidential Elections, which will be the other part of the merged focus. I don't want to focus solely on the elections because there's just so much material out there that's easily accessible. I also think most of y'all are probably conversant in the important elections. However, a focus on parties might provide more new information. As such, here are some questions for you all: 

1) I might focus on the parties, their ideologies, influencers, successes, failures, demographics, how they responded to events, as about 75% of the coverage of each era. The other 25% will be divided between the primaries, conventions, and elections in light of the 75% other stuff we discuss. How did those topics contribute to the nominations and victories and defeats. Does that sound good to you?

2) Is it easier for you to understand history when I focus on specific people that embody the history of that time, or do you prefer if I talk about the parties in general without focusing on people?

3) Would you want me to include ungraded quizzes, just so you can test your knowledge?

4) I get the idea that lecture isn't the most popular mode of teaching among you all. I expect to have questions for you all to discuss in groups and then discuss class wide (we will break out in groups only if I can get 20 regulars in the zoom class). I would like to apply some lecture at the beginning. What kind of lecture are you expecting prior to discussion?

5) I'm not good at making graphs and visuals. If anyone is good at that, let me know, and I can give instructions. 

6) What class schedule works best for you? Weekly for two months, bi-weekly for several more months, daily for two weeks? Something else.

7) The course would be only open to AMPU donors. It will be free this one time. Next year, I'll do something similar, if this is successful, but I'll probably charge some sort of amount that will be adjusted for income. I don't want low-income fans to be excluded. I'll just have a form for applying for reduced cost, one can state their income (honor system), and I'll come up with something fair. I think I do want to start making extra money in the Summers doing zoom classes, eventually, but I'll always make sure anyone that wants in can get in. The only strict requirement will be owning AMPU.  

8. ) What kind of visuals do you expect for the course?

9) I will likely have a lot of reading assignments and videos, generally excerpts of larger pieces for both. I'm also considering typing things out about key topics, to save people time from looking them up. Be honest, if I'm assigning reading assignments and videos, do you think you'll read and watch them. Readings will typically be important documents or party platforms, while videos will generally be speeches, such as inaugural addresses. 

10) For the end of the zoom class, I'd like students to work on a historical creative project. That is, you'll craft some sort of historical document. This could be a speech, manifesto, platform, essay, etc. It will be for 2024 or an appeal to the future. As the course will focus on Party, it will either be with party in mind or it can be anti-party. Ideally, anything written will include a thesis/purpose/main idea, but I hope it will also pose ideas, solutions, etc., especially if the written assignment criticizes, calls for change, etc. I used to blast Patine on the thread for complaining about American politics, but then never offering practical suggestions to fix the issues that he saw. It's easy to complain, but it takes effort to find possible ways to resolve the issue, especially in a system so entranched as our two-party system. 

Warning: I am about to say a whole lot of nothing, do not expect anything insightful from me in this reply.

1: Yes

2: No preference

3: Ditto

4: No expectations

5: Definitely not the best here, but I am more than willing to.

6: Weekly works

7: This is not a question.

8: See number 4.

9: Yes

10: This is not a question.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

1) I might focus on the parties, their ideologies, influencers, successes, failures, demographics, how they responded to events, as about 75% of the coverage of each era. The other 25% will be divided between the primaries, conventions, and elections in light of the 75% other stuff we discuss. How did those topics contribute to the nominations and victories and defeats. Does that sound good to you?

2) Is it easier for you to understand history when I focus on specific people that embody the history of that time, or do you prefer if I talk about the parties in general without focusing on people?

3) Would you want me to include ungraded quizzes, just so you can test your knowledge?

4) I get the idea that lecture isn't the most popular mode of teaching among you all. I expect to have questions for you all to discuss in groups and then discuss class wide (we will break out in groups only if I can get 20 regulars in the zoom class). I would like to apply some lecture at the beginning. What kind of lecture are you expecting prior to discussion?

5) I'm not good at making graphs and visuals. If anyone is good at that, let me know, and I can give instructions. 

6) What class schedule works best for you? Weekly for two months, bi-weekly for several more months, daily for two weeks? Something else.

7) The course would be only open to AMPU donors. It will be free this one time. Next year, I'll do something similar, if this is successful, but I'll probably charge some sort of amount that will be adjusted for income. I don't want low-income fans to be excluded. I'll just have a form for applying for reduced cost, one can state their income (honor system), and I'll come up with something fair. I think I do want to start making extra money in the Summers doing zoom classes, eventually, but I'll always make sure anyone that wants in can get in. The only strict requirement will be owning AMPU.  

8. ) What kind of visuals do you expect for the course?

9) I will likely have a lot of reading assignments and videos, generally excerpts of larger pieces for both. I'm also considering typing things out about key topics, to save people time from looking them up. Be honest, if I'm assigning reading assignments and videos, do you think you'll read and watch them. Readings will typically be important documents or party platforms, while videos will generally be speeches, such as inaugural addresses. 

10) For the end of the zoom class, I'd like students to work on a historical creative project. That is, you'll craft some sort of historical document. This could be a speech, manifesto, platform, essay, etc. It will be for 2024 or an appeal to the future. As the course will focus on Party, it will either be with party in mind or it can be anti-party. Ideally, anything written will include a thesis/purpose/main idea, but I hope it will also pose ideas, solutions, etc., especially if the written assignment criticizes, calls for change, etc. I used to blast Patine on the thread for complaining about American politics, but then never offering practical suggestions to fix the issues that he saw. It's easy to complain, but it takes effort to find possible ways to resolve the issue, especially in a system so entranched as our two-party system. 

1. Yes

2. I can do with both 

3. Heck ya!

4. I think a general lecture to cover the topic, we discuss then we have a wrap up

5. Not good

6. Weekly 

7. I am poor so this sounds like a nice compromise

8. No expectations 

9. I will do the work

10. I will do the work 

• Thanks 1

1. Yes

2. I would like for some focus on individuals who embody the history of certain eras

3. Yes

4. I would expect a lecture that goes into providing context over what led or contributed to certain political forces being so potent or popular. 

5. I am also not particularly adept at graphic design

6. Only hard no would be daily, weekly for two months might be ideal

7. Sounds good

8. Even just an outline at the beginning of some bullet points of big things to know about each era or election cycle would be great

9. Will depend on how much material it would be on a weekly basis. If it's a couple of speeches I can watch online and a couple pages worth of documents, that should be doable. 

10. Sounds like an interesting assignment!

Another thing I'm considering doing is focusing on an over-arching political issue for each week and how that issue was considered by the party and for the elections. I'm not sure if I'll do it this way, but it's an option if one doesn't just want a chronological history in which we talk about all the issues as we slowly make our way to the present. 

• Based 2

Another possibility is not having the class on zoom, but haven't through this forum. This way people can partake in the class on their own schedule. I'll probably do a poll in regards to this. I'd prefer Zoom because that's how I'll likely handle this over next Summer. 

So I'm likely going to be teaching a class during the summer, so it may make more sense for me to teach our Zoom class in a more efficient way. That means I can either focus on presidential elections or on politicial parties. It would probably be easier for me to focus on presidential elections because I won't have to create any visuals, and I think you all come in with a good enough foundation that prompting discussion won't take as much effoer. Additionally the reading assignments will be more straight forward. If I had more time, I'd definitely make the focus on Party, but maybe I'll do that next Summer. I'll do presidential elections for this Summer. 

• Like 1

So I think the 10 classes for Summer will be broken up this way: focus is on presidential elections  

1) Formation and evolution of our two current major parties up to 1856, and then cover 1856 and 1860. 

2) 1864 through 1876. Reconstruction. 

3) 1880 to 1892. Gilded age 

4) 1896-1908 early progressivism and imperialism. 

5) 1912 - 1928. High tide of progressivism and high tide of conservatism. 

6) 1932 - 1948 FDR, depression, WWII. 

7) 1952-1972. High point of Cold War. Civil Rights. Parties begin resorting

8.) 1976-1996 Neocons, Cold War ending. Resorting more or less completes with Gingrich. 

9) 2000-2012. Era of terror

10) 2016-2024. Era of Populism. 

• Like 4