The Political Lounge

Is Ron DeSantis the GOP Hillary Clinton

vcczar

His unlikability and unnatural attempts at being human really remind me of a conservative Hillary Clinton. This might be unfair to Clinton, most Democratic politicians and donors admitted that she wasn't Bill Clinton, but they generally weren't scathing. I've been reading reports throughout the years by conservatives stating DeSantis "dislikes people." Many anecdotes of just general neglect of colleagues. He doesn't even greet people. Videos of him pretending to enjoy conversation are really awkward. I tend to disbelieve most things Trump says, but I might agree with the "personality transplant" comment. Clinton is at least known to be cordial and has professional social skills, even if she isn't a George W Bush/Bill Clinton type with common interactive skills. 

Originally, I was hoping Trump would be the nominee again as Biden could clearly beat him again, even with a 42% approval, but now I'm wondering if DeSantis would be weaker prey. I think Trump makes a mistake by avoiding primary debates if DeSantis is his closest rival. Trump will shred him. 

I don't know if DeSantis has "unlikable" in AMPU yet or not, but I'm on the verge of doing so. We may have the evidence. I may need to balance that out with some sort of positive trait, if I can think of one. 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I don't know if DeSantis has "unlikable" in AMPU yet or not, but I'm on the verge of doing so. We may have the evidence. I may need to balance that out with some sort of positive trait, if I can think of one. 

Uncharismatic would probably be more fitting tbh

30 minutes ago, Rezi said:

Uncharismatic would probably be more fitting tbh

It's hard to say which for me. I say Trump and Hillary Clinton are "unlikable." I'd say Joe Lieberman and Al Gore are "uncharismatic." I kind of think DeSantis is more in that Trump/Clinton category because he isn't a "nerd" or "dweeb"and people are offput by his "rudeness". Clinton arguably could be "uncharismatic". I may have her as both, I forget.

I find a lot of these judgments premature. DeSantis has maintained high approvals in FL among a broad swath of voters, won reelection by a 20 pt margin, and despite the rumor mill running with the idea that retail politics are beyond him, all the coverage I've seen of his recent overture to Iowa has been pretty decidedly positive. Who knows if he has what it takes to run a national campaign, but I don't find the whisper campaign compelling in light of his actual record. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/14/us/politics/desantis-impresses-in-iowa-showing-up-an-absent-trump.html

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

I find a lot of these judgments premature. DeSantis has maintained high approvals in FL among a broad swath of voters, won reelection by a 20 pt margin, and despite the rumor mill running with the idea that retail politics are beyond him, all the coverage I've seen of his recent overture to Iowa has been pretty decidedly positive. Who knows if he has what it takes to run a national campaign, but I don't find the whisper campaign compelling in light of his actual record. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/14/us/politics/desantis-impresses-in-iowa-showing-up-an-absent-trump.html

I agree. Even then I think DeSantis can be pretty awkward at times though. Like that moment when he does the open mouth emoji in real life while he was questioned in Japan. Maybe there’s a trait equivalent of “Odd” or something like that. Just not sure. 

Definitely feels like he needs some sort of trait to represent the awkwardness. I think I’d be better than him and I’d give myself uncharismatic lmao.

• Agree 1