The Political Lounge

Forum Presidential Election Class Poll (5/25)

vcczar

Forum Presidential Election Class Poll (5/25)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Did you read the first post before responding to this?

2. 2. What format will work for you? [Check ALL that apply]

• Zoom [during most afternoons]
    • Zoom [during most nights]
    • Zoom [during most days]
    • Online via this Forum
    • Online using some other program [Note: This might not be possible]
    • Via email
    • Other [mention below. This may result in another poll if I get multiple "others" that relate]
    • I am not interested in this class or I do not have time, regardless of format.
  3. 3. Homework will general be reading of inaugural platforms and watching videos of speeches. Is this something will be able to handle?

• Yes
    • I don't know.
    • No
    • I am not interested in this class or I do not have time,
  4. 4. I will have "grades" but only to name a Class President and Class Vice President at the end of the class. The grades are "for fun." What kind of assignments would you accept? Check ALL that apply

• Weekly quizzes
    • Midterm paper -- I'll probably have options like "build a Party Platform for the year 2028" "write an alternate election result based on evidence" etc.
    • End of course project -- this will be something like "write an important document for future Democrats, Republicans, or undecideds" or something. I'll probably allow art, video, etc.
    • Other ideas for grades.
  5. 5. Part of the "grade," whether this is handled via Zoom or strictly on the forum will be engagement in discussion. I'll pose questions or you will pose questions. You all will respond to those with each other. Is this something you think you can do?

• Yes
    • I don't know
    • No
  6. 6. Is there anything else you need to know about this course?

• Yes [mention below]
    • Not at the moment.
  7. 7. I need at least 12 fully-committed AMPU donor students for me to do this. Do you think you can help me encourage enough people to join so we can make it to 12 people?

• Yes
    • I don't know
    • No

I'm going to be conducting a FREE Presidential Election Class for AMPU Donors. The class will cover elections from 1856 to the present. That is, all of those that pitted Democrats vs. Republicans. I will do some background leading up to 1856 but only what is necessary to get us set up. 

This poll, in part, will dictate how this course is conducted. 

The class will likely follow a 10-week format. 

If anyone knows of a free, easy way to make a video or recording that's easily sharable, I can probably do that for the course "lecture." I'm trying to think of a way to do this since not everyone can Zoom. We have 12 people, it's just that not everyone can do the same time and format.

28 minutes ago, Imperator Taco Cat said:

Windows has a built in screen recording f unction (window+alt+r) and the files produced can be copy+pasted into the forums, Don't know for other Operating Systems.

That's good to know. I'll try that out to see if it's workable. Thanks. 

The first class will definitely look back at the two major parties prior to 1856, cover the 1856 election, cover the 1860 and 1864 elections. The focus will be on the 1860 election, mainly because it's the most interesting. But it's the most important in the sense that had the Republicans not won in that election, they may not have survived as a major party. 1856 was the first battle between our two major parties, but the 1860 election sort of solidifies it. This is re-confirmed in 1876 as 1860 & 1872 almost led to the death of the Democrats. 

• Like 2

Alright, I have my notes together for the first week's class. I just need visuals and the assurance that I have 12 students. The latter seems questionable. 12 want to do it, but I don't have 12 agreeing to a single format. About two of you seem to be the most eager. Unless I get 12 people, I can't sacrifice the time to do this because I'm already overextended as it is in regards to time. I want to do it, but I need as much convincing as you all do. I'll be convinced with 12 full commitment. Remember I'm doing this for free.

I'm thinking I'll probably handle this class through this forum once I can learn how to make videos and post them onto this. There just isn't a good zoom time that works for enough people, but I think I can reach quorum on the forum. 

• Based 2

To start a recording press windows+alt+r (probably can be changes in settings), this usually takes a few seconds to start so be patient, after you pause the recording it should appear in your videos. You can copy+paste it or use the forum's file attacher to get it in. Note: it only records the window you had open when you started. 

Proof of successful importation:

21 minutes ago, Imperator Taco Cat said:

To start a recording press windows+alt+r (probably can be changes in settings), this usually takes a few seconds to start so be patient, after you pause the recording it should appear in your videos. You can copy+paste it or use the forum's file attacher to get it in. Note: it only records the window you had open when you started. 

Proof of successful importation:

So I can't record multiple windows/tabs?

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Ok, that will pose a problem because i was hoping to show images, maps, stats, etc. 

@Imperator Taco Cat i might just put all the images on a document and just scroll down or something. Will I be able to scroll as long as I stay on the same document or does the window have to be fixed?

I think rather than grouping elections, if we are doing this via the forum rather than zoom, then I may just go election by election. I’ll move forward when conversation on an election dies down. So this won’t be confined to only 10 weeks. Could me less, but more likely more weeks. I’ll use some of what happens for a zoom class next summer. 

• Based 1

On 5/29/2023 at 4:02 PM, vcczar said:

Alright, I have my notes together for the first week's class. I just need visuals and the assurance that I have 12 students. The latter seems questionable. 12 want to do it, but I don't have 12 agreeing to a single format. About two of you seem to be the most eager. Unless I get 12 people, I can't sacrifice the time to do this because I'm already overextended as it is in regards to time. I want to do it, but I need as much convincing as you all do. I'll be convinced with 12 full commitment. Remember I'm doing this for free.

me too, am in. which ever way you do it is fine. I just got APUSH done but I want to know more about the political change and parties. so this is perfect

One thing that will be interesting to do is see which elected presidents completed their platforms. We would only consider specific platform things, such as “closing Guantanamo bay.” And not vague or subjective things like “make America great again”