The Political Lounge

Crazy detailed President Board Game

MrPotatoTed

It definitely does some things that AMPU does too.  In one playthrough, I noted the President had the "efficient" and "Orator" trait, haha.  Of course, you only control the President and they don't have 80 bajillion named politicians, so those are two big differences.  That, and the limited available eras (maximum of 8 years, between 2000 and 2020+.

I expect that whenever it arrives I'll likely stay up all night trying one or more playthroughs.  It's probably about as complicated as AMPU, though more limited in scope.  Has some parallels with Twilight Struggle, managing your influence vs. Russian, Chinese, and terrorist influence all over the globe.  World regions also have their own economic stability meters, etc.  Other countries also make moves -- not just your enemies, but your allies too.  UK doing foreign aid, for example.

Edited by MrPotatoTed
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

It definitely does some things that AMPU does too.  In one playthrough, I noted the President had the "efficient" and "Orator" trait, haha.  Of course, you only control the President and they don't have 80 bajillion named politicians, so those are two big differences.  That, and the limited available eras (maximum of 8 years, between 2000 and 2020+.

I expect that whenever it arrives I'll likely stay up all night trying one or more playthroughs.  It's probably about as complicated as AMPU, though more limited in scope.  Has some parallels with Twilight Struggle, managing your influence vs. Russian, Chinese, and terrorist influence all over the globe.  World regions also have their own economic stability meters, etc.

Just to clarify, this is a board game but is there also a digital version, or any plans to make one similar to how Founding Fathers is? Just personally curious, as I might be interested when I hear more feedback from you. 

1 minute ago, Pringles said:

Just to clarify, this is a board game but is there also a digital version, or any plans to make one similar to how Founding Fathers is? Just personally curious, as I might be interested when I hear more feedback from you. 

I'm honestly not sure.  I can only find a board game version, yet all the "preview" videos I've found show it on some kind of boardgame simulator.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I'm honestly not sure.  I can only find a board game version, yet all the "preview" videos I've found show it on some kind of boardgame simulator.

19 hours ago, Pringles said:

The board game simulator is called Tabletop Simulator in steam Steam Workshop::Mr. President - Playtest (steamcommunity.com)

• Thanks 2
  • Based 1

@Blockmon when I do a search in Workshop for "president". I get all other president games, but not this one. How did you find it? 

The link you gave me requires me to sign into Steam even though I'm already signed in and I don't know my password (as I never have to type it in) and I don't want to create a new one for the thousandth time because I never remember them. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Blockmon when I do a search in Workshop for "president". I get all other president games, but not this one. How did you find it? 

The link you gave me requires me to sign into Steam even though I'm already signed in and I don't know my password (as I never have to type it in) and I don't want to create a new one for the thousandth time because I never remember them. 

I googled "mr.president board game tabletop simulator" and the first result was the link I got.
now on why it doesn't pop up in search results then I have no idea

Edited by Blockmon

Damn.  In addition to the little pocket guide built into the tabletop simulator version, you also need a bunch of reference books to pull charts and available actions, etc, from and those aren't in the simulator version.  

He showed some of them in the video I linked above so I was still able to play for a bit...but he doesn't show enough of them to actually play the game without those books.

I've already ordered mine, so hopefully it will arrive in a week or two or twenty.  Haha.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Damn.  In addition to the little pocket guide built into the tabletop simulator version, you also need a bunch of reference books to pull charts and available actions, etc, from and those aren't in the simulator version.  

He showed some of them in the video I linked above so I was still able to play for a bit...but he doesn't show enough of them to actually play the game without those books.

I've already ordered mine, so hopefully it will arrive in a week or two or twenty.  Haha.  

I have tabletop simulator not for playing the games but for viewing the cards for game ideas. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

I have tabletop simulator not for playing the games but for viewing the cards for game ideas. 

Sure.  The cards are all in there, though about 50% of the game seems to reference various charts in the books.  Once my board game arrives, I'll write up a playthrough as I play it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Sure.  The cards are all in there, though about 50% of the game seems to reference various charts in the books.  Once my board game arrives, I'll write up a playthrough as I play it.

I’ve never had Tabletop Simulator but I’m guessing it’s purposely done so that you have to purchase the board game for the reference books? Since the game seems downloadable from the steam workshop. Been on steam 10 years and know my way around the workshop quite well, just not for Tabletop Simulator.

19 minutes ago, Pringles said:

I’ve never had Tabletop Simulator but I’m guessing it’s purposely done so that you have to purchase the board game for the reference books? Since the game seems downloadable from the steam workshop. Been on steam 10 years and know my way around the workshop quite well, just not for Tabletop Simulator.

Some games are all there.  But yes, I assume this was an intentional decision for this game since it’s brand new. 

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered this game a couple years back as well, and have been following its progress.  It's supposed to ship sometime this month.  For those wondering, it's more from the point of being the actual president, and fighting all the political/global fires that are always sprouting up.  Not historical politicians, but I know there are scenarios which emulate what is going on in the world, and how you want to respond to those situations (9/11, beginning of Trump era, etc.).  I think there's an option to try and play an additional term, and have to go through an election, but it was a later addition to the game, and I don't know how well it is fleshed out.    

No digital version as of yet, but GMT games has recently been porting some of their more popular games to a digital format.  This was one of the most pre-ordered games they ever had, so I would suppose it would be a good candidate for a digital version at some point in the future.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...