The Political Lounge

Texas Governor's Poll

vcczar

Texas 2022 Gubernatorial Poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which Party Would You Prefer to win in Texas of the two parties with any remote chance of winning?

2. 2. Who do you think wins in this match up?

• Gov Greg Abbott (R)
    • Fmr Rep Beto O'Rourke (D)
  3. 3. Who do you think wins in this match up?

• Gov Greg Abbott (R)
    • actor Matthew McConaughey (D or I)
  4. 4. Who do you think wins in this match up?

• Gov Greg Abbott (R)
    • Rep. Joaquin Castro (D)
  5. 5. Who do you think wins in this match up?

• Gov. Greg Abbott (R)
    • Fmr Sec & Fmr Mayor Julian Castro (D)
  6. 6. Who do you think wins in this match up?

• Gov. Greg Abbott (R)
    • Fmr State Senator Wendy Davis (D)

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

In the latest poll, Abbott is destroying O'Rourke but is basically tied with actor Matthew McConaughey

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/

I saw this poll as well. Part of me hopes for McConaughey to run, because it will be an interesting campaign and race for sure. However, I also want Abbott to be re-elected. If it ends like my all-time favorite Senate race in Florida 2018 it's fine. Two awesome candidates in a hell of an expensive high-profile campaign, while the better guy edges it out in the end. Perfect race.

• Like 1

I think only McConaughey or the Castro brothers have an approximately 50% chance of winning. I can't think of any other Texan that could win save a celebrity like a Dallas Cowboy or something. For instance, if Troy Aikman is a Democrat (doubt he is), he'd probably win. Dirk Nowitzi, Nolan Ryan, some sort of major sports superstar, irregardless if they know anything about politics, could win. Owen Wilson is from TX too. Maybe he could win. Sadly, the Castro brothers are the only politicians that are Democrats that could win. I think Beto could surprise if he gets back to 2018 form. 

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

@vcczarUnless you could give a brief sum-up on their viewpoints, here. As a professor of political history FROM Texas, I'd value your statement here immensely.

But, Friedman's looking pretty good... 😛

I remember Friedman. Don't even know if he's still alive. I don't know anything about McConaughey's views. Davis, the Castro's, and O'Rourke are all mainline Democrats. O'Rourke can be occasionally left of Biden. Castro's are about in line with Biden. Davis is probably the more moderate, but she's really vocal about abortion, which might hurt her. 

I think McConaughey is the only D/I with a real chance at winning, although a Castro brother could pull off an upset. I’d be interesting to know McConaughey’a views, but I imagine he’d be pretty moderate. You’d have to wonder if he’d be better off running as ah independent and trying to convince democrats to not run a candidate.

Abbott is also facing an inter-party primary challenge too which could be interesting. I think McConaughey(should he run) would garner far more attention than Beto's run against Cruz and even more attention than any governor race in a very hot minute.

That being said I think McConaughey and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson both need some more experience before running for any top executive position. Though McConaughey has actually been laying the foundation for a run these past few years.

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I remember Friedman. Don't even know if he's still alive. I don't know anything about McConaughey's views. Davis, the Castro's, and O'Rourke are all mainline Democrats. O'Rourke can be occasionally left of Biden. Castro's are about in line with Biden. Davis is probably the more moderate, but she's really vocal about abortion, which might hurt her. 

Friedman is still alive

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

This wouldn't necessarily be strictly needed in Texas, because State electoral law says you can win with a plurality of the vote, and there's no instant run-off or second round.

I understand that, but my point was more that McConaughey would be far more likely to siphon off votes from Democrats than Republicans, given the presence of an incumbent Republican and the current state of the party. If McConaughey were to run as an independent and prevent Democrats from running a candidate, he would, in my view, increase his odds of winning by taking all the Democratic voters who refuse to vote for a Republican, as well as Republican voters who like his moderate policies/charisma and wouldn’t vote for him if he were to run as a Democrat because they’re entrenched in party politics.

Edited by Rezi

2 minutes ago, Dobs said:

I think he’s closer to Rubio than all of them.

Rubio is to the left of Abbott. The stuff Abbott has been doing, especially the last year or two are not things I see Rubio doing as a governor. I doubt Abbott would veto funding to the legislature, for instance. He also vetoed a criminal justice bill I don't think Rubio would veto. He's also further right on abortion than I think Rubio is. Abbott might also be more pro-wall than Rubio is. Who knows how they'd align if Rubio was in TX and Abbott was in FL, however. Rubio is generally mine line of tolerance for what Republican I could tolerate as a president. Abbott, along with Cruz and Trump, are beyond that line. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Rubio is to the left of Abbott. The stuff Abbott has been doing, especially the last year or two are not things I see Rubio doing as a governor. I doubt Abbott would veto funding to the legislature, for instance. He also vetoed a criminal justice bill I don't think Rubio would veto. He's also further right on abortion than I think Rubio is. Abbott might also be more pro-wall than Rubio is. Who knows how they'd align if Rubio was in TX and Abbott was in FL, however. Rubio is generally mine line of tolerance for what Republican I could tolerate as a president. Abbott, along with Cruz and Trump, are beyond that line. 

I disagree with your assessment.

The boy wonder Matthew McConaughey is the dude with the only chance of taking down Abbott. Even then I have no real preference of who wins. Texas GOP needs to wake up. I hope Cruz loses in 2022 most of all. I think a Castro brother can beat him. Beto is a total loss. Matthew McConaughey running against Cruz would be an easy win. 

• Like 1

Just now, Patine said:

Are people still listening to this Shapiro quack? As I recall, he was one of Anthony Burgoyne's go-to clueless hacks, along with Jordan Peterson and other low-life pundit-wannabes and experts-in-pretense-only, to praise and quote (and permanently ban those who called them out for the losers they are, and lie publicly through his teeth to his forum about the real reason, like he did to me). People like this are just as odious and obnoxious online, and, unlike Anthony, have no useful product to offer as a counter-point.

I'm no fan of Shapiro but imo, he isn't as bad as others. Like Steven Crowder, and Alex Jones... Alex Jones is so obviously crazy though. Crowder however, is just straight up weird. 

Just now, Patine said:

I believe Alex Jones was also, along with Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson, on Anthony's list of, "utter idiots to quote to sound intelligent and correct," - that he may ban you permanently on his site and lie about why if you openly criticize them (like, as I said, happened to me).

You gotta be shitting me, really? Jesus. Anybody who genuinely considers Jones to be some kind of intelligent, correct, media personality is... 😬

Probably buys into that Bohemian Grove, Lizard people BS lol

13 minutes ago, Patine said:

Are people still listening to this Shapiro quack? As I recall, he was one of Anthony Burgoyne's go-to clueless hacks, along with Jordan Peterson and other low-life pundit-wannabes and experts-in-pretense-only, to praise and quote (and permanently ban those who called them out for the losers they are, and lie publicly through his teeth to his forum about the real reason, like he did to me). People like this are just as odious and obnoxious online, and, unlike Anthony, have no useful product to offer as a counter-point.

Yeah a lot of people are. Hell, I even had a cringey conservative Ben Shapiro phase for awhile. And I imagine there might be other people here who could attest to something similar.

17 minutes ago, Pringles said:

You gotta be shitting me, really? Jesus. Anybody who genuinely considers Jones to be some kind of intelligent, correct, media personality is... 😬

Probably buys into that Bohemian Grove, Lizard people BS lol

Actually, Patine is a secret member of the Bohemian Grove, the Bilderberg Group, the CFR, Skull and Bones, the Illuminati, the Club of Rome, the Trilaterlal Commission. He is trying to control your mind.

• Haha 1

BTW, people hate Ted Cruz. Even Republicans hate Ted Cruz. That's why Beto O'Rourke got 48%. Not so with Greg Abbott.

• Agree 2

Just now, Patine said:

If I were a mind controller, I'm a pretty miserable, shitty, failed excuse for one, aren't I? I'd have walked the Walk of Shame several times now if you were right. 😛

The NWO uses all kinds of deceitful methods, but that's what they don't want you to know. :classic_tongue:

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2021 at 11:31 PM, vcczar said:

I think only McConaughey or the Castro brothers have an approximately 50% chance of winning. I can't think of any other Texan that could win save a celebrity like a Dallas Cowboy or something. For instance, if Troy Aikman is a Democrat (doubt he is), he'd probably win. Dirk Nowitzi, Nolan Ryan, some sort of major sports superstar, irregardless if they know anything about politics, could win. Owen Wilson is from TX too. Maybe he could win. Sadly, the Castro brothers are the only politicians that are Democrats that could win. I think Beto could surprise if he gets back to 2018 form. 

Maybe Henry Cuellar could win as well.