The Political Lounge

A More Perfect Administration - Game Thread

OrangeP47

A More Perfect Administration – April 1789

Monthly Report

Political

President: Benjamin Gold (I-CT) (Estimated Approval: 85-80%)

House: 45-20 (Pro/Anti Administration Split) (65 total)

Speaker: Thomas J. Wilson (I-MA)

Senate: 19-7 (Pro/Anti Administration Split) (26 total)

PPT: Henry Allison (I-VA)

-

Economy

Inflation: -1%

Unemployment: Negligible

Tarriff: 50 cents per ton – foreign, 6 cents per ton – American

-

Military

Standing Army: 1,000

Standing Navy: 6 frigates

-

News

(Informational) Congress is assembling for the first time here in New York. The Governor might have some undue influence over the goings ons, a quite envyable position....

(Informational)The economy is a bit sluggish, especially in the North where states are tied down with debt from the Revolution.

(647) Runner up Timothy Stone is at his plantation in Georgia, but sends warm well wishes to the new President. He does not seem bitter about the loss, but it is doubtful this is the last anyone's heard of him.

-

Upcoming Important Legislation

Congress is performing many of the foundational tasks needed to establish a working federal government, such as regulating its own rules, rules of order, etc. Input and influence over this process can now be weilded. A finalized slate will be ready shortly.

Procurement of resources for each cabinet member is being debated in Congress. This is strictly tied to the budget process, and will need to be considered in ballance with any federal tarriff policy. This debate might take some time.

Related, but also somewhat separate, many in Congress are gently reminding others that the Constitution provides for the establishment of a Federal Judiciary. This is looking like a long, drawn out debate.

-

State News

Pennsylvania (153) – Word on the street has it anti-Constitution sentiment in the state is actually a lot higher than many people suspect. At the very least, there seems to be some rivarly between Philadelphia and New York City.

South Carolina (587) – Good weather so far this year... might be able to take some advantage of it with the planting...

Virginia (905) – A representative from the District of Kentucky arrives at the Governor's office, one Mr. Raymond Earl (NPC). He intends to discuss Virginia's consent to the District becoming a State in it's own right, which as you know was given under the Articles, but a decision was made to postpone any action until once the new system of government was in place. He's here to hammer out any finer details of whatever arrangement is to be made, and seems to be a quite agreeable fellow.

-

Imperator Taco Cat @Hestia @Euri @Cal @Bushwa777 @Murrman104 @Blockmon @ShortKing @10centjimmy @matthewyoung123 @The Blood @Rezi @WVProgressive @Pringles @Dobs @Ich_bin_Tyler

• Like 2

How this works:  You'll have a few days to discuss this post and decide on individual and collective actions.  You can generally take as many actions as you want, and respond to anything you want, and I'll just judge if it's reasonable for you to do it.  Some events, such as "upcoming legislation" will hit multiple turns, so you have multiple chances to influence it.  You can basically do whatever.  I only ask that, if you are taking an action instead of just talking, please post "ACTION:" so I know what to look for when processing.

You can also ask me any questions about the ongoing state of the country, but I may not be a reliable narrator 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OrangeP47 said:

A More Perfect Administration – April 1789

Monthly Report

Political

President: Benjamin Gold (I-CT) (Estimated Approval: 85-80%)

House: 45-20 (Pro/Anti Administration Split) (65 total)

Speaker: Thomas J. Wilson (I-MA)

Senate: 19-7 (Pro/Anti Administration Split) (26 total)

PPT: Henry Allison (I-VA)

-

Economy

Inflation: -1%

Unemployment: Negligible

Tarriff: 50 cents per ton – foreign, 6 cents per ton – American

-

Military

Standing Army: 1,000

Standing Navy: 6 frigates

-

News

(Informational) Congress is assembling for the first time here in New York. The Governor might have some undue influence over the goings ons, a quite envyable position....

(Informational)The economy is a bit sluggish, especially in the North where states are tied down with debt from the Revolution.

(647) Runner up Timothy Stone is at his plantation in Georgia, but sends warm well wishes to the new President. He does not seem bitter about the loss, but it is doubtful this is the last anyone's heard of him.

-

Upcoming Important Legislation

Congress is performing many of the foundational tasks needed to establish a working federal government, such as regulating its own rules, rules of order, etc. Input and influence over this process can now be weilded. A finalized slate will be ready shortly.

Procurement of resources for each cabinet member is being debated in Congress. This is strictly tied to the budget process, and will need to be considered in ballance with any federal tarriff policy. This debate might take some time.

Related, but also somewhat separate, many in Congress are gently reminding others that the Constitution provides for the establishment of a Federal Judiciary. This is looking like a long, drawn out debate.

-

State News

Pennsylvania (153) – Word on the street has it anti-Constitution sentiment in the state is actually a lot higher than many people suspect. At the very least, there seems to be some rivarly between Philadelphia and New York City.

South Carolina (587) – Good weather so far this year... might be able to take some advantage of it with the planting...

Virginia (905) – A representative from the District of Kentucky arrives at the Governor's office, one Mr. Raymond Earl (NPC). He intends to discuss Virginia's consent to the District becoming a State in it's own right, which as you know was given under the Articles, but a decision was made to postpone any action until once the new system of government was in place. He's here to hammer out any finer details of whatever arrangement is to be made, and seems to be a quite agreeable fellow.

-

Imperator Taco Cat @Hestia @Euri @Cal @Bushwa777 @Murrman104 @Blockmon @ShortKing @10centjimmy @matthewyoung123 @The Blood @Rezi @WVProgressive @Pringles @Dobs @Ich_bin_Tyler

so just the question, what is the current state of the economy and domestic stability in a short paragraph?

2 minutes ago, Blockmon said:

so just the question, what is the current state of the economy and domestic stability in a short paragraph?

Yeah, for the record you guys can think of me as "Key Advisor" in addition to GM and that position isn't playable, but also everyone has a key advisor.  I can make a report on nearly anything you ask for, but there's also sometimes a "fog of war" so to speak.

Domestic stability is okay, borderline good.  There is a lot of complain about, in short, but the people and politicians have a sense of optimism.  You have a tall task ahead of you guys, but as long as you handle everything competently, people will probably be satisfied and give you leeway.  If you guys start to make questionable decisions, well, the cracks will start to show, and there are cracks to be hand, both political and sectional.  It's also said you can't please everyone, too, so eventually you might have to "break some eggs" so to speak, just be smart about when you have to do it to avoid pissing off too many people too fast.

In terms of the economy, the country is really suffering from a lack of unified policy and Northern states have a large amount of debt from the war which is burdening them.  Some might argue doing ANYTHING could help, as long as you take a unified front, but that still has the challenge of getting everyone to agree on what specific plan to use.  There's also, and this goes for many issues, reluctance of some states to help other states, because while we have the Constitution now, what does it actually mean?  The South is doing okay economically, for instance, but that in large part has to do not only with "free" labor but also their in general smaller population size making them easier to manage.  They also didn't need to finance as much to fight the war.

This may be getting longwinded, but President Gold's economic policies are generally sound and do help the economy, but they are expensive.  They have not helped the North's debt situation, even if internal improvements do improve the economy.  His election would seem to signal that there is support for trying this path at a national scale, but be warned that if roadblocks are encountered there *will* be detractors for the above mentioned reasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

ACTION: Secretary of the Treasury Kent proposes a national bank and tariffs to be raised to 5% to help pay down debt

Technically the federal government has no debt, it's all state debt.  You'd have to get the debt from the states first.  (See:  Hamilton vs Jefferson rap battle).  You can propose a national bank, though, do you want to find someone specific in Congress to work with?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Technically the federal government has no debt, it's all state debt.  You'd have to get the debt from the states first.  (See:  Hamilton vs Jefferson rap battle).  You can propose a national bank, though, do you want to find someone specific in Congress to work with?

Also to be clear, as I said, you can basically do as many things as you want within reason.  You can work with Congress on a national bank AND try to assume state debts.  Furthermore, a tariff will indeed need to be discussed at some point (it's in the agenda) so I can factor in your input into the debate on that.

5 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

How long would the process be to pass major legislation? Are we going to have committee votes and such? Does Congress have committees right now or is that also something we'll need to decide in game?

I also want to know how congress works. do you have simulated NPCs? or is it generalized to states or parties?

1 minute ago, ShortKing said:

How long would the process be to pass major legislation? Are we going to have committee votes and such? Does Congress have committees right now or is that also something we'll need to decide in game?

Committee assignments and votes etc are generally abstracted and dependent on relevant player support and dice rolls.  If a lot of players support something, it'll surely pass, and a bad dice roll will be more about bad PR or unintended consequences of your actions.  If it's more close, a bad dice roll might mean the bill fails.  Now that said, if you want to take actions to stack specific committees and use dirty tricks, sure, you can do that, and it'll give you an advantage.  It'll still be abstracted, but it'll be something I take into account when processing outcomes.  If you spend a few turns getting your close allies on the rules committee, etc, then everybody else better watch out, cause you're bringing receipts.  I'm not gonna do a roll call vote of your shenanigans though generally, it'll be more about the flavor.

As for how long it takes a bill to pass, it depends on many things.  An important bill probably takes longer than a less important bill, as a rule of thumb, but generally I'm going to have things at least have an "announcement" and then "outcome" turn, so everyone gets a chance to influence it once.  If it's taking awhile, that's just more turns for people to throw influence around.  If you want to railroad something, you could perhaps try to expedite a bill, or, conversely, slow it down, so in fact how many turns something is being debated can be influenced by the players too.

Just for reference, the first agenda item, the "rules/Congressional foundational" package I expect to take this turn, next turn, and then final outcome the turn after that, unless someone really decides they want to mess with it hardcore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Blockmon said:

I also want to know how congress works. do you have simulated NPCs? or is it generalized to states or parties?

Sometimes there will be NPCs, but generally I abstract it to the party/faction level.  It's kind of nebulous at the moment since parties/factions haven't really developed, but knowing how you lot are, I'm sure that will be remedied quite quickly.  I do have every state's Congressional delegation listed by pro/anti administration right now, with humans not included in pro/anti, but it's more of a quick reference that can be changed and retconned without any of you ever being any the wiser that I changed anything depending on how the plot developed, but it'll assist me if I ever need to quickly pull an NPC out of my ass.

• Haha 2

Representative Bull, having experienced the power of the French navy firsthand at the battle of Yorktown, ACTION calls for an increased investment in river/coastal fefenses and ships to protect trade and settlers from piracy, Native incursions, and foreign threats. 

He ACTION proposes an increase in domestic tariffs to 8 cents per ton for this investment, and to secure funding for the Federal Departments of the Navy and War to maintain the fleet/Defenses.  

He ACTION calls for ship/Defense contracts to be shared between maritime industries across the country. 

Finally, Rep Bull ACTION calls for the establishment of a US Naval Academy, to train officers for this expanded fleet in modern tactics, maintenance, and seamanship. The Academy location will be determined after passage of this proposal. 

Edited by 10centjimmy

7 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Representative Bull, having experienced the power of the French navy firsthand at the battle of Yorktown, calls for an increased investment in river/coastal fefenses and ships to protect trade and settlers from piracy, Native incursions, and foreign threats. 

He proposes an increase in domestic tariffs to 8 cents per ton for this investment, and to secure funding for the Federal Departments of the Navy and War to maintain the fleet/Defenses.  

He calls for ship/Defense contracts to be shared between maritime industries across the country. 

Finally, Rep Bull calls for the establishment of a US Naval Academy, to train officers for this expanded fleet in modern tactics, maintenance, and seamanship. The Academy location will be determined after passage of this proposal. 

Can I assume these are all actions?  Even if they are obviously ya'll can discuss them, we're not robots, but I just want to be clear.