The Political Lounge

Western Philosophy Game

vcczar

I think I may have finally figured out how my Western Philosophy game will work. It will be a three player game that can be done solitaire. 

The beginner level will deal with just philosophers and those that influenced them and who they influenced. The game allows drawing cards, passing cards, trading cards. 

The veteran level will deal with not only philosophers but their ideas. 

Advanced will deal with other modes of thought (mathematics, music, etc.) 

Your goal is to achieve certain chains and score points for these. For instance, linking a philosopher chains from prehistory to present would score a ton of points, for instance. 

Right now I'm working on just the philosophers and their influences, but I'll later have more.

For instance, for Socrates we have (see below). If you "have" Socrates, then you want to also eventually gather all of his ideas before he's taken from you, as someone else might also want to have Socrates so they can continue down the philosopher chain. Your cards will always have a chance of being taken.:

1. Socrates -470

1. Moral philosophy

2. Ethical tradition

3. Socratic Dialogue

4. Socratic Problem

5. Socratic Irony

6. Socratic Method

7. Social Gadfly

8. Socratic Intellectualism

9. Socratic Paradox

10. The Unexamined Life

11. Teleology

12. Trial of Socrates

13. Influenced:

1. Prodicus, Anaxagoras, Archelaus, Diotima, Damon, Parmenides

14. Influences:

Virtually all subsequent Western philosophy, especially his followers, e.g., Plato, Xenophon, Antisthenes, Aristippus, Euclid of Megara, Phaedo of Elis

Getting to know philosophers and their main ideas. Like being able to say things like "Kierkegaard is considered the father of Existentialism while also influencing Sartre heavily" after playing the game.

I also wonder how many philosophers your game will include. Will it just be the household names like Heidegger, Adorno and Locke or will the game also feature lesser known philosophers like Friedrich Schleiermacher for example?

47 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Getting to know philosophers and their main ideas. Like being able to say things like "Kierkegaard is considered the father of Existentialism while also influencing Sartre heavily" after playing the game.

I also wonder how many philosophers your game will include. Will it just be the household names like Heidegger, Adorno and Locke or will the game also feature lesser known philosophers like Friedrich Schleiermacher for example?

I’ll likely include every philosopher that had a notable influence on major philosophers. I have 105 of them right now. It will be expanded. So we’ll have Aristotle and Christian Wolff. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, vcczar said:

What kind of thing are you all looking for in a Western Philosophy/Western Intellectual game? What would make you excited to play it and replay it?

I worry that this type of game would be so niche as to not even have a cottage industry to support it. Political gaming is an underserved but rabid fan base, so AMPU was, in my view, a home run of a market satisfier. I wonder what market this would satisfy?

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Dobs said:

I worry that this type of game would be so niche as to not even have a cottage industry to support it. Political gaming is an underserved but rabid fan base, so AMPU was, in my view, a home run of a market satisfier. I wonder what market this would satisfy?

It’s a fair enough concern, but I’ll progress anyway. 

• Based 3

I've now added Philosopher from Thales through Ludwig Wittgenstein. Once I get to the present, I'll start adding some of the influencers who might not be the top 120 Philosophers in history. I'll then start integrating some non-philosophers that influenced philosophy, such as Newton, Shakespeare, Darwin, etc.