The Political Lounge

Shakespeare RP 2

vcczar

@ConservativeElector2 @Rodja

Player Set Up: December 1575

Instructions: Please respond to each of the 9 parts below.

Player Setup:

1. Select a name (ideally an English name for historical accuracy): 
    1. Note: You will all be 21 years old, born in 1555. You'll all be single and childless at first. You all will quit your original job to commit to the theatre full time. 
  2. Select an place of birth from the list below. 
    1. London
    2. Southwark
    3. Shoreditch
    4. Whitechapel
    5. Deptford
    6. Westminster
    7. Surrey
    8. Middlesex
    9. Canterbury
    10. Oxford
    11. Cambridge
    12. Stratford-Upon-Avon
    13. Hastings
    14. Brighton
    15. Ipswich
    16. Bristol
    17. Taunton
    18. York
    19. Newcastle
    20. Coventry
    21. Exeter
    22. Dover
    23. Kent
    24. Norwich
    25. Netherlands
    26. Wales
    27. Scotland
  3. Religion (pick from below)
    1. Protestant (Anglican)
    2. Protestant (Calvinistic)
    3. Protestant (Secular)
    4. Protestant (Catholic Convert)
    5. Protestant (Jewish Convert)
    6. Crypto-Catholic
    7. Crypto-Atheist
    8. Crypto-Jewish
  4. Select father’s profession (pick from below and note requirements)
    1. Servant to Queen Elizabeth (req: Westminster hometown)
    2. Servant to a nobleman (req: Westminster hometown)
    3. London lawyer (req: Hometown London)
    4. Landed Gentry Yeoman (req: Hometown outside London)
    5. Merchant
    6. Artisan
    7. Scribe (req: Hometown London, Oxford, Cambridge, or Canterbury)
    8. Farmer (req: Outside London, Oxford, Cambridge)
    9. Fisherman 
    10. Tavernkeeper
    11. Innkeeper (req: London hometown)
    12. Landlord (req: London hometown)
    13. Laborer (req: London hometown)
    14. Soldier
    15. Sailor
    16. Touring Actor (req: London hometown)
  5. Education (pick one of the below. Notice the requirements)
    1. None (req: parents sailor, soldier, laborer, fisherman, or touring actor)
    2. Common School 
    3. Oxford
    4. Cambridge
    5. Inns of Court 
  6. Select occupational experience (pick one of the below. notice requirements)
    1. Farmer (req father as farmer)
    2. Scribe (req university)
    3. Lawyer (req Inns of Court)
    4. Innkeeper (req father was innkeeper)
    5. Tavernkeeper (req father was tavernkeeper)
    6. Draper (req father was artisan)
    7. Clothier (req father was artisan)
    8. Dyer (req father was artisan)
    9. Haberdasher (req father was artisan)
    10. Goldsmith (req father was artisan)
    11. Touring Actor (req father was touring actor)
    12. Acrobat (req father was touring actor)
    13. Baker (req father was artisan)
    14. Candlemaker (req father was artisan)
    15. Minstrel (req father was touring actor)
    16. Fishmonger (req father was fisherman)
    17. Grocer (req father was touring actor)
    18. Tailor (req father was touring actor)
    19. Soldier (req father was soldier or laborer)
    20. Sailor (req father was sailor or laborer)
    21. Carpenter (req father was artisan)
    22. Mercer (req father was artisan)
    23. Blacksmith (req father was artisan)
    24. Miller (req father was artisan)
    25. Vintner (req father was artisan)
    26. Salter (req father was artisan)
    27. Cook (req father was servant of Queen or Nobleman)
    28. Clerk (req university or inns of court education)
    29. Shoemaker (req father was artisan)
  7. Part of a livery? (not requirement)
    1. Yes (req: You occupational experience requires that your father was an artisan)
    2. No because I’m not an artisan
  8. Home neighborhood that you just moved to (pick one below):
    1. Southwark (Bankside)
    2. City of London (Blackfriars)
    3. City of London (Cheapside)
    4. City of London (Aldgate)
    5. City of London (Cripplegate)
    6. City of London (Cornhill)
    7. Covent Garden (Drury Lane)
    8. Shoreditch
    9. Whitechapel
    10. Middlesex (Islington)
    11. Surrey (Newington Butts)
  9. Current housing (pick one below and note requirements)
    1. No permanent residence as I sleep in various Inns (req: must be in Cornhill, Whitechapel, or Southwark)
    2. Rented room in a neighborhood (Any of the City of London locations)
    3. Rented floor above a shop (Any of the City of London Locations)
    4. Rented tenement room in a suburb of London (req: Anywhere not in the City of London)

The above will eventually play a role in events, interactions, and other things. 

@vcczar

1. Arthur Lancaster
  2. Select an place of birth from the list below. 
    1. Ipswich
  3. Religion (pick from below)
    1. Crypto-Catholic
  4. Select father’s profession (pick from below and note requirements)
    1. Landed Gentry Yeoman (req: Hometown outside London)
  5. Education (pick one of the below. Notice the requirements)
    1. Oxford
  6. Select occupational experience (pick one of the below. notice requirements)
    1. Clerk (req university or inns of court education)
  7. Part of a livery? (not requirement)
    1. No because I’m not an artisan
  8. Home neighborhood that you just moved to (pick one below):
    1. Whitechapel
  9. Current housing (pick one below and note requirements)
    1. Rented tenement room in a suburb of London (req: Anywhere not in the City of London)
  • Thanks 1

@Rodja @ConservativeElector2

It is December 1575 in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. Two men independently come up with an idea to establish a permanent theatre presence in London, hoping to dominate London entertainment. 

Bernard Sanders, age 21, arrives from Bristol earlier in the year, a merchant and a son of a merchant. He is currently renting rooms in London's Aldgate neighborhood. 

Just outside the walls of Algate, in the suburb of Whitechapel, is Arthur Lancaster of Ipswich, age 21. He is a recent law graduate at Oxford and has been clerking for a lawyer in London. As he's renting a room in Whitechapel, he must be clerking for an uninfluential lawyer. Lancaster is the son of a landed gentry yeoman.

Events (none of these require a response):

The 1572 Decree and the 1574 Royal Patent You make your way to the Inns of Court to seek a lawyer privy to the laws that might impact a theatre business. Ultimately, a Mr. Henry Black, off the top of his head, recalls the 1572 Decree and the 1574 Royal Patent. The former stipulates that all actors must serve under a patron with a noble or royal title, lest they be treated as vagabonds. The latter law blocks local authorities from suppressing plays as it gives that power to the Lord Chamberlain and his servant the Master of the Revels, who actually handles all theatre and entertainment matters. Both laws actually protect actors, who are favored by aristocrat, although disliked by city authorities. The city authorities, while unable to suppress plays, can prevent the building of theatres within the City Walls.
London Population of 1575 London is easily the largest city in England. It is believed the entirety of England is composed of 3 to 4 million people. London is home of 300,000 people, if you include the suburbs. No other city is close to 50,000 people. While a Londoner might not bat an eye. A newcomer would be overwhelmed by not only the noise and pungeant smells, but by the seeming willingness of people to live on top of each other. The tenement housing in the suburbs, in Aldgate within the walls in the East, and the alleys and sidestreets of central London are particularly bad. Immigration to London, both foreign and domestic, is constant. Life in London is hard, hectic, but also profitable.
Plagues in London One thing you keep in mind is the ever-returning plague. The density of London leads to a swifter, greater death toll than any other place in England. Those wealthy enough will escape to the country if they have another residence. The last plague to hit London was in 1563, well-within memory. We are due for another one. At some point, it will be nice to have a country home, and this might be crucially important once you have a family.
Elizabeth's Reign Queen Elizabeth has been on the throne since 1558. At 42, it seems unlikely that she'll be married or produce an heir. The uncertainty of who rules after Elizabeth has helped in producing a hectic reign. She has survived several assassination attempts and squashed potential religious wars in the country. As such, England operates like a police state. Loyalty to the Queen and to the Church of England is legally mandatory. Plays that are deemed dangerous to church or state are suppressed.
Theatre Critics While we can trust aristocrats and the Queen to favor the theatre, we face opposition from the City Authorities and the growing Puritan movement within the Church of England. London's Lord Mayor and the city Aldermen gain their support from wealthier residence by promising safer, quieter streets. Theatres are believed to bring noise, congested traffic, lower class crowds,crime, and help in the spread of disease. The Puritans, it seems, believe anything fun to be Satanic.
Master of the Revels We learn that Thomas Blasgrave is the current Master of the Revels. His office is at St. John's Priory, the site of a former monastary, in Clerkenwell, one of the northwest suburbs of London. It is through the Master of the Revels that we must gain all permission of entertainment. He will have to be paid to find a patron for the company, paid to license a new theatre, and paid to review every play we intent to stage. The Master of the Revels has the power to suppress a play, demand revision, and he can punish offending company members with fines and imprisonment.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have a little more time now that Anthony is working part-time on the game for a bit, so I'll progress with this one, albeit slowly. 

Tomorrow (Sunday) you should be able to hire your first actors.

Generally, when seeking hirable people you'll either go yourself or send your manager to one of these locations. None of the locations guarantee you'll get someone or the type of person you are intending to get. It just makes it much more likely you'll find the type of person you are looking for. 

1. Search Mermaid Tavern (Cheapside) for hirables with writing skill
  2. Cardinal’s Hat Tavern (Bankside) for hirables exclusively for acting or primarily acting
  3. Boar’s Head Tavern (Eastcheap) for low-skill hirables with multiple staff skill
  4. Go to Guild Hall to seek apprentices reluctantly waiting in line for a “real job.”
  5. Go to Saint Paul’s Cathedral to find a boy actor from their choir who would like to act.

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I have a little more time now that Anthony is working part-time on the game for a bit, so I'll progress with this one, albeit slowly. 

Tomorrow (Sunday) you should be able to hire your first actors.

Generally, when seeking hirable people you'll either go yourself or send your manager to one of these locations. None of the locations guarantee you'll get someone or the type of person you are intending to get. It just makes it much more likely you'll find the type of person you are looking for. 

1. Search Mermaid Tavern (Cheapside) for hirables with writing skill
  2. Cardinal’s Hat Tavern (Bankside) for hirables exclusively for acting or primarily acting
  3. Boar’s Head Tavern (Eastcheap) for low-skill hirables with multiple staff skill
  4. Go to Guild Hall to seek apprentices reluctantly waiting in line for a “real job.”
  5. Go to Saint Paul’s Cathedral to find a boy actor from their choir who would like to act.

Actually, you'll go to the Master of the Revels first to find a patron. 

• Like 1

The impresarios pay a visit to the Master of the Revels, Thomas Blasgrave, over the course of December (not at the same time, of course). The Master of the Revels collects his 10 pounds from each man--a total of 1/4th of the total startup cash--to apply for a patron. Eventually, the Master of the Revels returns with a report of nobles interested in being the patron for a theatre company. 

All of their terms are about the same:

• The Company will be officially servants in the household of the nobleman. This protects the actors from vagabond laws. 
  • The Company will be financially independent of the noble man. This protects the nobles from our company becoming a financial burden to them, but it also protects our profits. 
  • The company will be loyal to Queen Elizabeth and the Church of England. 
  • The company will follow the rules laid out by the Master of the Revels. 
  • The bond between patron and company will end either on the patrons death or by royal or parliamentary demand. 
  • The only differing contract is with the Earl of Oxford, who sees himself as a playwright. He demands to be the author of any plays written by the company. 

In a computerized form of this game, you would all take turns randomly selecting a patron from the list, but I'm just going to do first come first serve. So, pick your patron! Make sure you don't pick anyone already picked. Patrons are generally invisible, but I give a chance they might help out in a way. 

Patron Company Name Can Apply For Annual Prestige 50 Pound Loan Chance Chance Donation of Royal Hand-Me-Downs for Costumes Chance Donation of Noble Hand-Me-Downs for Costumes Chance Donation of Wealthy Hand-Me-Downs for Costumes Chance Donation of Knights & Warfare Hand-Me-Downs for Costumes Chance Perform at Patron's Estate Other Bonuses

William Cecil, Lord Burghley Lord Treasurer's Men Yes 50 5 5 10 10 0 5  
Edward Seymour, Earl of Hertford Hertford's Men Yes 20 5 0 10 5 5 5  
Thomas Sackville, Lord Buckhurst Buckhurst's Men Yes 10 5 0 10 10 0 10  
Ambrose Dudley, Earl of Warwick Warwick's Men Yes 20 5 0 5 5 10 5  
Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford Oxford's Men Yes 20 5 0 10 5 0 10 Serves as Company Playwright
Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester Leicester's Men Yes 50 5 5 10 5 5 5  
Henry Herbert, Earl of Pembroke Pembroke's Men Yes 20 5 0 10 5 5 5  
George Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury Earl Marshal's Men Yes 20 5 0 5 5 10 5  
Giles Brydges, Lord Chandos Chandos's Men Yes 10 5 0 5 10 5 5  
Robert Devereaux, Earl of Essex Essex's Men Yes 20 10 0 10 5 10 5  

13 hours ago, Rodja said:

I'm in Tivat,Montenegro until Friday,if you could automate for me until then I'd be grateful 

I can wait until Friday. There isn't any rush for this playtest at the moment. I'd rather you play each move so I can get better feedback after this playtest. 

We will move to the hiring actors phase on either Friday or Saturday after Rodja picks his patron when he returns. @Rodja @ConservativeElector2

• Like 1

@Rodja and @ConservativeElector2

I just realized, I'm supposed to fill your acting rosters at this time. You only seek new actors when there's a vacancy. 

Both impressarios travel to various taverns, inns, and other areas of entertainment seeking men of all ages that may have acting potential. Occasionally, one notes a touring actor--an actor from a troupe that travels from town-to-town and sometimes even across to Europe. Acting is just now legal in London, so it is expacted that some of these actors may be in town hoping to see if anyone has started up a business. 

Slowly, both impressarios gather enough actors to get started. 

[Note: I'll let you know when I can post these to your spreadsheets.]

Actors Hired

What's interesting is that neither of you got any historical actors. You all got actors destined for support. The thing is some of these guys have range if you see their abilities. Some may be capable of writing generic plays, at least. Some may boost rehearsing. Some may be able to handle staff work instead to upkeep the theatre, scripts, etc. Since you both will be the only playing company, you'll eventually find talented actors and get them. Since you both have mediocre actors, there is nothing really to fear. 

I think hiring staff might be next, but I'll do that when I have time at some point. I also need to subtract money from your company for hiring these. I need to figure that out. I'll let you know when I've posted the next part of this. 

Here are your inaugural acting rosters. There are three types of actors. Adult, Apprentice, and Boy actors. An adult is any actor over 21. An apprentice is between ages 18 and 20 (although it could be 16, I need to double check). A boy actor can be hired as young as 8. Since women could not act, female roles were given to apprentice and boy actors. Lead apprentice typically played the lead female role. Lastly, you'll be able to shift around people's roles as long as they are of age of the role.:

@ConservativeElector2

Lead Dramatist Robert Smith
Lead Clown William Mason
Lead Support John Goodluck
Support 2 Edward Cod
Support 3 Thomas Shipwash
Lead Apprentice Thomas Sparrow
Apprentice 2 Edward Cole
Apprentice 3 John Conquest
Boy 1 James Strangeways
Boy 2 Charles Chaplain

@Rodja

Lead Dramatist Henry Makepeace
Lead Clown Robert Sherman
Lead Support Philip Ander
Support 1 Robert Blackadder
Support 2 William Sheraton
Lead Apprentice Humphrey Barfoot
Apprentice 2 Tobias Damsell
Apprentice 3 David Michaelgrove
Boy 1 Christopher Beer
Boy 2 James Clerk
  • Like 1

@Rezi @ConservativeElector2

Reposting my write-up from last playtest because it applies here. You have until Thursday to do this, which is when I can next work on this. Read below:

============================

The companies now need performance spaces. For simplicities sake, you'll need 26 performances a month, as you can't perform on Sundays. 

This will be a little rocky at first because London isn't really prepared for the theatre. There really isn't a single true theatre, although the theatre at Newington Butts comes closest. The owner of the Red Lion Farm is willing to reconvert the farm into a small theatre there for 15 pounds, but all of you only have 30 pounds left and you'll need that for more things. There had been a theatre there from 1567-1568 but it closed as the theatre wasn't yet ready to take off in London. 

Here are some things to keep in mind:

• You want to find enough performance space for 26 performances. If you can't get Newington Butts, then you'll have to jump around to different part-time locations. 
  • For part-time locations, you can't book them back to back. So you will have to jump from one to another, although you can jump back to one you've booked before. 
  • If you think your company is better than other player's, then you might want to book spaces that are likely to have competition. However, if you think your company is weak, you'll want to book a space that hasn't any other performance spaces.
  • The closer you are to the City of London, the more likely you'll have a larger audience. The locations of the current theatres will put you either in the City of London, East End or Southwark. 
  • Check the terms for the rent cost. You'll almost certainly make enough for rent, but you'll need profit to keep the theatre running. 
  • One option, if you can't land a performance space, is to go on tour to the countryside. You won't make much money but the costs are much lower. 

See these performance spaces below, and then place them in the order that you hope to go from space-to-space. If there are any conflicts, I'll let you know. Please see what the other companies have booked. First come first serve:

Theatre Space Status Terms Rent Location Opens Closes Availability Type Total Audience Capacity
Boar's Head Inn   Available 3 days a week 5 shillings per day Whitechapel (East End) 1557 1616 Part-time Innyard 500
The Bull Inn   Available 3 days a week 5 shillings per day Aldgate (City of London) 1575 1594 Part-time Innyard 500
Saracen's Head Inn   Available 3 days a week 5 shillings per day Aldgate (City of London) 1557 1594 Part-time Innyard 500
Newington Butts Theatre   Available to rent for 3-month lease Half the galleries income for the performance Newington Butts (Southwark) 1576 1595 Full-time Small Outdoor 1000
The Beargarden   Available 1 day a week 1 pound per day Bankside (Southwark) 1576 1594 Part-time Medium Outdoor 1500
The Bull Ring   Available 1 day a week 1 pound per day Bankside (Southwark) 1576 1594 Part-time Medium Outdoor 1500
The Bell Inn   Available for a 1-week lease 10 shillings per day Cornhill (City of London) 1576 1594 Part-time Innyard w/ indoor hall 500
The George Inn - Southwark   Available 3 days a week 5 shillings per day St Mary's (Southwark) 1576 1594 Part-time Innyard 500
The George Inn - Whitechapel   Available 3 days a week 5 shillings per day Whitechapel (East End) 1576 1594 Part-time Innyard 500
The Tabard Inn   Available 3 days a week 5 shillings per day St Mary's (Southwark) 1576 1594 Part-time Innyard 0
The Red Lion Farm   Available; Convertible to Theatre for 15 pounds and then leased for a year Half the galleries income for the performance Whitechapel (East End) 1567 1568 Full-time Small Outdoor 1000

28 minutes ago, vcczar said:
  • You want to find enough performance space for 26 performances. If you can't get Newington Butts, then you'll have to jump around to different part-time locations. 

If @Rodja agrees we could split Newington Butts evenly between us. This would give us both 13 performances there. As we are only two players I don't think we need to take this ''first come, first serve'' too serious.

10 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

If @Rodja agrees we could split Newington Butts evenly between us. This would give us both 13 performances there. As we are only two players I don't think we need to take this ''first come, first serve'' too serious.

I agree.

• Like 2

@ConservativeElector2 @Rodja. Now you both have 13 more days that need performace spaces. I also need to know which days you'll each be in Newington Butts. 

1-13 Newington Butts; 14 - and so on. 

Then 1-13 where?; 14-26 Newington Butts. 

Your remaining locations may be varied. Once you can afford your own theatre you won't have to bother with this tedium. 

10 hours ago, vcczar said:

@ConservativeElector2 @Rodja. Now you both have 13 more days that need performace spaces. I also need to know which days you'll each be in Newington Butts. 

Your remaining locations may be varied. Once you can afford your own theatre you won't have to bother with this tedium. 

I have filled out the sheet. Unless I have done that wrong, you should find everything there.

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2023 at 12:08 AM, vcczar said:

1-13 The Bell Inn

I got Rodja added to the venue schedule. The Bell Inn can't do 1-13 since it isn't available on weekend. 

Technically, Newington Butts is rented for 3 months and isn't day-to-day. 

It looks like only two places are available day-to-day, if you look at the terms. Most won't book you unless you're there for a few days. It is supposed to be something of a booking puzzle. 

However, I don't really have the time or patience to really care. It's also not that important for what I'm mostly wanting to playtest and it matters more if there are a ton of companies. I think just to make the playtest more convienient this time around, next month I'll just have you stay in one play all one month. I realized that with my limited time, having to simulate and worry about what theatre you're at for that day (because the theatre and location is important) is going to use up several days of my time towards working on this. 

Anyway, this new rule I'll apply for next month's venues for this playtest only will make things a lot easier for you too. 

I gotta do stuff for work. Not sure what phase is next, but I'll let you know when I have time to look.

• Based 1

@ConservativeElector2 and @Rodja

Ok, found the part of next section I typed for the old playtest and will post it here. Let's see if we can get this done by Monday at the latest. If you get it done over the weekend, I might be able to process it:

The Impresarios have gone through a nightmare of a time trying to find a place to stage their plays. As the internet and modern booking didn't exist then, each impresarios probably had to personally make 20 trips all over the London area on foot over the course of the month to find a locations. As paper was expensive, writing a letter wasn't practical. Eventually, the companies will want a permanent theatre, and they'll appoint a manager to handle some of the more tedious aspects for their company. The constant moving from location to location will cut in to rehearsal time, since the entire company will need to move locations. 

Up next: Hiring staff.  Look at your current actors. If they have a "Yes" listed under "Prompter," "Tireman," "Stagekeeper," or "Manager," then they can hold these staff positions. Only a manager can act and manage, although they'll occasionally lose some of their acting bonuses, so it's often best to not have your lead also manage. It's a good idea to probably move one of your crappy actors to staff so you can potentially draw a better actor as a replace. Please copy+past this form and insert the names of your staff members. If you want to draw a staff member, rather than move an actor to staff, then just put "draw.":

• Manager (Officially represents the company and acts as your administrative #2. Can retrain their acting position)  :
  • Prompter (Manages the play manuscripts, writes out the lines for each actor, plots the play for the actors): 
  • Tireman (Manages the costumes, repairs and amends the costumes, etc.): 
  • Stagekeeper (Cleans the theatre, repairs the stage, decorates the stage, writes the play bills to advertise the play and hangs them up in the area): 

While the last three lose their acting position, they technically will act in scenes that require crowds or a lot of actors, which is why low skill actors often handled these roles. In addition to these, when you have a new play, you'll hire unnamed scribes to aid the prompter, and you'll hire unnamed gatherers (collect money at the doors) for when plays are staged. Gatherers were often family members and spouses. Scribes aided the prompter in writing out all the lines for the actors since they generally had about a day to do this.