The Political Lounge

New York City 2021 Mayoral Election Roleplay

The Blood

Hello! With the primaries winding down for NYC's Mayoral Election, I saw it fit to start an RP for what has been an interesting and constantly-developing race so far. After checking in with the Doblets, I think we should be able to find enough RPers to adequately fill the interesting cast of candidates who have appeared in this race.

We'll be starting on January 1st, 2021, when each candidate will make their announcement for Mayor(I will roll a d100 on this announcement to factor into starting polling, and you can pick your candidate by making this announcement), and from then on we'll be moving in two-week intervals for each turn until the Republican and Democratic primaries on June 22nd, giving us a total of 13 turns in the primaries. We'll then have the General Election run from July 12th to the election date on November 2nd using the same system, giving us 8 turns for the GE.  

Three events will be required each turn(Except for this first turn, which will be announcements-only), and a D10 will be rolled for all non-announcement turns. 

There will be 3 primary debates for each party starting in May and going up through June and 2 General Election debates, each in October.

As I said, this has been a really interesting race so far, and I'm excited to see where we can go with this RP. Ranked-Choice Voting is something which should be interesting to manage and see play out, and there will be the possibility for candidates to form RCV alliances. Thank you all, and here are the possible candidates.

Democratic:

Eric Adams @Timur

Maya Wiley @Cal

Kathryn Garcia @Hestia

Andrew Yang @Rodja

Scott Stringer @Rezi

Dianne Morales 

Ray McGuire @Dobs

Shaun Donovan @Sean F Kennedy

Paperboy Prince

Republican:

Curtis Sliwa @WVProgressive

Fernando Mateo @Zenobiyl

Edited by The Blood

21 minutes ago, The Blood said:

Hello! With the primaries winding down for NYC's Mayoral Election, I saw it fit to start an RP for what has been an interesting and constantly-developing race so far. After checking in with the Doblets, I think we should be able to find enough RPers to adequately fill the interesting cast of candidates who have appeared in this race.

We'll be starting on January 1st, 2021, when each candidate will make their announcement for Mayor(I will roll a d100 on this announcement to factor into starting polling, and you can pick your candidate by making this announcement), and from then on we'll be moving in two-week intervals for each turn until the Republican and Democratic primaries on June 22nd, giving us a total of 13 turns in the primaries. We'll then have the General Election run from July 12th to the election date on November 2nd using the same system, giving us 8 turns for the GE.  

Three events will be required each turn(Except for this first turn, which will be announcements-only), and a D10 will be rolled for all non-announcement turns. 

There will be 3 primary debates for each party starting in May and going up through June and 2 General Election debates, each in October.

As I said, this has been a really interesting race so far, and I'm excited to see where we can go with this RP. Ranked-Choice Voting is something which should be interesting to manage and see play out, and there will be the possibility for candidates to form RCV alliances. Thank you all, and here are the possible candidates.

Democratic:

Eric Adams

Maya Wiley

Kathryn Garcia @Hestia

Andrew Yang

Scott Stringer @Rezi

Dianne Morales 

Ray McGuire

Shaun Donovan

Paperboy Prince

Republican:

Curtis Sliwa

Fernando Mateo @Zenobiyl

How to debate?

1 minute ago, Timur said:

How to debate?

I'll probably just have candidates send me a core message, pander to a certain demographic, and an attack on another candidate like I've done in RPs before, and then I'll roll a D10 on each of those to get each candidate's debate score.

1 minute ago, Rodja said:

@The BloodShould we do announcements yet?

Yes, you can all start making announcements if you've picked a candidate. I plan on pinging for announcements once I'm sure no one else is joining. 

Andrew Yang announces running for NYC Mayor in a video released on Twitter.He emphasizes cosmopolitan nature of NYC calling it "heartland of american dream".He points out problems in the city like homelessness and pollution and pledges to fight for "big structural change" to solve them.He finishes with personal story of going from asian kid bullied at school to potential next mayor of NYC

Shaun Donovan announces bid for Mayor

The former HUD Secretary in the Obama administration announced today his candidacy to succeed Bill DeBlasio, his main focus in the campaign is simultaneously touting his record as HUD Secretary and being close to the former President and gaining momentum from the progressive wing of the party by demanding extension on the eviction moratorium, stating that the pandemic may be winding down but the economic effects will be felt for years to come.

Maya Wiley, a civil rights attorney and former counsel to Mayor Bill de Blasio, is running to succeed the term-limited de Blasio as mayor of New York City in the 2021 election. In her campaign announcement video, Wiley offers an initial message of a city with greater equity and unity and presents herself as “not a conventional candidate,” needed now to tackle new and long-standing crises New York City faces. 

Wiley is expected to place police reform and racial justice, education equity and the desegregation of city schools, and economic opportunity at the center of her candidacy. With time, she may be able to be the most popular progressive in the race. 

Ferdinand Mateo announces his candidacy for the Republican primary for mayor of New York City with a speech next to the Statue of Liberty. Mateo announces that his administration will combat crime through an increase in the size of the police force, and improved accountability and education of the NYPD. He pledges to lower property taxes, abolish rent controls, and introduce a land value tax instead of the property tax to lower housing prices. Mateo also pledges to introduce legislation creating a 10 year tax exemption for new property construction, a policy previously enacted in the 1920s that spurred a decade of massive infrastructure development. Mateo ignores Trump and the culture war, instead focusing on his policies and the benefits they offer New York City. Finally, Mateo pledges to expand his prisoner rehabilitation program on Rikers to the rest of New York.

Kathryn Garcia launches her campaign for the mayoralty of New York City during a visit to Manhattan, where she stands in front of a small crowd that's assembled. She pledges to be a straight-shooter who will just get in and get the job done, no questions asked. She says that politics need to be taken out of the mayor's office and treat it like an actual job to help people, which has been lacking for years by now.

Ray McGuire will announce his campaign in Harlem, Manhattan. McGuire's announcement will be fit with the fire and charisma of a business leader such as himself. McGuire will focus on his business credentials and experience as an outsider. He will tack an aggressively anti-crime campaign with overt references to law and order and the need for economic mobility for communities of color in order to bring down crime. He'll further stress the need for the city to get off the back of small business owners and the working class and how his own biography reinforces this. He'll temper this with a need to hold big business accountable and accomplish real criminal justice reform but not at the expense of the NYPD's ability to get crime under control.

The McGuire coalition with aim for older people (especially elderly and more conservative Black and Hispanic voters) as well as cross over support from Republicans and Independents uncomfortable with the national GOP. He'll dive directly into the old base of the NYCGOP in the white working class as well as old, black, and hispanic voters hoping that this grand coalition of center-right to center-left interests tied together by the desire for an outsider and more business opportunity and less crime in New York will catapult his longshot bid into an unlikely victory. He hopes to eventually dominate the moderate and cross-over lanes as well as have a healthy stake in black and elderly voters.

McGuire for Security and Growth.

• Like 1

Scott Stringer will open his campaign with a rally in Washington Square park. Stringer will emphasize that he is the man who has the experience and is ready to take the job and run with it from day one! He pushes his progressive story, speaking of his popularity as Comptroller while protecting New York City's people and finances. He speaks of his bold progressive agenda, and distances himself from Bill De Blasio, trying to set himself up to be the standard bearer for the Resistance from the left.