The Political Lounge

Failed Presidential Candidate Tier List

vcczar

Mine is based mostly on ideological satisfaction. I make some minor adjustments for ability. The higher up the list, the more satisfied I am in general. I'd say S, A, and B are the only ones I'd have any really excitement for. A C means they're passable. A D means that I likely would never support them but they don't upset me to the degree that I would feel energized to vote against them. F means I could feasibly be more energized to vote against them than for someone else if they were facing a generic candidate. Most of these people would have strengthened slavery or opposed or weakened Civil Rights. I want to put some asterisks next to Henry Clay at A and WJ Bryan at C. Clay didn't really take any official slavery stance as a nominee. If he threw the South a bone on slavery, he would drop considerably. If WJ Bryan made some sort of promise to defend Civil Rights and jobs of black politicians, then he would rise to an A probably. As far as non-race related policy, anyone on S through C is good, and a few on D are acceptable. My top two choices are DeWitt Clinton and Robert LaFollette. The latter is ideal, but Clinton might have been an amazing president, especially on infrastructure and other modernizations. He was a modernist like Clay and JQ Adams but he was also much more in favor of social mobility than these two others. McGovern at A was a terrible campaign candidate, but he was an effective progressive legislator. He was basically the Elizabeth Warren of his time. You can thank him for nationwide primaries too. He was the central mover on that. 

image.png.a3e37d4eecea7b75d277204fd8c1b0f2.png

I ranked them by how preferable they were to the historical winner of the election(s) they ran in. I acknowledge that recency bias may be clouding my judgement on some of them.

candidate_tierlist.png.3645262c30ab858457809a0e85520668.png

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Mine is based mostly on ideological satisfaction. I make some minor adjustments for ability. The higher up the list, the more satisfied I am in general. I'd say S, A, and B are the only ones I'd have any really excitement for. A C means they're passable. A D means that I likely would never support them but they don't upset me to the degree that I would feel energized to vote against them. F means I could feasibly be more energized to vote against them than for someone else if they were facing a generic candidate. Most of these people would have strengthened slavery or opposed or weakened Civil Rights. I want to put some asterisks next to Henry Clay at A and WJ Bryan at C. Clay didn't really take any official slavery stance as a nominee. If he threw the South a bone on slavery, he would drop considerably. If WJ Bryan made some sort of promise to defend Civil Rights and jobs of black politicians, then he would rise to an A probably. As far as non-race related policy, anyone on S through C is good, and a few on D are acceptable. My top two choices are DeWitt Clinton and Robert LaFollette. The latter is ideal, but Clinton might have been an amazing president, especially on infrastructure and other modernizations. He was a modernist like Clay and JQ Adams but he was also much more in favor of social mobility than these two others. McGovern at A was a terrible campaign candidate, but he was an effective progressive legislator. He was basically the Elizabeth Warren of his time. You can thank him for nationwide primaries too. He was the central mover on that. 

image.png.a3e37d4eecea7b75d277204fd8c1b0f2.png

The charles evans hughes  pick is interesting. Is there a particular reason he's in the upper tier for you?

4 minutes ago, Murrman104 said:

The charles evans hughes  pick is interesting. Is there a particular reason he's in the upper tier for you?

Yeah. In 1916 he was still moderately progressive. He was more progressive as Gov of NY before. He moderated on the court with FDR. I’d still prefer Wilson if Wilson wasn’t segregating or ousting black bureaucrats. Hughes was to the left of Taft but to the right of TR which made him the perfect pick for 1916. He would have beat Wilson had he not been a wooden campaigner. If 1932 Hughes were the candidate he’d probably be a C or D on my list. 

How I think they would've served as President. Higher the tier, better Presidency I think they would've had.

We've had a lot of terrible people run for this nation's highest office who would've screwed things up much worse than they already are.

RankingofLosers.png.9fadf0df8030d346f6a128b5f4c9952d.png

• Based 1

2 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Surprised you have cringe Greeley so high

Yeah don't love Greeley and he was definitely an unnecessary pain in Lincoln's ass, but ultimately I feel his heart was very much in the right place. He could be lower C or high D if I really thought harder about it.

• Like 1