The Political Lounge

Ranked Choice Voting

MrPotatoTed

Imagine that it is 2024, and Joe Biden's first term is coming to a close.  But rather than having the kind of Presidential elections we all know and love so much, all voters are asked to list their top ten preferences for the Presidency.  You can name anyone who is eligible to serve in 2024 -- that is, anyone who is 35+, a US citizen by birth, and hasn't already served two four-year terms.

Rank your preferences in order.  1st place will be worth 10 points, 10th place will be worth one point.  All nominations will be tallied and a winner of the 2024 Presidency will be announced at noon Saturday.

1.Liz Cheney

2.Jeb!

3.John Bolton

4.Larry Hogan

5.Adam Kinzinger

6.Mike DeWine

7.John Bel Edwards

8.Kamala Harris

9.John Kasich

10.Joe Manchin

Edited by Timur
  • Like 1

1. Elizabeth Warren

2. Andrew Yang

3. Richard Ojeda

4. Howie Hawkins

5. Marianne Williamson

6. Jay Inslee

7. Robert Reich

8. Alan Guth

9. Elon Musk

10. John Kasich

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patine said:

Born in South Africa, remember, I'm afraid. 😞

Also, born to a Canadian mother...

• Like 1

Folks can continue to respond until noon Saturday, but so far, our tally is...

Elizabeth Warren 28 
Pete Buttigieg 15
Joe Biden 14
Bernie Sanders 13
JEB! Bush 11
Andrew Yang 11
----- Below this line, nobody was selected by more than one voter unless otherwise noted.
Liz Cheney 10
Carly Fiorina 10
Tim Scott 9
John Bolton 8
Larry Hogan 8 - On the list of two voters
Justin Amash 8
Richard Ojeda 8
Michelle Obama 7
Nikki Haley 7
Howie Hawkins 7
AOC 7
Julian Castro 6
Adam Kinzinger 6
Mitt Romney 6
Marianne Williamson 6
Ro Khanna 6
Cory Booker 5
Mike DeWine 5
Ben Sasse 5
Jay Inslee 5
Hillary Clinton 4
John Bel Edwards 4
John Kasich 4 - on the list of two voters
Paul Ryan 4
Robert Reich 4
Chuck Shumer 4
Kamala Harris 3
Marco Rubio 3
Alan Guth 3
Nina Turner 3
Raul Labrador 2
Chris Christie 1
Joe Manchin 1
Charles Booker 1

I removed Elon Musk as he's not a natural born American citizen, but haven't bothered researching whether the rest of the folks listed meet that minimum requirement.

14 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Folks can continue to respond until noon Saturday, but so far, our tally is...

Elizabeth Warren 28 
Pete Buttigieg 15
Joe Biden 14
Bernie Sanders 13
JEB! Bush 11
Andrew Yang 11
----- Below this line, nobody was selected by more than one voter unless otherwise noted.
Liz Cheney 10
Carly Fiorina 10
Tim Scott 9
John Bolton 8
Larry Hogan 8 - On the list of two voters
Justin Amash 8
Richard Ojeda 8
Michelle Obama 7
Nikki Haley 7
Howie Hawkins 7
AOC 7
Julian Castro 6
Adam Kinzinger 6
Mitt Romney 6
Marianne Williamson 6
Ro Khanna 6
Cory Booker 5
Mike DeWine 5
Ben Sasse 5
Jay Inslee 5
Hillary Clinton 4
John Bel Edwards 4
John Kasich 4 - on the list of two voters
Paul Ryan 4
Robert Reich 4
Chuck Shumer 4
Kamala Harris 3
Marco Rubio 3
Alan Guth 3
Nina Turner 3
Raul Labrador 2
Chris Christie 1
Joe Manchin 1
Charles Booker 1

I removed Elon Musk as he's not a natural born American citizen, but haven't bothered researching whether the rest of the folks listed meet that minimum requirement.

Mine is

1. Bernie Sanders

2. Elizabeth Warren (really tied for 1st for me.)

3. Jay Inslee

4. Sherrod Brown

5. Charles Booker

6. Cory Booker

7. Pete Buttigieg

8. Stacey Abrams

9. Jaime Harrison

10. Beto O'Rourke

Here's a list of 10. I think anyone from 6 down could be knocked out if others come to mind, but I haven't a lot of time to think about this.

1.Bernie Sanders

2.Elizabeth Warren

3.Michelle Obama

4.AOC

5.Julian Castro

6.Sherrod Brown

7.Stacey Abrams

8.Ed Markey

9.Chuck Schumer (He has really gained my respect in the past year, he wouldn't be top 50 before then)

10.Pete Buttigieg

Edited by themiddlepolitical

Warren seems to gain support from all ends of the political spectrum, sad she announced she isn't running in 24. 

• Like 1

Also two people that are alive that would be on my list that I can't list cause they are former pres. are

Obama (Probably 3rd)

and Jimmy Carter (3rd-4th)

Edited by themiddlepolitical

11 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Warren seems to gain support from all ends of the political spectrum, sad she announced she isn't running in 24. 

Yeah, it's kind of sad she wasn't a US Senator earlier in life. She was kind of "up there" for a new US Senator. I totally support her not running. I don't want any more 70 year old+ nominees. I'd like to see her in the cabinet or as a VP. I also don't want Sanders to run in 2024. Most of my favorite politicians seem to be old now, but there MUST be politicians like them that are younger that we don't know about yet.

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, it's kind of sad she wasn't a US Senator earlier in life. She was kind of "up there" for a new US Senator. I totally support her not running. I don't want any more 70 year old+ nominees. I'd like to see her in the cabinet or as a VP. I also don't want Sanders to run in 2024. Most of my favorite politicians seem to be old now, but there MUST be politicians like them that are younger that we don't know about yet.

That's my hope, I mean people like Bernie kinda "came out of no where" and literally changed the course of the Democratic Party. AOC isn't as appealing to me anymore, Ed Markey and Sherrod Brown are up there in age. I do think some CA politicians like Ro Khanna and Katie Porter might be a good mold for the future. I'm also not a huge fan of Nina Turner (I know alot of progressives/leftists paint her as the future) but in that case I don't like how leftist is becoming synonymous with Progressive, I think they are different and I am a Progressive. but I think there will be someone in 2028 that really shows up.

I think a Progressive is:Ed Markey, Sherrod Brown, Bernie, Elizabeth Warren, Raphael Warnock, Ro Khanna, John Fetterman 

While a leftist is: Nina Turner, the squad.  Though I respect them, I don't align with them completely. 

16 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

While a leftist is: Nina Turner, the squad.  Though I respect them, I don't align with them completely. 

I tend to not like politicians that are either bomb-throwers or who easily enrage and excite the opposition. These politicians are mostly the latter, rather than bomb-throwers. Bomb-throwers are suicidal and attack their own party more than they do the opposition. The squad is going to generate opposition turn out more than inter-party turnout. That's the issue with them. Sanders and Warren are a lot more toned down and make at least some effort to not antagonize the GOP base, even while being aggressive.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

That's my hope, I mean people like Bernie kinda "came out of no where" and literally changed the course of the Democratic Party. AOC isn't as appealing to me anymore, Ed Markey and Sherrod Brown are up there in age. I do think some CA politicians like Ro Khanna and Katie Porter might be a good mold for the future. I'm also not a huge fan of Nina Turner (I know alot of progressives/leftists paint her as the future) but in that case I don't like how leftist is becoming synonymous with Progressive, I think they are different and I am a Progressive. but I think there will be someone in 2028 that really shows up.

I think a Progressive is:Ed Markey, Sherrod Brown, Bernie, Elizabeth Warren, Raphael Warnock, Ro Khanna, John Fetterman 

Im curious why AOC isnt "appealing to you anymore"?No intention to attack i just heard it from some of my friends who used to like her as much as i do,and they had their reasons so i wonder whats yours?I like her a lot and she didnt do or say anything that would change it.

46 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah,unfortunately as much as i love AOC she is no Bernie or Warren.I dont see anybody as great as these two among younger politicians,many great but none that great.

5 minutes ago, Rodja said:

Im curious why AOC isnt "appealing to you anymore"?No intention to attack i just heard it from some of my friends who used to like her as much as i do,and they had their reasons so i wonder whats yours?I like her a lot and she didnt do or say anything that would change it.

@vcczar reply above actually hit it exactly right, that’s the reason(s) 

1 hour ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Also two people that are alive that would be on my list that I can't list cause they are former pres. are

Obama (Probably 3rd)

and Jimmy Carter (3rd-4th)

Carter is valid, he's eligible to serve a second term (just insanely old).  Feel free to edit your list to include him if that's your desire.

46 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I tend to not like politicians that are either bomb-throwers or who easily enrage and excite the opposition. These politicians are mostly the latter, rather than bomb-throwers. Bomb-throwers are suicidal and attack their own party more than they do the opposition. The squad is going to generate opposition turn out more than inter-party turnout. That's the issue with them. Sanders and Warren are a lot more toned down and make at least some effort to not antagonize the GOP base, even while being aggressive.

I remember that Sanders polled much higher than Clinton in matchups against Republicans. I remember that in the first Democratic debate, it seemed Clinton viewed "Republicans" as the enemy while Sanders viewed "Wall Street" as the enemy. I think Republicans will be more accepting to Democrats who talk about the issues than play political points. (judging by some comments in the internet. I may be wrong, but some people seem to be that way).

2 hours ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Presumably because there's an assumption that Biden will?  Hopefully she changes her mind if he doesn't run.  I don't want a Kamala coronation.  

2 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Presumably because there's an assumption that Biden will?  Hopefully she changes her mind if he doesn't run.  I don't want a Kamala coronation.  

Well, a poll found this result in IA.

https://victory-insights.com/files/Iowa_Biden_04-21_PollReport.pdf

Kamala Harris 28%

Pete Buttigieg 15%

Michelle Obama 12% (Why do they add her?)

Amy Klobuchar 9%

John Kerry 7%

Elizabeth Warren 3%

Sanders 2%

AOC 2%

• Like 1

Updated Tally.  Senator Warren is a consistent #1/#2 for a lot of folks.

Elizabeth Warren 58
Bernie Sanders 33
Joe Biden 21
Pete Buttigieg 20
Sherrod Brown 20
Michelle Obama 15
AOC 14
Jay Inslee 13
Julian Castro 12
JEB! Bush 11
Andrew Yang 11
Cory Booker 11