The Political Lounge

Steam game suggestion

ConservativeElector2

4 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I found a game on Steam that could be of interest to you. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1574580/Strange_Horticulture/ (it's on sale right now)

Tagging those enjoying Steam games (to my knowledge): @vcczar, @MrPotatoTed, @Cal, @DakotaHale

I’ve considered that game. Get Last Express: Gold Edition if your haven’t already. I know you like trains. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vcczar said:

I’ve considered that game. Get Last Express: Gold Edition if your haven’t already. I know you like trains. 

Thanks, it's on my wishlist. I will look into it.

On a side note, I bought Strange Horticulture and played like half an hour to test it. It's a really chilling and somewhat mysterious game, that gives off great New England vibes. It also has a great soundtrack, especially the rain in the background creates a superb atmosphere. 

The story is nice. You inherit your uncle's flower shop in a small town with a lot of mysterious folks around. You have to identify plants and fulfil the needs of your customers. 

• Based 1

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Oh I see, my bad. Thought you were the one who originally mentioned it to me. 

No. It looks cool. Reviews are mixed, possibly because the mechanics are too complicated for most people and not well explained. I might get it at some point. Put it on the wish list. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

I assume that most people on this forum are interested in games set in historical setting, so I thought I'd share a game that I stumbled upon:

Kingdom Come Deliverance is a medieval combat game based in 15th Century Bohemia. If any of you are interested in challenging first-person combat, or love medieval history like I do, I highly recommend it. The game is tough to get into at first due to its unforgiving nature, but with patience you may find it highly entertaining. 

5 minutes ago, Pius XIII said:

I assume that most people on this forum are interested in games set in historical setting, so I thought I'd share a game that I stumbled upon:

Kingdom Come Deliverance is a medieval combat game based in 15th Century Bohemia. If any of you are interested in challenging first-person combat, or love medieval history like I do, I highly recommend it. The game is tough to get into at first due to its unforgiving nature, but with patience you may find it highly entertaining. 

I did play this game. It was fun. I stopped at some point because it didn't run smoothly on my computer. I don't play using a mouse, so operating a horse was cumbersome, but it was fun. Good story. Great graphics. 

I tend to play games that aren't graphics-focused. Lots of simulation games, often based on history. 

The game you mention interested me because one of my great-grandmothers was Czech born to a Bohemian father and Moravian mother. I would have had ancestors that lived in small towns and villages as are shown in that game. 

4 hours ago, Pius XIII said:

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

I did play this game. It was fun. I stopped at some point because it didn't run smoothly on my computer. I don't play using a mouse, so operating a horse was cumbersome, but it was fun. Good story. Great graphics. 

I tend to play games that aren't graphics-focused. Lots of simulation games, often based on history. 

The game you mention interested me because one of my great-grandmothers was Czech born to a Bohemian father and Moravian mother. I would have had ancestors that lived in small towns and villages as are shown in that game. 

I've had this downloaded forever and haven't played it yet. Think I will later this year during a break. 

16 hours ago, vcczar said:

History games are my go-to genre as well. One of my degrees specializes in Medieval History, so I have always craved a game from that era that isn't Assassin's Creed. Graphics have never really mattered to me- particularly because my computer is a potato.

11 hours ago, Pringles said:

I've had this downloaded forever and haven't played it yet. Think I will later this year during a break. 

Definitely give it a try. Just try not to throw your controller at the wall during the first couple hours!

• Based 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/10/2023 at 11:31 AM, Pius XIII said:

History games are my go-to genre as well. One of my degrees specializes in Medieval History, so I have always craved a game from that era that isn't Assassin's Creed. Graphics have never really mattered to me- particularly because my computer is a potato.

Definitely give it a try. Just try not to throw your controller at the wall during the first couple hours!

I have a few that aren’t assassins creed.  When I get home I’ll type them out. 

On 9/10/2023 at 11:31 AM, Pius XIII said:

Midieval games I have are:

• Crusader Kings series
  • Guild series
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  • Medieval Dynasty
  • Patron
  • The Procession to Calvary
  • Four Last Things
  • Death of the Reprobate (coming soon)
  • Pentiment

Of these, Pentiment is probably the most well-made. One of the most immersive games ever. It really makes you feel like you're in Medieval Germany. 

36 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Of these, Pentiment is probably the most well-made. One of the most immersive games ever. It really makes you feel like you're in Medieval Germany. 

We really need more games like this. Murder mysteries from the past in general. The artwork in Pentiment is beautiful. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

• Crusader Kings series
  • Guild series
  • Medieval Dynasty
  • Patron
  • Four Last Things
  • Pentiment

Crusader Kings 2 was one of my go to games for a couple years. I tried 3, but couldn’t get into it- seemed to have a lot of unnecessary changes… and really ran slowly on my potato computer. I’ve never played Pentiment, but I am going to have to try it now.

4 hours ago, Pringles said:

We really need more games like this. Murder mysteries from the past in general. The artwork in Pentiment is beautiful. 

I have a couple murder mysteries on my PC- but they are Sherlock Holmes games from 20 years ago. One of them, “The Awakened”, adds an interesting Lovecraft-horror element to the mix. So if you can get past the early 2000’s jankiness, I recommend it for the story alone.

• Based 1

3 minutes ago, Pius XIII said:

Crusader Kings 2 was one of my go to games for a couple years. I tried 3, but couldn’t get into it- seemed to have a lot of unnecessary changes… and really ran slowly on my potato computer. I’ve never played Pentiment, but I am going to have to try it now.

I have a couple murder mysteries on my PC- but they are Sherlock Holmes games from 20 years ago. One of them, “The Awakened”, adds an interesting Lovecraft-horror element to the mix. So if you can get past the early 2000’s jankiness, I recommend it for the story alone.

They remade and updated the Awakened. I have all of their Sherlock Holmes games. 

Regarding CK3, it does run slowly. As does Victoria 3. I love both games but I’m not patient enough to play them for more than 15 min at a time. And I have a good computer!

• Based 1

24 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Regarding CK3, it does run slowly. As does Victoria 3. I love both games but I’m not patient enough to play them for more than 15 min at a time. And I have a good computer!

I'm curious V. Do you do all of your work and gaming from a laptop? Or do you have a PC/Desktop as well? My desktop is super overkill for those games so they do well, my laptop can struggle a little at times but it isn't too bad. CK3 especially can just be naturally slow as thousands upon thousands of characters and events are processed. 

7 hours ago, Pringles said:

I'm curious V. Do you do all of your work and gaming from a laptop? Or do you have a PC/Desktop as well? My desktop is super overkill for those games so they do well, my laptop can struggle a little at times but it isn't too bad. CK3 especially can just be naturally slow as thousands upon thousands of characters and events are processed. 

I haven’t had a desktop computer since 2009 or 2010. 

On 12/6/2023 at 9:28 PM, vcczar said:

They remade and updated the Awakened. I have all of their Sherlock Holmes games. 

I heard about that! I haven’t bought the most recent games because- this might seem stupid- I don’t like the way they portray Holmes and Watson. I guess I am picky, but there seems to be an attempt in the past 20 years or so to make old characters into modern action heroes… like Holmes being played by Henry Cavill on Netflix.

Other than the game moving slowly, I think my biggest issue with CK3 is that I found it harder to tell which province I was moving to- which hurt me several times!

8 minutes ago, Pius XIII said:

I heard about that! I haven’t bought the most recent games because- this might seem stupid- I don’t like the way they portray Holmes and Watson. I guess I am picky, but there seems to be an attempt in the past 20 years or so to make old characters into modern action heroes… like Holmes being played by Henry Cavill on Netflix.

Other than the game moving slowly, I think my biggest issue with CK3 is that I found it harder to tell which province I was moving to- which hurt me several times!

My favorite of the Sherlock Holmes games is Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper, followed by Crimes and Punishments. You’ll at least like the portrayal of Holmes and Watson in the Jack the Ripper game. I prefer both of these to Awakened. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 11:26 PM, vcczar said:

• Crusader Kings series
  • Guild series
  • Medieval Dynasty
  • Patron
  • Four Last Things
  • Pentiment

If you like Medieval games get yourself Total War: Medieval II - Definitive Edition. Although it's already more than 15 years old, it's one of the best games I've ever played.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Some other games I really enjoyed recently and can really recommend:

Mini Metro
Mini Motorways
STONKS-9800: Stock Market Simulator
Koi-Koi Japan [Hanafuda playing cards]

I played mini-metro. Unlocked all the maps. 

• Like 1