The Political Lounge

1st GOP debate

vcczar

1st GOP debate  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should Trump skip the debate?

2. 2. Will your watch the debate?

3. 3. Trump said he will skip and do an interview instead. Will you watch that?

4. 4. If you had to choose one to watch what would you watch?

• Debate w/o Trump
    • Trump interview
  5. 5. Who will win the debate if Trump is not present?

• DeSantis
    • Scott
    • Pence
    • Haley
    • Ramaswamy
    • Christie
    • Other low polling GOP candidate
  6. 6. Should Biden try to debate RFK Jr and Williamson

7. 7. Would Biden win a debate against RFK Jr?

8. 8. Would Trump win if he went to the GOP debate

9. 9. Will Trump’s margin over GOP rivals decrease after the debate?

Personally, I think Trump avoiding the debate helps him. He scheduled an interview at the same time. Gets all the attention and no criticism. He also steals viewers so his rivals lose exposure. 

That said. I think all candidates for president eligible for debate should be required to debate. All primaries should have a debate. Both Trump and Biden should debate. 

8 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

I think Scott and Haley stand the most to gain. They’ll both standout on the stage for obvious reasons, and they are both cool and collected enough to have articulate and good soundbite answers to most questions. Also think the RNC would prefer if they did well

I think Christie is the most aggressive and skilled debater. He'll probably have the most soundbites too. He's my favorite to win the debate, but I also don't think it moves him up much because he's viewed unfavorably by almost every demographic and ideology. He's kind of at his ceiling. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I think Christie is the most aggressive and skilled debater. He'll probably have the most soundbites too. He's my favorite to win the debate, but I also don't think it moves him up much because he's viewed unfavorably by almost every demographic and ideology. He's kind of at his ceiling. 

Christie is a strong debater, but yeah, his campaign's peak will probably be a strong performance in New Hampshire. He's simply too loathed to compete nationwide, as much as I appreciate him claiming the forwardly anti-Trump lane in the race. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Christie is a skilled debater, but he runs the risk of becoming an anti-Trump caricature. Pretty much every thing this cycle for him as been him knocking Trump and not his policy. He runs the risk of getting pigeon-holed as ‘only anti trump’ at which point, if the others just let him be, they can safely ignore him focus on the policy. They’ll come off like viable candidates that way.

If Christie can get away from the anti trump stuff only and actually talk about his platform, then he can do well. I just don’t see the moderators giving him that opportunity.

32 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

Christie is a skilled debater, but he runs the risk of becoming an anti-Trump caricature. Pretty much every thing this cycle for him as been him knocking Trump and not his policy. He runs the risk of getting pigeon-holed as ‘only anti trump’ at which point, if the others just let him be, they can safely ignore him focus on the policy. They’ll come off like viable candidates that way.

If Christie can get away from the anti trump stuff only and actually talk about his platform, then he can do well. I just don’t see the moderators giving him that opportunity.

His whole goal might be to be that one guy that appears to take down Trump. I don’t think he has any delusions that he’ll get nominated. I think he’s hoping to get credit for helping a non-Trump nominee. He’s an attack dog. Just like he was in 2016. I don’t think he had policies then either. 

• Agree 1

Happily surprised by this, and I honestly appreciate that Asa didn't use any fundraising gimmicks like some other candidates to make the stage.

• Like 2
  • Based 1

Just now, The Blood said:

Happily surprised by this, and I honestly appreciate that Asa didn't use any fundraising gimmicks like some other candidates to make the stage.

Though knowing Asa, he'll probably just fade into the background during the debate, and I don't see him qualifying in the future. 

I really hope that all the candidates that have no shot at success completely trash Trump in ways that are particularly embarrasing for Trump. 

I think these GOP candidates do serve a purpose: To show that Trump is NOT the GOP. 

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I really hope that all the candidates that have no shot at success completely trash Trump in ways that are particularly embarrasing for Trump. 

I think these GOP candidates do serve a purpose: To show that Trump is NOT the GOP. 

The best outcome for the debate is that both Trump and DeSantis are utterly humiliated, and I imagine DeSantis will be getting more flak as the effective frontrunner on stage. 

10 minutes ago, The Blood said:

The best outcome for the debate is that both Trump and DeSantis are utterly humiliated, and I imagine DeSantis will be getting more flak as the effective frontrunner on stage. 

I fully believe that Ramaswamy will pass DeSantis soon after this debate.

1 hour ago, The Blood said:

Agreed. I hope the other guys get sued for violating campaign finance laws.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Also he's not my first pick but I totally respect how Ramaswamy built his campaign from nothing to become a force in this race and is thrashing actual experienced candidates who've had over a decade of name recognition.

Agreed. There's a lot of similarity with Trump's first campaign, but one thing makes Ramaswamy's dynamics even more interesting. Although Trump was officially hated by most of the media, he got constant coverage to the extent of his opponents. The reason was of course because Trump news stories brought in the clicks and views on each and every news story. Ramaswamy is not nearly as hated as Trump was and still is, so he also hasn't this ironic advantage when it comes to news coverage to build a following.

9 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Also he's not my first pick but I totally respect how Ramaswamy built his campaign from nothing to become a force in this race and is thrashing actual experienced candidates who've had over a decade of name recognition.

idk, I just don't find this all that impressive given the current media landscape and incentive structure. I think it's far easier to gain a following for saying outrageous things than presenting a serious platform for governing and it's why our options will only get worse. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, ShortKing said:

idk, I just don't find this all that impressive given the current media landscape and incentive structure. I think it's far easier to gain a following for saying outrageous things than presenting a serious platform for governing and it's why our options will only get worse. 

Vivek's entire campaign strategy has been restating every right-wing culture war and MAGA talking point with just the right amount of charisma and energy to gain prominence. I've memed about his campaign elsewhere, but on a serious note, his continued success in the race (success in the relative sense, he is not going to be the nominee) will be yet another confirmation of the soulless, Trump-obsessed husk the GOP has been for 7 years now. Vivek knows he's just here to carry water for Trump, gain some donors and name rec, and then fuck off to some downballot race, that's why he refuses to directly attack Donald. 

Edited by The Blood
  • Agree 1

Now, I just want to explain my answers to the poll.

I feel that Trump shouldn't skip the debate as I feel all viable candidates should have to attend the debate. Though at the same time, I think it's a smart move for him to do so, of he went to the debate pretty much everyone on stage would go after him, so by avoiding the debate he's avoiding a barrage of attacks. I think attending the debate would hurt his numbers more. I also think taking this "above the frey" stance could also add to his image as the insurmountable frontrunner, so I don't think his non-attendance will actually hurt his numbers.

I picked Ramaswamy for the winner of the debate without Trump, but I'll say here I have no idea who could win the debate. I picked Ramaswamy as I feel he has the most to gain from being in the debate, I can see his attendance improving his name recognition, giving him TV time, cementing him as a candidate and possibly giving him an edge over DeSantis in polling. Will he win the debate? I don't know. Would he gain a lot from the debate? Probably.

Last thing to clarify. Earlier I said all viable candidates should have to attend debates, I also said Biden shouldn't debate Williamson and RFK Jr. I probably don't have to say this but I will just in case. I don't feel he should debate them as they are not viable candidates. They're token opposition at best.

2 hours ago, Fbarbarossa said:

I also think it needs to be highlighted more that Ramaswamy wants to raise the voting age to 25. So, if spouting all the MAGA and culture wars points isn't bad enough, he also wants to strip people of their voting rights.

If he were a real forward thinker, he'd cap the voting age at 45, too. Let's just go all in on restrictions if we're being arbitrarily anti-generational

Trump isn't avoiding being attacked by skipping the debate.  They'll all still bash him.  He is avoiding legitimizing the attacks by skipping the debate.  A primary debate without the leading candidate is diminished and will serve to make the attendees seem like fringe candidates who are desperate for any attention they can get.

• Based 1