The Political Lounge

Post-debate GOP candidates ranking

DakotaHale

I am currently an undecided voter but will prob vote in the GOP primary

1. Nikki Haley - extremely smart and professional. Understands foreign policy. Became my first choice after the debate.
  2. Vivek Ramaswamy - also extremely smart, but in a different way. I like his policy, but he came off a bit extreme in the debate, but this is probably because it's early and he's trying to win the GOP primary voter base before moderating, similar to Trump.
  3. Ron DeSantis - boring, but ok policy
  4. Mike Pence - outperformed expectations, although I do not like him personally.
  5. Tim Scott - boring, underperformed expectations. Used to be one of my favorites.
  6. Doug Burgum - I like him, but he's invisible.
  7. Donald Trump - low energy, boooooo
  8. Chris Christie - used to be an absolute champion debater. Absolutely shit the bed. Also a President shouldn't be fat
  9. Hutchinson - ugly and invisible
  10. Suarez - crypto bro Gary Johnson Aleppo moment
  11. Hurd - ?????
  • Based 1

29 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Vivek Ramaswamy - also extremely smart

We don't align politically, but I completely disagree with this. I think he came off as completely oblivious. He reminds me of some papers that I have to grade that are nothing more than confident bullshit. Christie's analogy to Vivek being like ChatGPT is spot on. I can't think of a more sound analogy of him. I don't think he would be an effective president. I think he has impractical ideas (even when trying to consider his ideas with some neutrality). I don't think he knows how government or politics works. I think he probably has a personality disorder that will make him dangerous in the same way that Trump is dangerous, ideology aside. That is, I don't think they have a conscience. I think he appeals to Tech Bros and people that think the movie Limitless is an amazing movie because he speaks fast and he's young. But his content is ALL bad. 

I think his best fit, like with Trump, is to just go into business for themself. That's where inherently selfish and unempathetic people thrive because they can form a corporation and rule it in an authoritarian manner while impacting far fewer people than a nation of over 300 million people (and more if you consider the world being impacted by a president). 

I see a huge, positive drive to throw Trump out by the GOP, but Vivek is like a lame Trump wannabee. He also sucks at debating. Pence, Haley, and Christie were shredding him. Made him look so much like a fool. 

Total disagree with you here on him being smart. I'm sure you can find his policy ideas in more capable people on the stage. If not, they're probably one of the impractical or illegal ideas he has. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

We don't align politically, but I completely disagree with this. I think he came off as completely oblivious. He reminds me of some papers that I have to grade that are nothing more than confident bullshit. Christie's analogy to Vivek being like ChatGPT is spot on. I can't think of a more sound analogy of him. I don't think he would be an effective president. I think he has impractical ideas (even when trying to consider his ideas with some neutrality). I don't think he knows how government or politics works. I think he probably has a personality disorder that will make him dangerous in the same way that Trump is dangerous, ideology aside. That is, I don't think they have a conscience. I think he appeals to Tech Bros and people that think the movie Limitless is an amazing movie because he speaks fast and he's young. But his content is ALL bad. 

I think his best fit, like with Trump, is to just go into business for themself. That's where inherently selfish and unempathetic people thrive because they can form a corporation and rule it in an authoritarian manner while impacting far fewer people than a nation of over 300 million people (and more if you consider the world being impacted by a president). 

I see a huge, positive drive to throw Trump out by the GOP, but Vivek is like a lame Trump wannabee. He also sucks at debating. Pence, Haley, and Christie were shredding him. Made him look so much like a fool. 

Total disagree with you here on him being smart. I'm sure you can find his policy ideas in more capable people on the stage. If not, they're probably one of the impractical or illegal ideas he has. 

I was impressed with him watching interviews. But he's objectively an intelligent guy. Graduated valedictorian, graduated with a biology degree summa cum laude from Harvard, president of the Harvard Political Union before getting a JD from Yale. Became an extremely intelligent businessman and author, becoming nearly a billionaire by 38, and writing some interesting books on shareholder vs stakeholder supremacy. Doesn't hurt that he's also a good-looking and charismatic dude. I think he's just playing a role right now to win the GOP base, but definitely check out some of his interviews. I personally think he's very well-spoken.

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Wow, I couldn’t have said it better you old libtard Professor. Also the paper grading example is so relatable when I’ve seen friends of mine write essays and come to me for advice (I’ve always done well on papers.)

(Jk Jk I still love you brother V, no homo.) 😛 

• Like 1