The Political Lounge

If I Could Change the Past Poll

vcczar

If I Could Change the Past Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. If you could go back in time to change the outcome of an election for the betterment of the US today, which elections would you alter? Assume you'll still be born even with the changes.

• I wouldn't alter an of the below elections for fear that the result would be much worse by 2023
    • 1800: I'll have John Adams win reelection against Thomas Jefferson to prevent Jeffersoniansim
    • 1828: I'll have John Quincy Adams win reelection against Andrew Jackson to prevent the Indian Removal
    • 1832: I'll have Henry Clay defeat Andrew Jackson to save the Bank of the US.
    • 1844: I'll have Henry Clay defeat James K Polk to prevent war with Mexico
    • 1852: I'll have Winfield Scott defeat Franklin Pierce to avoid the Kansas-Nebraska Act
    • 1856: I'll have John C Fremont defeat James Buchanan, although it will usher in an early Civil War
    • 1860: I'll have John C Breckinridge defeat Abraham Lincoln, likely delaying civil war but also strengthening the slave powers
    • 1864: I'll have George B McClellan defeat Abraham Lincoln and end the civil war dipomatically, leaving two nations in place, one free and one slave.
    • 1872: I'll have Horace Greeley defeat Ulysses S Grant to usher in civil service reform, although this will cost blacks their political power in the South
    • 1896: I'll have William Jennings Bryan defeat William McKinley, converting the nation from a pro-gold, pro-imperialist conservative political establishment to one of pro-silver, anti-imperialist, progressive populism
    • 1912: I'll have Theodore Roosevelt defeat Woodrow Wilson (and Taft), ushering in Roosevelt's updated Nationalistic Progressivism and likely early entry into WWI.
    • 1932: I'll have Herbert Hoover miraculously win reelection against FDR to prevent the New Deal from happening
    • 1952: I'll have Adali Stevenson II defeat Eisenhower to continue the New Deal era of FDR-Truman well into the 1950s.
    • 1960: I'll have Nixon defeat JFK as a younger Nixon is less paranoid, more conservative and more likely to avoid Watergate.
    • 1964: I'll have Barry Goldwater defeat LBJ to prevent LBJ's Great Society, Civil Rights Act, War on Poverty, etc, even if it means Goldwater is more aggressive in Vietnam.
    • 1972: I'll have George McGovern defeat Nixon because McGovern would likely be the most liberal and reformist president in US history with a Democratic Senate and House in control.
    • 1980: I'll have Jimmy Carter defeat Ronald Reagan, preventing Reaganomics ("Trickle Down")
    • 1992: I'll have GHW Bush win reelection against Bill Clinton, primarily to see what Bush could do with another term but also to extend the Reagan Era.
    • 2000: I'll have Al Gore defeat GW Bush in hopes that Gore can avoid the mistakes of the Bush II presidency in foreign policy, environmentally, and economically.
    • 2008: I'll have John McCain defeat Obama to prevent Obamacare and other liberal policies of the Obama years, even if it means McCain is militarily aggressive overseas.
    • 2016: I'll have Hillary Clinton defeat Donald Trump, either because I want to see a woman president or to prevent MAGA from infecting the White House.
    • 2020: I'll have Donald Trump win reelection to prevent Joe Biden from becoming president, even if it means it sustains some of Trump's worst rhetoric and behavior.

I feel the 1976 election would have been an interesting one to change that was not mentioned. While im not sure id do it without knowing the consuqences I think it would have been interesting to see the timeline wherin Carter loses to Ford. Considering the state of the economy and the likely fatigue of 12 years of Republican rule from the White House a Democratic administration would have been a shoe in  for 1980. This would then do 2 things, Firstly this better performance likely means the Democrats dont get destroyed in the senate eletions like what happened historically ( most of those losses were by tiny margins so any extra boost would have helped immensely) and would presumably also done better in the 78 midterm elections meaning a democratic senate majority would last a while longer . Secondly I feel the 1980 nominee would have been a more mainstream liberal rather then Carter who was notably right of his party at the time. Gun to my head I would assume Ted Kennedy or at least someone politically closer to that end of the spectrum. With a Democratic president who was more attuned to his party and the senate majority democratic still I feel that there would have been a more effective Democratic administration than the Carter admin ended up being and likely some form of national health insurance being passed considering it was a real discussion at the time. 

I don’t think I’d want to live in any altered timeline, (especially if I retain my memories of my true timeline, I’d always feel like a ghost) so my answers are more so, timelines that I’d like to be able to observe without being a part of, or visit without having to stay. That’s why I also selected the option stating I wouldn’t alter the timeline while also selecting timeline altering options.

Also, I think the election - which I understand why you focused on election but still - loses out on some other interesting points of diversion, like the Kennedy or Lincoln assassinations, or the discovery of the Watergate break in, etc etc.

I do not imagine how the war in Ukraine would have went with Trump still acting as president.

It could have gone both ways depending of Trump mod, he could have either be more militarist than Biden or the complete opposite depending of the evolution of his consideration.

But @vcczar I think a lot of people are interested about the 2012 timeline where Romney becomes president aswell with a competitive 2016 presidential election and no MAGA movement as it is today.

It also directly impacts Afghanistan but the situation with Russia in Ukraine in 2014 aswell as Romney had a very clear and early position on the matter.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Was younger Nixon more conservative though? I thought he was more moderate in 1960. 

@vcczar @Pringles

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

More conservative. He was on the ticket because Eisenhower was so moderate. I’d say he went from right to center-right. 

I think it depends on how you look at it. He was vocally very anti-communist which is a part of the reason why he was chosen to be VP for the more mellow Eisenhower. He was definitely more economically conservative as well. Socially? I'd say the same/fitting the standards of the time he was in. The early '60s vs. late '60s is a very drastic difference. By 68 he shifted with the mood of the country which yearned for a law and order platform. 

58 minutes ago, Pringles said:

I think it depends on how you look at it. He was vocally very anti-communist which is a part of the reason why he was chosen to be VP for the more mellow Eisenhower. He was definitely more economically conservative as well. Socially? I'd say the same/fitting the standards of the time he was in. The early '60s vs. late '60s is a very drastic difference. By 68 he shifted with the mood of the country which yearned for a law and order platform. 

If Nixon has the power of levitation would he survive Watergate 

RDT_20230829_2230242643596379920335729.jpg.ba35ae198b2cc159dc6474eac2e15825.jpg

• Based 4

8 hours ago, Pringles said:

1960 Nixon would never have proposed a guaranteed minimum income (basic income) or healthcare. He definitely moved to the left socially too. His New Federalism philosophy contradicts these proposals however. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

1960 Nixon would never have proposed a guaranteed minimum income (basic income) or healthcare. He definitely moved to the left socially too. His New Federalism philosophy contradicts these proposals however. 

The notorious FAP proposal… 😏

1 hour ago, 10centjimmy said:

In addition to the '76 flip, I'd be interested in a '68 where RFK wasn't assassinated. 

Book recommendation: Then Everything Changed by Jeff Greenfield

I think RFK might have won in a deadlocked convention, but most scholars think Humphrey had the entire establishment to push him over. RFK would have needed to have a massive lead and endorsement from other candidates. This was the primary that led to nationwide primaries. Humphrey was getting delegates from the states that didn’t have primaries. LBJ was using all his muscle to stop RFK at the convention for his VP.