The Political Lounge

Wholesome Redrawn Middle East Borders Challenge (impossible)

DakotaHale

1 hour ago, DakotaHale said:

I challenge everyone to redraw the Middle East borders for either stability, or just to personal liking. Here's mine (feel free to tear apart the inevitable new conflicts this would cause):

mapchart.net (world map - subdivisions)

newborders.png.62d174d8b8d57202820c86aa6258070c.png

If you are trying to go by religious, cultural, ethnic divisions then Iran can certainly be broken up too. Palestine should break from Israel if you’re letting Kurdistan exist. Same principle. 

Any division done by someone not from this region is just going to compound mistakes already made. 

I think it’s almost better to make one United States of Islamica and then let them figure it out for themselves. 

I’d like to see how Middle Easteners try to carve up North America to see what they think would work better. 

1 hour ago, DakotaHale said:

I challenge everyone to redraw the Middle East borders for either stability, or just to personal liking. Here's mine (feel free to tear apart the inevitable new conflicts this would cause):

mapchart.net (world map - subdivisions)

newborders.png.62d174d8b8d57202820c86aa6258070c.png

MapChart_Map(1).png.ae9435bf9006a736ad4113c10b112d57.png

I didn't know what to put for the names, and I was more concerned with the underlying reasoning behind the changes so I just labelled them with what I figured their colloquial names would be. 

I split up Yemen according to what faction in the civil war more or less controls each province, mostly because I don't know a lot about Yemeni politics, or history so I just figured a triple partition was the least offensive solution.

I split Iraq between the norther Sunnis, and southern Shias, and also gave south Iraq the Arab province of Iran. that also led to the rise of Luristan since the borders would've looked ugly otherwise.

I created a Kurdish state out of the Kurdish plurality provinces in Iraq, Iran, Turkey, and Syria.

I had Turkey, and Greece annex the Turkish-Cypriot, and Greek-Cypriot majority portions of Cyprus respectively.

I created 'Maronia' out of the Christian/Druze plurality provinces in Lebanon. I thought about doing 

I tried my best to make a map less prone to violence, instability, and discrimination, but I realize, even with the best map (which this isn't), the region would probably still be filled with all of those things.

2 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

I didn't know what to put for the names, and I was more concerned with the underlying reasoning behind the changes so I just labelled them with what I figured their colloquial names would be. 

I split up Yemen according to what faction in the civil war more or less controls each province, mostly because I don't know a lot about Yemeni politics, or history so I just figured a triple partition was the least offensive solution.

I split Iraq between the norther Sunnis, and southern Shias, and also gave south Iraq the Arab province of Iran. that also led to the rise of Luristan since the borders would've looked ugly otherwise.

I created a Kurdish state out of the Kurdish plurality provinces in Iraq, Iran, Turkey, and Syria.

I had Turkey, and Greece annex the Turkish-Cypriot, and Greek-Cypriot majority portions of Cyprus respectively.

I created 'Maronia' out of the Christian/Druze plurality provinces in Lebanon. I thought about doing 

I tried my best to make a map less prone to violence, instability, and discrimination, but I realize, even with the best map (which this isn't), the region would probably still be filled with all of those things.

This map is pretty good for the sake of this exercise. I’d have Iran broken up between Persians and Balochs. There may be one other groups. Also Palestinians need a home and of their own. 

5 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

Personally, as a Middle Eastern, this map seems close to best map. But I put up a hypothetical of if this could happen.
Sectarianism is heavily hated by majority of moderates in Iraq, the only groups that support it is militant sunnis or pro iranian shiittes (both minority). While yemen is heavily divided by tribes and religion, I heavily think that yemen is better split into two.

Kurdistan would be a miracle to survive with enemies on every side and could not survive unless it allies with USA and has similar relations as israel. A more realistic version would be kurd insurgency in turkey, autonomous Kurdistan state in Iraq (supported by biggest party, KDP) and communistic state in Iran, and autonomous region in a Syrian Republic made up of the rebels and turkish pro members.

Lebanon is a heap of mess, at best a civil war would happen and region would be divided by militias. Either a dominated shia state or unitary states would survive. But likely thing would be annexation by syria and israel with a UN region in christian lands.

Palestine, if annexed, would be a war especially since Saudia Arabia becoming friends with russia. I would think another six day war but this time, much different with chance of nuclear attacks but thats worst case. Likely case is regions would be finally annexed by jordon and egypt.

• Based 1

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

If you are trying to go by religious, cultural, ethnic divisions then Iran can certainly be broken up too. Palestine should break from Israel if you’re letting Kurdistan exist. Same principle. 

Any division done by someone not from this region is just going to compound mistakes already made. 

I think it’s almost better to make one United States of Islamica and then let them figure it out for themselves. 

I’d like to see how Middle Easteners try to carve up North America to see what they think would work better. 

I figured the Kingdom of the Levant would be a wholesome shared rule between Christians, Muslims and Jews under a Sunni King.

I picture Kuwait with it's western ties as a badass international city similar to how Hong Kong was.

Big Greece bc Byzantine is funni and Constantinople

Mesopotamia bc Hammurabi's code > Sharia law (but they'll prob get both)

I forgor about Iran. I would hope they play nice in this timeline. 

• Based 1