The Political Lounge

Mitt Romney to Retire

Rezi

Senator Romney announced today that he will not run for re-election in 2024.

A damned shame, for sure, but at his age and with renomination not assured, I understand the decision. We're losing one of the best Senate Republicans and a key voice for pragmatism in the Senate. We can only hope that Utah doesn't nominate a MAGA successor, but I wouldn't hold get my hopes up in that regard.

• Sad 3

As a supporter of his 2012 rival (and 2016 political sacrifice) Rick Santorum, I was not a huge fan of Mitt Romeny as a Presidential candidate. I was also kind of annoyed that he carpetbagged from Massachusetts all the way to Utah- all the while being a little too socially liberal for such a red state. That being said, I do believe that he was a man of principle in the Trump years. I think the big question will be who will replace him. It looks like the field is wide open. Anyone have any ideas on who is the best candidate to replace him?

23 minutes ago, Pius XIII said:

As a supporter of his 2012 rival (and 2016 political sacrifice) Rick Santorum, I was not a huge fan of Mitt Romeny as a Presidential candidate. I was also kind of annoyed that he carpetbagged from Massachusetts all the way to Utah- all the while being a little too socially liberal for such a red state. That being said, I do believe that he was a man of principle in the Trump years. I think the big question will be who will replace him. It looks like the field is wide open. Anyone have any ideas on who is the best candidate to replace him?

I know some of his kids were born in UT, so it might have been sort of like his second home. 

I do believe that Mitt Romney made the best choice of his life by becoming a US senator.

As a governor, Mitt was saw as an effective and bipartisan governor, he did a lot of good things.

But as a nominee he happened to be forced back to take positions displayed into videos that do not look good for his reputation like this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EveU0_FQRZU

This kind of video was terrible for the image that Mitt would like to display, because he had become this generic kind of regular partisan republican.

However his single term in the US senate allowed him to go back in light as one of the builder for bipartisanism, and to be honest, I never expected him to be such a cross-partisan senator. During Trump term he used to vote a lot for his party agenda but he didn't bring anything substantial, he could be replaced.

But his post 2020 action in the senate in every infrastructure bills, recovery bills but also in two very particular moments such as the vote on protecting several fundamental rights in the federal law and the vote on confirming Kentanji B. Jackson definitively made him one of the great senators of the 21st century. He earned my respect in pushing his Church to adopt a secular and respectfull position on protecting the federal law in return of religious freedom and I find it shamefull that republican senators left the senate when Brown was confirmed, they may disagree with her they could have respected the fact that the first ever african american woman would serve in the Supreme Court even if they voted against her for ideological reasons.

Mitt Romney definitively saved his political legacy in his 3 last years in the senate, and I am hopefull he goes on with his last 18 months and his gained freedom.

Edited by Edouard

On 9/15/2023 at 6:27 PM, Pius XIII said:

carpetbagged from Massachusetts all the way to Utah

Tbf, while in general carpetbagging should be frowned on, the people of Utah clearly thought it was fine with Romney, and I accept their Mormon seal of approval as valid in this particular instance. 

It's similar to term limits, an issue I've evolved on over time. Like, yeah, an eight-term Senator probably isn't a great idea, but if voters in a state reelect them to a ninth term, they're the ones living with that decision, I won't stop them. 

37 minutes ago, The Blood said:

Tbf, while in general carpetbagging should be frowned on, the people of Utah clearly thought it was fine with Romney, and I accept their Mormon seal of approval as valid in this particular instance. 

It's similar to term limits, an issue I've evolved on over time. Like, yeah, an eight-term Senator probably isn't a great idea, but if voters in a state reelect them to a ninth term, they're the ones living with that decision, I won't stop them. 

He wasn't really carpetbagging. A few of his kids were born in UT and he's spent years of his life in UT. Went to college there and got married there. 

It would be like if I were now a politician in Philadelphia with a second home in NYC, and then after awhile, I moved to NYC and became a politician there. I lived in NYC for 5 years. I don't live there now, but it's definitely an important place for me, and I return to it at least once a year. I feel more connect to NYC than I do TX, and I lived there for most of my life. Only place in TX I could see myself being a politician for is San Marcos, TX (just south of Austin), which was probably the most socially happy I ever was. It's way weirder and more interesting than Austin. Basically, it's a town where all those bohemians that got priced out of Austin moved to. It's basically the old Austin. It's almost too relaxing, easy, and happy of a place. A river that is always 72 degrees. Hills. Cheap food and coffee. No crime. Tons of writers and musicians. Also a lot of people too disconnected from reality because it is such a happy bubble of a place. I got bored and had to move to NYC. San Marcos has certainly changed by now. The population has doubled or more since I lived there. Fun fact: LBJ lived there too. I remember his statue being unveiled about the same week Ted Kennedy and Barack Obama arrived for seperate campaign rallies.

Anyway, Romney had some connection to UT. It wasn't like the Reconstruction governors. 

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Anyway, Romney had some connection to UT. It wasn't like the Reconstruction governors. 

The extent to which Romney was carpetbagging really wasn't the focus of my post. I was just stating he had a democratic mandate regardless, and obviously I wasn't concurring with the view that he moved to Utah on a whim/out of opportunism, though thanks for the info breakdown. 

• Like 1
  • Based 1