The Political Lounge

The Democratic and Republican "Squads"

vcczar

Who do you think is worse America? The following members of the US Congress tend to bring the strongest reactions.

The Democrat Squad:

• Alexander Ocasio-Cortez (NY)
  • Ilhan Omar (MN)
  • Rashida Tlaib (MI)
  • Ayanna Pressley (MA)
  • Cori Bush (MO)
  • Jamaal Bowman (NY)

The Republican "Squad": 

• Marjorie Taylor Greene (GA)
  • Lauren Boebert (CO)
  • Madison Cawthorn (NC)
  • Matt Gaetz (FL)
  • Josh Hawley (MO)
  • Paul Gosar (AZ)

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Martin Luther, the Instigator of the Protestant Reformation, made his 98 Theses on All Hallows Eve in 1517. A month later, however, he offered his planned to solutions to those complaints, criticisms, and issues in the Reformation Treatise.

I either didn't know about or forgot that he offered solutions to his theses. I'm wondering what his solutions were? I thought it was 95 theses.

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Who do you think is worse America? The following members of the US Congress tend to bring the strongest reactions.

The Democrat Squad:

• Ilhan Omar (MN)
  • Rashida Tlaib (MI)
  • Ayanna Pressley (MA)
  • Cori Bush (MO)
  • Jamaal Bowman (NY)

The Republican "Squad": 

• Lauren Boebert (CO)
  • Madison Cawthorn (NC)
  • Matt Gaetz (FL)
  • Josh Hawley (MO)
  • Paul Gosar (AZ)

The democratic squad is awful, but at least they arent calling for the overthrow of our democratic institutions (to my knowledge).

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

The Republican "Squad": 

• Lauren Boebert (CO)
  • Madison Cawthorn (NC)
  • Matt Gaetz (FL)
  • Josh Hawley (MO)
  • Paul Gosar (AZ)

I wouldn't necessarily lump Hawley in with the others. There are a number of ways in which he doesn't actually fit with them. Maybe Byron Donalds or Mo Brooks would go better.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Here's my own views on them. I think the GOP squad is almost 100% evil. There's almost no redeeming quality about them and I think those that support them have huge moral and psychological failings. Massively so. It's like one or two steps below supporting Nazis, Klans people, rapists, molesters, and all other sorts of degenerates for office. My criticisms for the squad have more to do exclusively with their rhetoric. They can't seem to say anything without rousing moderates and opposition people. I think if they were a little more subtle they'd be more effective. I'd say I agree with almost all of the policies of the Democratic Squad. It's almost all "for the greater good," beneficent, well-intentioned, etc. Angelic as opposed to the more chaotic, selfishness, depravity of the GOP squad. 

Even as far as character goes:

• Democratic Squad
    • Some of Omar's comments on Israel are little too explosive. She could handle this a little more delicately and still get her valid points across. 
    • Cori Bush called Trump "the white supremacist-in-chief"
    • Other than this, there's very little that they've done that "goes too far." 
  • Republican Squad
    • Gosar is a conspiracy theorist with ties to white nationalist groups; supported the insurrection
    • Hawley led the Senate effort to overturn the election; supported the insurrection; is said to be a white nationalist, but ties are less conclusive than Gosar's
    • Gaetz is being investigated for sex trafficking with at least one underage person; has 16 speeding tickets and at least one DWI; supported the insurrection
    • Cawthorn also has sexual misconduct allegations (including sexual assault) coming from over 20 women; supported the insurrection (although to his credit he signed the bipartisan letter congratulating Biden on becoming president); while not a sign of a bad character, he is a college drop out after receiving mostly D's in his classes. 
    • Boebert -- I think a lot of her odd behavior can stem from her not having graduated high school. She might be the only high school drop out in Congress. She owns a restaurant where she encourages her staff to openly carry firearms; she has close connections to militia groups; her business poisoned 80 people at an event in which her business was serving food without a license; likely ties to white nationalists; supported the insurrection; she was once cited for careless driving and arrested when she refuses to appear at court; supportive of Q-Anon.
    • Greene -- q-anon supporter; supportive of white nationalism; countless misstatements involving the holocaust; believes the most insane conspiracy theories (such as Hillary Clinton engaging in human sacrifices); supported the insurrection; she has expressed support for executing Democrats and FBI agents; she has been removed from committees for her behavior

As @Rodja says they're hardly comparable. The GOP squad is a bunch of goons and ingrates--the kind of people one shields their kids from. What an embarrassing lot! 

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Democratic Squad

• Some of Omar's comments on Israel are little too explosive. She could handle this a little more delicately and still get her valid points across. 
  • Cori Bush called Trump "the white supremacist-in-chief"
  • Other than this, there's very little that they've done that "goes too far." 

While i agree that Omar goes too far on Israel and provides redmeat for right wing rhetoric about anti semitism,i dont find anything wrong in Cori Bush part.While it might be too dramatic statement for her to make,Trump is emboldening white supremacists,always refusing to condemn them and time after time cheering them on to "stand back and stand by",he even called them "very fine people".He is a big inspirator of white supremacists,but i personally would never go that far to call  him white supremacist in chief,i think "white supremacist cheerleader" would be a much more fitting label.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Rodja said:

While i agree that Omar goes too far on Israel and provides redmeat for right wing rhetoric about anti semitism,i dont find anything wrong in Cori Bush part.While it might be too dramatic statement for her to make,Trump is emboldening white supremacists,always refusing to condemn them and time after time cheering them on to "stand back and stand by",he even called them "very fine people".He is a big inspirator of white supremacists,but i personally would never go that far to call  him white supremacist in chief,i think "white supremacist cheerleader" would be a much more fitting label.

The Omar and Bush examples are basically the "worst" of the Democratic Squad behavior. I had to use those as examples. I could keep going on with the GOP Squad. I also limited both squads to 6 individuals, mainly because the Democratic one is officially 6. The GOP one is unofficial (I created it) and I could have probably thrown in 6 more people. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The Omar and Bush examples are basically the "worst" of the Democratic Squad behavior. I had to use those as examples. I could keep going on with the GOP Squad. I also limited both squads to 6 individuals, mainly because the Democratic one is officially 6. The GOP one is unofficial (I created it) and I could have probably thrown in 6 more people. 

Unfortunately,i believe you could have thrown in much more than 6 people.The GOP lunacy is spreading like a pandemic.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

while not a sign of a bad character, he is a college drop out after receiving mostly D's in his classes. 

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

think a lot of her odd behavior can stem from her not having graduated high school. She might be the only high school drop out in Congress.

There are several on this forum who have this idea that having a formal education makes one somehow more intelligent than those who do not. I don't say that from a place of malice, but it might be a good idea to examine some of those biases that you have regarding someone's education and their intelligence level. For example, with Cawthorn, if you did not find it to be somehow indicative of either A. poor character or B. lesser intelligence, it would not have been necessary to state it. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

The Democratic Squad are inexperienced, bombastic, make comments that are divisive and harm the party, and flirt more with authoritarianism a little too much for my tastes. The Republican Squad on the other hand is straight up dangerous. In my mind, there is no comparison.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cal said:

There are several on this forum who have this idea that having a formal education makes one somehow more intelligent than those who do not. I don't say that from a place of malice, but it might be a good idea to examine some of those biases that you have regarding someone's education and their intelligence level. For example, with Cawthorn, if you did not find it to be somehow indicative of either A. poor character or B. lesser intelligence, it would not have been necessary to state it. 

It isn't a question about natural intelligence. Some of the smartest I've met have been unschooled. It has more to due with explaining why they are prone to soaking up conspiracy theories, anti-science, cult-following etc. Part of a solid education, especially part of college, is learning reasoning, elementary logic, learning how to research and argue credibly, etc. Those that don't get a high school diploma or a college degree are less exposed to these lessons. It hasn't anything to do with intelligence, it is more to do with exposure and lessons. For instance, I think Boebert would be a much more credible and stronger statesman if she had received a high school and college diploma. I think Cawthorn would be a stronger statesman if he had the will power to at least maintain a C in college. That isn't the same as electability, however. They may have been elected because they represent a largely undereducated demographic.

I have never stated that someone with a formal education is more intelligent. I think getting a formal education in a field that requires a lot of thinking, reading, arguing, debating, logic, etc. (like politics) is as important as a prospective professional athlete having experience playing in a high school or college basketball league. Certainly, they can make the NBA without having basketball experience, because maybe they are naturally gifted athletes and can learn on the fly. However, the probability of maximizing their talent and athleticism is helped by having that league experience. 

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

Although, I can understand the sentiments and socio-political turmoil that is the bedrock of this kind of viewpoint, but Absolutist Neo-Manichaean rhetoric, such as I have quoted above, is just as toxic, dehumanizing, irrational, antagonistic to true justice, and usually, eventually, leads to the same kind of dark place, as Hard Nationalism, Racial Supremacism, Theocratic Extremism, and even Fascism itself. If you cease to be capable of thinking of people as human beings just because of their ideological and social differences, and even they, too, indulge in dehumanizing comments, you are on your way to the Dark Side, even if you are opposing them for falling to the Dark Side. Both sides falling to the Dark Side to oppose each other just creates a strife-riven Sith Empire...

Although, I myself, may call out criminals, crooks, liars, betrayers of the trust, murderer with Government resources, and traitors to the people, nation, and Constitution, who keep seditious secrets from their people and hold themselves above all justice and consequences for their actions, I DELIBERATELY fall short of such unhealthy and morally self-compromising, as well as viewpoint-distorting, Neo-Manichaean rhetoric, and I must condemn it, wherever it comes up. The so-called, "prophet," Mani of the 2nd Century has a lot to answer for!

So you see no reason to support one of these groups more than the other based off my laundry list of offenses from both groups? 

50 minutes ago, Dobs said:

They can both catch the next flight off the planet on a probe bound for Uranus.

I agree. I will say that there are a few people on the GOP side who are the worst of the worst. MTG especially. 

But regardless, all of these people are attention seekers in their own fantasy. I have no respect for any of them, nor their ideas. Which are utterly ludicrous. That goes for both.

From Jewish space lasers to Israel is an apartheid state. It's all baloney.

12 hours ago, vcczar said:

The Democrat Squad:

• Ilhan Omar (MN)
  • Rashida Tlaib (MI)
  • Ayanna Pressley (MA)
  • Cori Bush (MO)
  • Jamaal Bowman (NY)

The Republican "Squad": 

• Lauren Boebert (CO)
  • Madison Cawthorn (NC)
  • Matt Gaetz (FL)
  • Josh Hawley (MO)
  • Paul Gosar (AZ)

I'll vote for the Giant Meteor Squad. It makes more sense.

Edited by Timur

12 hours ago, vcczar said:

The Democrat Squad:

• Ilhan Omar (MN)
  • Rashida Tlaib (MI)
  • Ayanna Pressley (MA)
  • Cori Bush (MO)
  • Jamaal Bowman (NY)

The Republican "Squad": 

• Lauren Boebert (CO)
  • Madison Cawthorn (NC)
  • Matt Gaetz (FL)
  • Josh Hawley (MO)
  • Paul Gosar (AZ)

That Republican squad...my god. Imagine being at a dinner table with them (forced to be)

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Another big part of, "choosing a side," here is that both of these groups are behind the same core travesty and transgression that is one of the true, biggest enemies of Democracy, Good Governance, clarity of thought, an educated electorate, a, "news," media worth watching or reading, and indeed the integrity and unity of a nation without tearing itself apart in irrational furor like a pack of starving, rapid wolves. They both attack TRUTH and CREDIBILITY. They both say things so utterly ridiculous, insults to the intelligence and conscience, paint in broad, stereotyped, absolutist strokes, make incendiary, fire-spitting rhetoric meant solely to insult their targets and rally unreasoning and COMPLETE hatred against them. They spread long-debunked myths, urban legends, partisan fairy tales, and outright lies. And they do so, emphatically, and with a straight face and sincerity, and expect to be believed and taken at face. And, tragically, many do! Even though their disingenuous and ridiculous messages have completely different content, they are still utter garbage, and are deconstructionist, because they just criticize, attack, and tear down, and offer nothing in it's place. I cannot take a side on this question, and nor should anyone who values the integrity of truth, facts, and rationality. Also, people have to get out of the habit of thinking that every issue has two obvious choices, and everyone must choose one, and be fully judged by it. The name of the false prophet Mani must be cursed instead!

I said this but a lot more digestable earlier. Agreed.

18 minutes ago, Beetlejuice said:

Replace Hawley with Miller 

I disagree. Mary Miller is a white bread suburban mom who said one very edgy thing. Josh Hawley is a nationalist who openly lead the movement to take down the election and nationalize social media. Additionally, I've come to the conclusion only people from Illinois know/care about Mary Miller.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vcczar said:

The Democrat Squad:

• Ilhan Omar (MN)
  • Rashida Tlaib (MI)
  • Ayanna Pressley (MA)
  • Cori Bush (MO)
  • Jamaal Bowman (NY)

The Republican "Squad": 

• Lauren Boebert (CO)
  • Madison Cawthorn (NC)
  • Matt Gaetz (FL)
  • Josh Hawley (MO)
  • Paul Gosar (AZ)

A plague on both houses.

1) I simply don't get the hype about AOC other than the fact that she pulled out a major upset against a powerful congressman.  I actually find her and her views quite annoying.

2) Strangely enough, I don't really hate Ilhan Omar (I actually like her hijab), but there is good reason to suspect her of being a Anti-Semite/Jew-hater.

3) Rashida Tlaib is one of my least favorite member of Congress. She is simply obnoxious. Always angry and yelling, whenever I see her. Very unpleasant. There is also reason to suspect her to be an Anti-Semite/Jew-hater (though her hostility to Israel is something I expect). "Impeach the M------------" is totally wrong and divisive and is going down into the mud with Trump. Also, she supports abolishing the police.

4) Pressley is one of the least controversial members of the Squad, as far as I understand. I don't have a positive opinion of her, but I don't know much about her.

5) Cori Bush's anti-Israel views and certain radical views are unpleasant.

6) Don't know much about Bowman.

1) Really crazy. Also, white nationalistic sentiments, connected to militia groups. QAnon supporter. Also, the type of person who supports storming the capitol.

2) Boebert is similar to MTG.

3) Madison Cawthorn gave a speech to a rally before the storming of the capitol. He said "this crowd has some fight."

4) Gaetz is similar to Greene and Boebert, but in addition, there are those sex-trafficking allegations.

5) I'll never forgive Hawley for his "no" vote concerning the anti-Asian hate crimes bill. Also, his fist pump and opposition to the certification of election results.

6) Paul Gosar's support for white nationalist groups is terrible. Even his family opposes him. He was also involved in the planning for the capitol storming along with Andy Biggs and Mo Brooks.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Timur said:

his fist pump and opposition to the certification of election results

He looks awfully like Joseph Goebbels in that photo...