The Political Lounge

The Democratic and Republican "Squads"

vcczar

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

Actual Jew-hater, or profound critic and opponent of political, foreign, and military policy of the State of Israel? The two have to be firmly separated in the public dialogue, because the term has been thoroughly abused in rhetoric and media to conflate people who are of the latter of automatically being the former - and that MUST be clamped down on, not further encouraged. Bigotry, prejudice, and hate of a complete demographic group is a vile and reprehensible thing - criticizing a Government is a right, and a necessity. Conflating the two disingenuously like that in the same term accusatorily is ALSO a vile and reprehensible thing.

Plus, the term itself should be updated to a more appropriate and accurate one. Not only does it bear the stain of horrid, politicized, slanderous misuse with ruthless abandon, it is often used nowadays to refer to Arabs, and supporters of Arab nations and movements - Arabs are also a Semitic people, like Jews, and the Arabic language is also a Semitic language, like Hebrew. And third, the late 18th Century sociologist who first coined the term was himself HIGHLY guilty of the sin the term is meant to call out.

Criticism of Israel is not anti-Semitic. I admit the term anti-Semitism isn't exactly accurate, and I prefer the term Jew-hatred.  I noticed that Meir Kahane who was Jewish preferred the term "Jew-hatred," but then he was an extremist (and probably a terrorist) (but I do prefer the term myself as it is more accurate).

https://thebulwark.com/the-problem-with-miftah/

Edited by Timur

Just now, Timur said:

Criticism of Israel is not anti-Semitic. I admit the term isn't exactly accurate, and I prefer the term.  I noticed that Meir Kahane who was Jewish preferred the term "Jew-hatred," but then he was an extremist (and probably a terrorist) (but I do prefer the term myself as it is more accurate).

https://thebulwark.com/the-problem-with-miftah/

These are my conflicted feelings...