The Political Lounge

Favorable or Unfavorable #166: Bill Clinton

vcczar

Favorable or Unfavorable #166: Bill Clinton  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Did you read my first comment?

2. 2. Favorable or Unfavorable #166: Bill Clinton

Pres. Bill Clinton (AR-D) is the first president born in 1946 (Bush and Trump are others). He was elected president in 1992, almost 31 years ago, but he's younger than Joe Biden by a few years. It's also crazy to think how red AR is now, considering he was president not too long ago. Clinton's presidency was so moderate that it could almost be considered an extenstion of the Reagan Era. 

His actions:

Clinton, Bill 1979 Gains national recognition for becoming Gov of AR at age 32
Clinton, Bill 1984 Identifies as a 3rd way, New Democrat in light of Reagan's landslide reelection
Clinton, Bill 1985 Gives Dem response to Reagan's State of the Union, helping make him a rising star
Clinton, Bill 1986 Chair of the National Governors Association, leading to a 1988 presidential run speculation
Clinton, Bill 1988 Declines to run for pres to plan Hillary Clinton for Gov of AR (plan dropped)
Clinton, Bill 1988 Gives long-winded State of the Union address at Dem Conv for Dukakis, who he had favored for pres
Clinton, Bill 1992 Survives Flowers sex scandal, bouncing back to 1st place in Dem primary
Clinton, Bill 1992 Wins 1992 election against incumbent president
Clinton, Bill 1993 Waco Siege (Branch Davidians cult)
Clinton, Bill 1993 Reverses Reagan-Bush Mexico City policy on abortion
Clinton, Bill 1993 Appts 1st Lady Hillary Clinton to lead government healthcare initiative, but it fails (Hillarycare)
Clinton, Bill 1993 Uses influence to help lead NAFTA ratification
Clinton, Bill 1993 Signs Omnibus Budget Act
Clinton, Bill 1993 Signs the Brady Act (background check bill)
Clinton, Bill 1993 Sends special forces in Somalia, but the mission is badly bungled
Clinton, Bill 1993 Presides during 1993 WTC bombing
Clinton, Bill 1993 Whitewater Controversy
Clinton, Bill 1993 Appts Ginsburg to the SC
Clinton, Bill 1993 Mediates the Oslo I Accord in unsuccessful attempt to secure peace between Israeli and the PLO
Clinton, Bill 1993 Issues Don't Ask, Don't Tell in the military regarding open and closeted gay soldiers
Clinton, Bill 1993 Orders bungled intervention in Somalia and is forced to withdraw
Clinton, Bill 1994 Presides as the White House gets a website
Clinton, Bill 1994 Declares Iran a state sponsor of terrorism
Clinton, Bill 1994 Appts Breyer to the SC
Clinton, Bill 1994 Sees the opposition GOP gain control of the US House for the 1st time in 42 years (1952)
Clinton, Bill 1994 Opts not to intervene to stop Rwandan Genocide, as no strategic/economic interest
Clinton, Bill 1994 Signs the Violent Crime Bill, which has an federal assault weapons ban
Clinton, Bill 1994 Restores toppled Aristide Gov in Haiti by threatening to invade.
Clinton, Bill 1994 Paula Jones sex scandal
Clinton, Bill 1994 Authorizes airstrikes in Yugoslavia
Clinton, Bill 1995 Dayton Agreement, results in end of Bosnian War
Clinton, Bill 1995 Normalized relations w/ Vietnam, angering many conservatives and Vietnam vets
Clinton, Bill 1995 Tangles w/ Gingrich on two long governent shutdowns but comes out on top in the polls
Clinton, Bill 1996 Signs the Defense of Marriage Act
Clinton, Bill 1996 Signs Illegal Immigration Reform
Clinton, Bill 1996 Signs Welfare reform champions by GOP (PRWORA)
Clinton, Bill 1996 Survives assassination attempt ordered by Bin Laden in Philippines (revealed pubicly after Clinton presidency)
Clinton, Bill 1996 Wins reelection, becoming 1st Dem to win a 2nd full-term since FDR
Clinton, Bill 1996 Campaign finance controversy involving illegal campaign donations from China
Clinton, Bill 1997 Signs Balanced Budget Act, which includes healthcare for children (CHIP)
Clinton, Bill 1997 Campaign finance controversy involving Lincoln Bedroom and megadonors
Clinton, Bill 1998 Begins US policy of targeting Bin Laden bombings of US Embassies, which killed hundreds of people
Clinton, Bill 1998 Declares Saddam Hussein is building WMDs in Iraq during State of the Union address
Clinton, Bill 1998 Presides over first budget surplus since the 1960s; Clinton economic boom
Clinton, Bill 1998 Signs Iraqi Liberation Act, which declares an intention for regime change; bombs Iraq
Clinton, Bill 1998 Signs Kyoto Protocol, but Senate refuses to ratify it
Clinton, Bill 1995 Lies under oath during his Lewinsky Scandal
Clinton, Bill 1998 Impeached, but acquitted over behavior for and after the Lewinsky Scandal
Clinton, Bill 1999 Authorizes bombing Serbs in Kosovo War
Clinton, Bill 1999 Signs Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, removing Glass-Steagall
Clinton, Bill 2000 VP Gore, more or less, distances himself from Clinton during 2000 election, now considered a poor strategy
Clinton, Bill 2000 Fails in strong effort to find peace between Israel and Palestine in Camp David Summit
Clinton, Bill 2000 Establishes permanent normal trade relations w/ China (US-China Relations Act)
Clinton, Bill 2001 Leaves presidency as the first to have appt more women and minorities fed judges than white male fed judges
Clinton, Bill 2005 Joins GHW Bush to help raise money to aid victims of Hurricane Katrina
Clinton, Bill 2005 Founds Clinton Global Initiative to help with world problems
Clinton, Bill 2008 becomes 1st fmr pres to campaign for his wife in a primary
Clinton, Bill 2009 Travels to North Korea and secures release of two imprisoned US journalists there
Clinton, Bill 2009 made UN special envoy to Haiti to help with crises there
Clinton, Bill 2010 Joins GHW Bush to help raise money for victims of a massive earthquake in Haiti
Clinton, Bill 2012 Gives widely praised speech for Obama at Dem Conv
Clinton, Bill 2016 becomes 1st fmr pres to see his wife become a pres nom
Clinton, Bill 2016 His sex scandals reemerge as part of Trump's tactics to distract from his own
Clinton, Bill 2018 Reputation hit during MeToo Movement, for past behavior
Clinton, Bill 2019 Name comes up due to ties to Jeffrey Epstein during Epstein scandal, along w/ Donald Trump & Prince Andrew, but nothing is inciminating is found for him or Trump

This is a lot like that Cassius Clay guy, pretty good politics, but an awful human being. Funnily enough they’re both child molesters, though Clinton also has a history of consensual adultery, and, at best, coercing sex from women he has power over so I guess he’s worse. He’s a truly disgusting human being, and the fact that he ever occupied the Oval Office is a blotch on our nation’s soul.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

This is a lot like that Cassius Clay guy, pretty good politics, but an awful human being. Funnily enough they’re both child molesters, though Clinton also has a history of consensual adultery, and, at best, coercing sex from women he has power over so I guess he’s worse. He’s a truly disgusting human being, and the fact that he ever occupied the Oval Office is a blotch on our nation’s soul.

Completely agree.

35 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Funnily enough they’re both child molesters, though Clinton

I've heard conspiracy theorist-like talk of him being linked to children, but I've never heard anything coming from a credible source (fact-checked by a recognized reliable source). Where did you get your information for this? 

44 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I've heard conspiracy theorist-like talk of him being linked to children, but I've never heard anything coming from a credible source (fact-checked by a recognized reliable source). Where did you get your information for this? 

Chiefly his ties to Epstein and proof from travel logs that he visited the “island” on multiple occasions. This is the testimony of one of Epsteins former pilots and an aide. 

1 minute ago, Pringles said:

Chiefly his ties to Epstein and proof from travel logs that he visited the “island” on multiple occasions. This is the testimony of one of Epsteins former pilots and an aide. 

But Trump, Bill Gates, Noam Chomsky, etc., etc., etc. also flew on his plane at various times. I'm not discounting that Clinton was party to Epstein's perversions, but I'm yet to see any credible proof he was part of it. Chomsky said all of his meetings were just financial. Possibly with all of them. I think the only one that's been hit with evidence among the notables is Prince Andrew. 

14 minutes ago, vcczar said:

But Trump, Bill Gates, Noam Chomsky, etc., etc., etc. also flew on his plane at various times.

I also think those people are child molesters, but as to the evidence against Clinton my primary source was the testimony of Virginia Roberts Giuffre which I have no reason to doubt. Sure she didn’t say ‘Bill Clinton raped a child’ but he was on the island where child rape orgies were common and known about you do the math. There’s also Doug Brand’s comments on the matter. Sure there’s no hard evidence but there’s rarely any hard evidence in these sorts of things, especially when your talking about something that happened decades ago, and perpetrated by some of the most powerful men in the world.

3 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

I also think those people are child molesters, but as to the evidence against Clinton my primary source was the testimony of Virginia Roberts Giuffre which I have no reason to doubt. Sure she didn’t say ‘Bill Clinton raped a child’ but he was on the island where child rape orgies were common and known about you do the math. There’s also Doug Brand’s comments on the matter. Sure there’s no hard evidence but there’s rarely any hard evidence in these sorts of things, especially when your talking about something that happened decades ago, and perpetrated by some of the most powerful men in the world.

I wish those that were children at the time (or May still be) would come forward to lock all these people up, if it’s true. 

To me there isn’t enough tangible evidence for me to assume child molesting, although both Trump and Clinton have past behavior toward young women that would make it unsurprising. I would be shocked if Chomsky (who seems to me to be almost asexual) or Gates has anything to do with orgies, children, or otherwise.