The Political Lounge

Summer 2021 AMPU Playtest

19 minutes ago, Cal said:

Samuel Adams, I assume?

Indeed! I really don’t know how I made that mistake.

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

@jvikings1 @SilentLiberty @Cal @Rezi @WVProgressive @ConservativeElector2 @DakotaHale @themiddlepolitical @Rodja and @Hestia @MrPotatoTed

Time to pick Faction Leaders. As Congress begins discussing urgent matters, factions have been forming as to how to proceed with British aggression. These proto-factions have been seeking a spokesperson to represent their concerns and ideals. Ignore the rules below about having previously held office. This is moot for Era of Independence. 

Faction Leaders Selected:

An elected President is automatically leader of their faction.  Otherwise, the faction chooses their leader -- the leader must have the same ideology as at least one of the ideology’s cards, interests, and lobbyists.  The Faction Leader must also currently have “leadership” or “kingmaker” and currently be holding an office or, if not holding office, previously served as Pres, VP, Sec of State. If they don’t have “leadership” or “kingmaker,” they must hold the office of President, VP, Speaker, Sen Maj Ldr, or Sec of State. The faction leader cannot have the “obscure” trait.  If none apply, then any politician with the same ideology as the ideology card may be selected. If a faction does not have an ideology card then they must select a politician with one of the dominant ideology (ideologies) according to the Historical Era for dominant ideologies for their party for the current era. If none are eligible, then any ideology will do.   

The faction leader’s personal ideology will determine the faction’s ideology enthusiasm meter in regards to the faction’s support for the party leader. Therefore, if a faction has “Conservative” and “Traditionalist,” and the faction leader is “Traditionalist,” then the faction is linked only to the “Traditionalist” meter. However, all faction cards will play a role in scoring. Therefore, the “Conservative” card will still impact points on legislation and etc that are passed, repealed, activated, deactivated, etc. 

A faction leader has a 25% chance of losing “obscure” each term.

Just to clarify, can the leader come from one of the lobbyist cards? @vcczar

If so, I'll go with George Washington. If not (and I have to go with someone with liberal), I will go with Thomas McKean

9 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Just to clarify, can the leader come from one of the lobbyist cards? @vcczar

If so, I'll go with George Washington. If not (and I have to go with someone with liberal), I will go with Thomas McKean

Yeah, it will have to be a "liberal" since that is your ideology card. So McKean it is. 

15 hours ago, Cal said:

@vcczar @MrPotatoTed

In the new rules, is there any way that I could get Benedict Arnold into the legislative, governing, or run for President through any shenanigans, appointments, or military victories?

Only via a general event. Some of those allow you to give a politician an ability they don't have.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I guess Jay serves ex officio as my faction leader.

Pres of Congress doesn't automatically serve as faction leader as it isn't a hugely powerful position. If Jay is a "conservative" he can serve, otherwise you need to pick a "conservative." Jay is a "Moderate" so he can't be your party leader. 

Once @ConservativeElector2 picks a different Faction Leader, we can move on to the next phase, which will be the General Event phase. @MrPotatoTed can handle this part once CE2 responds, if he has the time. Otherwise, I might not get to it until tomorrow. 

The President of the Congress will respond to General Events, unless someone other than the "president" is mentioned. 

I should also mention that you may notice we skipped the Party Leader phase. We hadn't official parties until the Constitution was cobbled together (actually not really parties until c. 1790-1792), so Party Leaders aren't elected until the Era of Federalism. 

I have updated the Main Tab to reflect Party Leaders. I have updated the history tab to show these leaders. Will need to appoint someone to keep up with this tab at some point. 

@MrPotatoTed you mentioned that ideologies aren't being counted accurately. Could you point me to a specific place where this is happening? I couldn't find an issue, but I might have missed it as I wasn't counting every column. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

Once @ConservativeElector2 picks a different Faction Leader, we can move on to the next phase, which will be the General Event phase. @MrPotatoTed can handle this part once CE2 responds, if he has the time. Otherwise, I might not get to it until tomorrow. 

The President of the Congress will respond to General Events, unless someone other than the "president" is mentioned. 

I should also mention that you may notice we skipped the Party Leader phase. We hadn't official parties until the Constitution was cobbled together (actually not really parties until c. 1790-1792), so Party Leaders aren't elected until the Era of Federalism. 

I have updated the Main Tab to reflect Party Leaders. I have updated the history tab to show these leaders. Will need to appoint someone to keep up with this tab at some point. 

@MrPotatoTed you mentioned that ideologies aren't being counted accurately. Could you point me to a specific place where this is happening? I couldn't find an issue, but I might have missed it as I wasn't counting every column. 

I specifically noticed it with RedCPU moderates (it said 20, there were only 17 if memory serves).  I then noticed it happening in a few other areas, I’ll try to dive back into the sheet after I get home.  We’re at my daughter’s Tae Kwon Do class right now. Gotta teach her how to kick boys’ butts so I don’t have to do it myself. ;c)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Okay interesting. I made my assumption based on this sentence above. Anyway, I pick William Paterson as my faction leader.

President of Congress isn't the same as President of the United States. President of Congress is even less powerful than Sen Maj Ldr in many ways. I understand the confusion as you can't see the Era of Independence modifiers and I posted the general rule. 

• Agree 1

With Faction Leaders determined, we can now move to the General Events phase with CC Pres John Jay handling the General Events, unless another active office is mentioned in the event. @MrPotatoTed can start GMing the General Events today if he can. Otherwise, I won't get to it until tomorrow. 

I've updated the main tab and history tab. I've also now fixed the ideology calculations for 2 of the 12 factions. I'll keep slowly fixing these. I also need to figure out how to stop it from doing it when I add new politicians. I have an idea though. 

40 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

I can't wait to start my term (between writing essays lol).

Yeah, I'm the busiest I've been all year. It might be at about this sustained level for 6 weeks or so. I'm going to keep trying to do most of the GMing until the rules are "finalized" and the spreadsheet is "done." Then Actinguy will take over, except for me helping out on filling some tab info into we can get volunteers. Once that happens, I'll be finishing up the Era of the Future and trying to get the game finally to development.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, I'm the busiest I've been all year. It might be at about this sustained level for 6 weeks or so. I'm going to keep trying to do most of the GMing until the rules are "finalized" and the spreadsheet is "done." Then Actinguy will take over, except for me helping out on filling some tab info into we can get volunteers. Once that happens, I'll be finishing up the Era of the Future and trying to get the game finally to development.

Yeah no worries. I am so excited for this playthrough although I am writing about eight essays since the start of July.

• Like 2

RANDOM EVENTS 1774-1776

"Abilities increase"
-- " Player with the lowest score has a random politician's abilities rise by 1 in every category that is not a 0" (Proposal to @vcczar: perhaps we remove the "not a 0 restriction," as I don't necessarily follow the thought process that it should be literally impossible for some politicians to ever run for governor, senator, etc - it can be more difficult for them, sure, but getting lucky with an "Abilities increase" roll going their way should open unlock that gate, I feel.)

Anywho, "lowest score" is a three-way tie right now.  I've rolled a die and landed on @Rezi.

Rolling randomly on @Rezi's sheet, landed on Daniel Hiester.  Hiester now has a 3 in legislative, a 2 in governing, a 2 in military, and a 2 in admin.  Renaissance man!

"Eager Followers" --  Random faction leader with both "Leadership" and either "Charisma" or "Iron Fist" gains three lackeys from their faction. Randomly select three politicians in the faction that do not have "Leadership" or "Puritan" that gain "Lackey".

@WVProgressive Samuel Adams and @Rodja Thomas Jefferson are the only faction leaders to meet these prerequisites.  Rolled and it's Sam Adams. 

Rolling randomly among @WVProgressive's faction... Ebenezer Hazard, Horatio Gates, and Patrick Henry all gain "Lackey" trait as they become eager followers of Sammy Adams.