The Political Lounge

German Polls

Hestia

According to a few new polls out of Germany, we've got a little bit of a weird situation.

Two polls by INSA asked two questions: party preference if CDU leader Laschet was chosen, or if CSU leader Soder was chosen. The results were very different

versus 

This is the first time I've seen the SPD above the Greens in a while, and certainly above 20% is the first time in a long time. An anomaly or the beginnings of a trend? Only time can tell, but if Laschet is the nominee, the CDU could have trouble. 

The Greens have announced their Chancellor candidate before the CDU/CSU has settled on theirs: Annalena Baerbock. The leadership "contest" (which wasn't really a contest) on the Green side was much more streamlined and practical - which could hurt the Union even more going forward. I think she could give the CDU the best run for their money in quite a while. Smart, practical, good on her feet - they have a shot. 

Edited by Hestia

6 hours ago, Hestia said:

The Greens have announced their Chancellor candidate before the CDU/CSU has settled on theirs: Annalena Baerbock. The leadership "contest" (which wasn't really a contest) on the Green side was much more streamlined and practical - which could hurt the Union even more going forward. I think she could give the CDU the best run for their money in quite a while. Smart, practical, good on her feet - they have a shot. 

Nice. I'm a Die Linke supporter first, and foremost, but overall I'm hoping for a Green-Red-Red Coalition, with Baerbock, and the Greens as the largest party.