The Political Lounge

Favorable or Unfavorable #387: Benjamin Harrison

vcczar

Favorable or Unfavorable #387: Benjamin Harrison  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Did you read my first comment?

2. 2. Favorable or Unfavorable #387: Benjamin Harrison

Pres. Benjamin Harrison (IN-R) is probably the most active one-term domestic-oriented (non-military) president of the 19th century. He really foreshadows Theodore Roosevelt, although Harrison is not a progressive. Harrison shows that the establishment was picking up on progressive ideas prior the Progressive Era, which saw the population liking the direction that these new ideas were going and wanted to see more of it. 

Harrison was known as the "human iceberg" because of a cold personality. He also looked like one of the seven dwarves, all 5'6" of him. He wouldn't have a shot of getting elected today in an era where grown men like Trump and DeSantis are wearing high heels to look taller and corsets to look thinner, and in Trump's case, makeup, blush, hair products, etc (Trump is ALL girl). Harrison, a scion of a dynasty, would also have a hard time connecting to the people in a social media era. 

in Harrison's day, he was considered a massive failure, seeing historic landslide defeats in the House during the midterms. And losing the popular vote on election and during his defeat for reelection. Scholars have generally ranked him a little better since he's been out of office, especially for his attempts to get Congress to enforce voting rights for Blacks, although Congress failed. 

Overall, he's more consequential than he's given credit for.  

His actions:

Harrison, Benjamin 1864 Commands brigade during Atlanta Campaign as a Colonel
Harrison, Benjamin 1865 Promoted as a brevet Brig Gen
Harrison, Benjamin 1877 Recently defeated GOP nom for Gov of IND leads group of citizens opposed to strikers in Great RR Strike
Harrison, Benjamin 1880 Plays influential role in getting his state to back Garfield for pres at GOP Conv to end deadlock
Harrison, Benjamin 1881 Declines cabinet offer from Garfield b/c just elected to US Sen
Harrison, Benjamin 1882 Unlike most GOPers, opposes Chinese Exclusion Act
Harrison, Benjamin 1884 Backs Blaine for GOP nom after initial neutrality
Harrison, Benjamin 1885? Introduces pension bill for dependents of CW vets, but it is vetoed by Cleveland
Harrison, Benjamin 1886 Future pres defeated for reelection to US Senate
Harrison, Benjamin 1888 Wins election of 1888, but loses the pop vote to Cleveland; 1st pres grandson of a former pres
Harrison, Benjamin 1889 Signs bill opening Indian Territories to White Settlement
Harrison, Benjamin 1889 Presides as ND, SD, MT, and WA gain statehood
Harrison, Benjamin 1890 Presides as ID and WY gain statehood
Harrison, Benjamin 1890 Signs Dependent and Disabililty Pension Act
Harrison, Benjamin 1890 Signs McKinley Tariff
Harrison, Benjamin 1890 Signs Oklahoma Organic Act
Harrison, Benjamin 1890 Role in Pan-American Conference
Harrison, Benjamin 1890 Signed Sherman Silver Purchase Act
Harrison, Benjamin 1890 Signed Sherman Antitrust Act
Harrison, Benjamin 1890 Supports the Force Bill in Senate, but it is defeated, leading to strong Jim Crow Laws in South
Harrison, Benjamin 1890 Brief embargo war w/ Germany
Harrison, Benjamin 1890 Appts Brewer to the SC
Harrison, Benjamin 1890 Presides during Wounded Knee Massacre, often considered the last major military engagement with Native Americans
Harrison, Benjamin 1891 Appts HB Brown to the SC
Harrison, Benjamin 1891 Handles ailing Blair's duties and leads US to brink of war with Chile
Harrison, Benjamin 1891 Signs General Revisions Act, a conservation act
Harrison, Benjamin 1891 Signs Judiciary Act of 1891
Harrison, Benjamin 1892 Appts Shiras to the SC
Harrison, Benjamin 1892 Loses bid for reelection
Harrison, Benjamin 1893 Appts HE Jackson to the SC
Harrison, Benjamin 1893 Presides during presentation of Annexation treaty to Senate, but Cleveland withdraws it when he takes over as pres
Harrison, Benjamin 1896 Declines pressure to run for non-consecutive second term; backs McKinley
Harrison, Benjamin 1899 Attends the First Peace Conference (Hague Conventions)

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

Trump's case, makeup, blush, hair products, etc (Trump is ALL girl).

You all need to drop comments on Trump.  Look back at yourself and your own actions.  You progressives caused Trump.  You all supported Hillary in 2016, a crook who said that anyone who did not vote for her was a "basket of deplorables" and recently said that anyone who did not vote for Biden should be, "placed in a concentration camp to be reeducated."  And Trump is the fascist?  Reeducation camp sounds to me like something Hitler or Stalin or Mao did.  Keep insulting people if you want but do not be surprised if people get pissed off and decide they do not like being insulted.  Yes, Trump is someone who cannot keep his foot out of his mouth and yes if he is nominated I probably won't vote for him in 2024 but to be insulted because you do not like someone?  80 million people voted for Trump so that must be a big concentration camp you all have planned.  Where will it be just so I know?  No one wants to live in California anymore so maybe you can place it there?  East coast where you are? 

4 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

You all supported Hillary in 2016, a crook

Hillary Clinton's not facing indictments. Trump is facing like 91 and he's faced a lot of legal controversies before he was president. Hillary isn't a saint, but if the term "crook" must be applied to anyone, it's 100% more appliable to Trump. Not even close. 

Hillary's "deplorable" comments was directed at white supremacists, white nationalists, xenophobes, bigots, the grand majority of whom voted for Trump and still support Trump. I think even you would admit they are "deplorables." 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Hillary Clinton's not facing indictments. Trump is facing like 91 and he's faced a lot of legal controversies before he was president. Hillary isn't a saint, but if the term "crook" must be applied to anyone, it's 100% more appliable to Trump. Not even close. 

Hillary's "deplorable" comments was directed at white supremacists, white nationalists, xenophobes, bigots, the grand majority of whom voted for Trump and still support Trump. I think even you would admit they are "deplorables." 

She said "half" I do not believe that "half" of the people who voted for Trump aka 37 million people in the US, are white supremacists, white nationalists, xenophobes, bigots.  If that was true then it would be a huge issue in the US currently and these "half" would have taken over the government. 

She was not charged with anything because she was protected.  She had a state department computer in her house and she was not supposed to have classified material in her private possession.  

Also it has 4 trials not 91.  

Oh and since you teach history you should admit, not that Democrats ever will, but the racists for most of US History were Democrats: KKK members marching down Penn Avenue in 1925....starting the KKK.....Jim Crow Laws......Welfare to keep people in your camp and not let people out once they are in despite that President Johnson made clear it was supposed to be only 5 years....Vietnam and Korea to attack other people because they are "communists", I can go on.  That sounds a bit deplorable to me. 

Edited by Bushwa777

3 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Also it has 4 trials not 91.  

4 trials and 91 indictments. 

4 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

you should admit, not that Democrats ever will, but the racists for most of US History were Democrats: KKK members marching down

I don't refute that at all. My attacks and promotions aren't typically on party. It's on policy and on behavior. If the Democrats ever became the of the "deplorables", I'd vote Republicans, but right now the Republicans have the deplorables. I'll always vote for the most socially liberal party that has a shot at 270 EVs. The GOP is going in the totally opposite direction, leaving the Democrats as the only viable option. 

Just now, vcczar said:

4 trials and 91 indictments. 

I don't refute that at all. My attacks and promotions aren't typically on party. It's on policy and on behavior. If the Democrats ever became the of the "deplorables", I'd vote Republicans, but right now the Republicans have the deplorables. I'll always vote for the most socially liberal party that has a shot at 270 EVs. The GOP is going in the totally opposite direction, leaving the Democrats as the only viable option. 

So you vote for Hillary and her plan to put me and others on this site into Concentration Camp since we won't vote for Biden in 2024?  Well with that plan I guess Anthony will have another reason to not finish the game since he will be locked up as well since when Hillary gets the chance to do it Canada will follow.  

• Disagree 1

52 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Oh and since you teach history you should admit, not that Democrats ever will, but the racists for most of US History were Democrats: KKK members marching down Penn Avenue in 1925....starting the KKK.....Jim Crow Laws......Welfare to keep people in your camp and not let people out once they are in despite that President Johnson made clear it was supposed to be only 5 years....Vietnam and Korea to attack other people because they are "communists", I can go on.  That sounds a bit deplorable to me. 

I don’t see the logic here in pointing to the actions of past people that happen to share the same “Democratic” label. Why even bring that up? The modern Democratic Party is inarguably worlds away from the Dixiecrats or the antebellum Democrats.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Euri said:

I don’t see the logic here in pointing to the actions of past people that happen to share the same “Democratic” label. Why even bring that up? The modern Democratic Party is inarguably worlds away from the Dixiecrats or the antebellum Democrats.

Because there are people in this forum who have seen what "Christians" do in the past and automatically assume that All Christians are like that today.  Therefore by that same reasoning what goes around comes around.  Democrats were evil once and I see them still that way today....for instance if you are not the same way then I think Hillary  calling for EVERYONE who votes for Trump or is a Republican (same in her mind) be locked up in a concentration camp for reeducation should be condemned.  Yet I do not see that happening here.  But if Trump thought it you know it would be all over this forum as "evil" which it is .  How about fair play?  

• Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

Because there are people in this forum who have seen what "Christians" do in the past and automatically assume that All Christians are like that today.  Therefore by that same reasoning what goes around comes around.  Democrats were evil once and I see them still that way today....for instance if you are not the same way then I think Hillary  calling for EVERYONE who votes for Trump or is a Republican (same in her mind) be locked up in a concentration camp for reeducation should be condemned.  Yet I do not see that happening here.  But if Trump thought it you know it would be all over this forum as "evil" which it is .  How about fair play?  

Might I get a quote of her saying that? Is this the “basket of deplorables” moment or something else?

Edited by Euri

I think we need to tone it down a little here. Vs comment about Trump was just satire about how modern candidates in the social media/TV age act to appear better. 

With that said, I’m favorable towards Harrison, but I still don’t rank him particularly high as President.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1