The Political Lounge

What radically different governing structure/ history would you most like to try out?

pman

I am just curious- I don't think we've ever playtested a radically different governing structure or history. I see a few possible ones. We bickered over the lifetime President amendment in the 1868 playtest. That's one example. I am interested in play testing one with radically different regions. Specifically, I think a northern playtest would be interesting.  Anything else like that interest anyone?

28 minutes ago, theFreezerFlame said:

Let's do a radically different Constitutional Convention.

That would be the way to go. When was the last Constitutional Convention playtest? I think doing a very counter-factual playtest is important because if this ever gets made, people are obviously going to test rules like lifetime President and versions of the USA with massively different regions, etc. Of course, we'd need an experienced GM to run something like a Constitutional Convention with the goal of attempting a very different version of history type of play test.

Edited by pman

34 minutes ago, theFreezerFlame said:

I'd be game for a 1772-2022 playtest if anyone's interested to GM.

This would be awesome!

The issue is 1. finding a gm willing to take it on. 2. the speed of spreadsheet playtesting- most playtests die before you'd get there. I think the longest one so far is Tyler's which is 50ish years in. And that one started back in June of 2022.

• Like 1

I just checked and all we were able to accomplish was "Constitution: Slave-State Compromise Option 😄 Slaves not counted towards Electoral vote total of states".

I'd be very interested in a playtest with no Senate and only the House since that could prove a little bit volatile. Also a game where the CSA wins would be intriguing but definitely hard to pull off how things have been tested with the Civil War so far.

1 hour ago, ebrk85 said:

The CPU is programmed to want historical choices. So yea human players have to band together to get anything ahistorical though a Convention. And even then it's really hard.

Funnily enough, I actually wonder if a long-running 9 CPU game would bring about some very ahistorical outcomes- given that effect on the faction score plays the largest part in how a CPU votes, I can easily imagine most games playing out where the slaves are never freed and women never get the right to vote.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Largo833 said:

Funnily enough, I actually wonder if a long-running 9 CPU game would bring about some very ahistorical outcomes- given that effect on the faction score plays the largest part in how a CPU votes, I can easily imagine most games playing out where the slaves are never freed and women never get the right to vote.

I will do that for all of you.  I only intend to do one human me and rest cpu. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 8:51 PM, ebrk85 said:

The CPU is programmed to want historical choices. So yea human players have to band together to get anything ahistorical though a Convention. And even then it's really hard.

I know you're right. I do however think it's actually easier to have a drastically ahistorical playing than you might think.  Essential the human player would just need to control 2-3 of the Blue factions. Many of the more extreme positions like lifetime President would be quite easy to force through with a player controlling 2-3 of those center Blue factions but it's really something we won't be able to test out until Beta.  The first two eras of the game are so biased (as they were irl) that you could do a ton of damage to historical norms if you control the Blue Party until 1840. 

Edited by pman

On 11/29/2023 at 9:27 PM, Largo833 said:

Ya'll are aware of our playtest which has the longest historical span (nearly 60 years now) and is 9 CPU right?

Just now, pman said:

No actually I wasn't aware. Interesting. It's great to see a play test go on for so long. 

Yeah, that was more directed specifically at what I quoted, but my point was we've been doing exactly that, and gotten the furthest of any playtest, and have the highest quality/most realistic results of anyone.  That's why I'm always on about the real problem being players backstabbing each other.

• Like 1
  • Based 1