The Political Lounge

Forum Ideology Project

Pringles

I've done some political data science work before, and I'd recommend using 1-7 and then averaging the sum against total polls voted in, 1 being one wing and 7 the other.  That way mod can be counted, and everyone will be on the scale between 1 and 7 allowing easy comparison.

Edited by OrangeP47
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I have limited time in the morning before work, but here's what I got and I can explain more later.

Assign each pol 1-7.  Give each participant the points for voting favorable.  Divide by how many favorable they had total (not number of polls!).  This will be their ideology score.  Counting unfavorables would be "double dipping" and we don't want that under this system.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OrangeP47 said:

I have limited time in the morning before work, but here's what I got and I can explain more later.

Assign each pol 1-7.  Give each participant the points for voting favorable.  Divide by how many favorable they had total (not number of polls!).  This will be their ideology score.  Counting unfavorables would be "double dipping" and we don't want that under this system.

I like this idea. I was familiar with the 5 point Likert Scale, conveniently enough, AMPU ideologies make us able to use a 7 point scale!

4 hours ago, Pringles said:

I like this idea. I was familiar with the 5 point Likert Scale, conveniently enough, AMPU ideologies make us able to use a 7 point scale!

Yeah, I suppose other # of point Likerts are things too, just in Grad School the Political Stats professor drilled in 7 because it's so baked into politics.  I think I filed away in my head that AMPU already had the 7 pointer for ideos, but didn't know what to do with that fact until now haha.

Random obscure fact: Likert is pronounced "Lick-urt" not "Lie-kurt" like many people do.

Also I support the 1-7 or you could so 0 is Mod and -1, -2, -3 for liberal ideologies and 1, 2, 3 for conservative ideologies if you wanted to scale the numbers that way. It'll end up the same but with a 0 neutral point it feels more natural when understanding it and then you can talk about the distance from 0 each politician is.

• Based 1

3 hours ago, Ich_bin_Tyler said:

Random obscure fact: Likert is pronounced "Lick-urt" not "Lie-kurt" like many people do.

Also I support the 1-7 or you could so 0 is Mod and -1, -2, -3 for liberal ideologies and 1, 2, 3 for conservative ideologies if you wanted to scale the numbers that way. It'll end up the same but with a 0 neutral point it feels more natural when understanding it and then you can talk about the distance from 0 each politician is.

The thing is, we want mod to actually add to the scale, so it can't be 0, or you'd be adding 0.  We want an affirmative than yes you like the moderate.

6 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

The thing is, we want mod to actually add to the scale, so it can't be 0, or you'd be adding 0.  We want an affirmative than yes you like the moderate.

If you are averaging the 0 will drag the average back to 0. It's a common social science practice for opposite scalar items.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ich_bin_Tyler said:

If you are averaging the 0 will drag the average back to 0. It's a common social science practice for opposite scalar items.

Ope, you're right, this is what happens when I come home and immediately open 20 tabs to read all the forum nonsense while I've been away.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ich_bin_Tyler said:

1 hour ago, OrangeP47 said:

Ope, you're right, this is what happens when I come home and immediately open 20 tabs to read all the forum nonsense while I've been away.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I will be using the Likert scale for sure in the way Tyler suggested. It’ll be easy to input that data on a graph as well.

12 minutes ago, Bushwa777 said:

So im confused is this supposed to figure out our ideology?

By tracking what politicians you’re approving of, yes. All of us already know our ideology. But I thought it would be neat to put us on an ideological spectrum, similar to the image I provided. Also pretty akin to the website called Voteview, which tracks individuals in the Senate and House based on their votes. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly slow start but here's where things stand at the moment. Should get going a lot quicker as I get into the rhythm. Even on days I work I'll be able to get some stuff knocked out since I have 1-1.5 hour breaks. Right now everybody is looking like centrists since these are largely moderate politicians. But that'll change! 😛 

image.png.770f9fb24ee4fe6780fb6744b76cb18e.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pringles said:

Slightly slow start but here's where things stand at the moment. Should get going a lot quicker as I get into the rhythm. Even on days I work I'll be able to get some stuff knocked out since I have 1-1.5 hour breaks. Right now everybody is looking like centrists since these are largely moderate politicians. But that'll change! 😛 

image.png.770f9fb24ee4fe6780fb6744b76cb18e.png

Can you explain what you ultimately decided to do to organize these. I don't understand the ranking.