The Political Lounge

Canadian Election

Timur

Canadian Election  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you support?

• Justin Trudeau (Liberal)
    • Erin O'Toole (Conservative)
    • Yves-François Blanchet (Bloc Quebecois)
    • Jagmeet Singh (New Democratic Party)
    • Annamie Paul (Green)
    • Maxime Bernier (People's)

So, thanks to a post by @Hestia, I found out that there was a possibility that there might a Canadian election this year.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hestia said:

I would hope for a Liberal minority with a strong NDP.

While my ideal scenario would be an NDP government, this is the best of the realistic scenarios.

• Like 1

I'm not too knowledgeable on Canadian politics... never have been. Which is surprising because it's right next to us and I follow much more political stuff in nations such as the UK... Germany... France... Bulgaria... and Japan. But I know 2 things.

1. I don't like Trudeau.

2. I think Mr. Wonderful (Kevin O'Leary) would make a great Prime Minister. 😛 

Shark Tank's Kevin O'Leary is Bullish On Cryptocurrency and Psychedelics

If Canada were enlightened and used RCV I'd rank as follows:

1. People's Party (Depending on local candidate)

2. Conservative Party (See above note)

2.5 Bloc Quebecois (if applicable)

3. Liberal Party

4. New Democratic Party

5. Green Party

Ultimately, I'd focus on the differences between the Conservative and People's candidates. If the PPP runs a joker I'd vote Tory but if they seem to have a good head on their soldier and represent right-libertarian principles well I'd support Bernier's party. Many of you will remember my playing Bernier as I'd like him to act back in the 2019 Canada RP.

23 minutes ago, Patine said:

The People's Party are utterly detestable, and would rapidly destroy the country and if they gained Government. Canada would quickly cease to be one of the very top most enviable places to live in the world, and become a garbage bin nation.

Not a fan of left-leaning parties, but I from what I understand that the People's Party have been making "It's Okay to be White" statements recently. It is okay to be white, but the purpose of these statements are suspicious. (Asian-hating Pauline Hanson used that term, for example)

Edited by Timur

55 minutes ago, Patine said:

The People's Party of Canada left-leaning? What flimsy source told you that?

Also, left-leaning parties are more inclined, ideologically, to hold the interests of the common people at higher priority. Right-leaning parties tend to favour the rich and big corporations, and social and religious causes that don't even follow the doctrine or beliefs they were originally even founded on, but use the label disingenuously to ulterior motive. This is, of course, a tendency, not an absolute. I find supporting the common people a more ethical and conscientious position to be able to defend politically.

Not fan of Liberal, NDP, Green, etc. Badly worded statement of mine.

I selected Green out of ignorance of Canadian elections. Does Green have a realistic chance of winning enough seats to get the Prime Ministership? If not, then I change my vote to Trudeau. I especially change my vote if voting Green over Labor makes it more likely that a right wing party wins. 

If there were multi-round voting. I'd put Green 1st and Labour 2nd. That way, if Green is eliminated, at least Labour has a shot at becoming PM. 

This is what I don't like about minor parties. They're often much more preferable, but because they haven't any chance at winning, they're often a trap that helps the more detestable major party wins because, in my instance, a socially liberal voter has voted Green instead of Labour. Although, perhaps Canada has so many LW voters compared to RW voters that voting for Green isn't too much of a risk as it is in America. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I selected Green out of ignorance of Canadian elections. Does Green have a realistic chance of winning enough seats to get the Prime Ministership? If not, then I change my vote to Trudeau. I especially change my vote if voting Green over Labor makes it more likely that a right wing party wins. 

If there were multi-round voting. I'd put Green 1st and Labour 2nd. That way, if Green is eliminated, at least Labour has a shot at becoming PM. 

This is what I don't like about minor parties. They're often much more preferable, but because they haven't any chance at winning, they're often a trap that helps the more detestable major party wins because, in my instance, a socially liberal voter has voted Green instead of Labour. Although, perhaps Canada has so many LW voters compared to RW voters that voting for Green isn't too much of a risk as it is in America. 

Trudeau is Liberal not Labour,Liberal Party of Canada is like Democrats in USA,NDP is like UK's Labour.

37 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Green has little shot and they're actively fighting their leader (they had 3 MPs, believe 1 left to join the Liberals so now 2). 

8 hours ago, Patine said:

The People's Party are utterly detestable, and would rapidly destroy the country and if they gained Government. Canada would quickly cease to be one of the very top most enviable places to live in the world, and become a garbage bin nation.

I disagree. But again, depends on the local candidate and Berniers rhetoric. I’d be a swing voter between the Tories and the PPC.

2 hours ago, Rodja said:

Trudeau is Liberal not Labour,Liberal Party of Canada is like Democrats in USA,NDP is like UK's Labour.

Jagmeet Singh is pretty amazing, The Green Party's political infighting isn't a good look. I'd be die-hard NDP, and if a random 5 point swing from Liberal to NDP happened, they would be super powerful. 

Edited by themiddlepolitical

18 minutes ago, Patine said:

@Pringlesadmits up front to a lack of knowledge of Canadian politics, and then outright, "disagrees," with my analysis of a Canadian party leader. What new source of information leads you to this, "enlightenment," @Pringles? I hope it's not just sheer contrarian spite, or falling back on ideological stereotypes and cliches, and there is actually a recently-discovered nugget of if information there.

Calm down and take your blood pressure medicine. I'm disagreeing with your characterization of Mr. Wonderful. I dont know Mulroney. Wasnt talking about him at all. YOU did.

I am curious about Japanese politics, it's not like it has been a one party state, The Con. Democratic Party I believe won 2 elections ago no?

Edited by themiddlepolitical

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

Ah, Japan. One of only four First World Nations with a worse political culture and less real choice in elections than the U.S.! 😬

And a near rock-bottom voter turnout rate, and high degree of political apathy by their population. Connection? 😉

Such a negative mass of personality you are. Yet Japan remains one of the most top notch nations in the world. With low crime and a happy populace. Oh the horror! 

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Only Sith think in absolutes! In truth, there's nuances and degrees for everything, and differing ways to view things. That's why nations are rated in a almost 100 hundred different lists complied of comparative qualities, and not just an absolute, single list of flat out, "greatest to worst nations," (at least no credible or respectable list). Also, political ideals or policies praised in one nation are disasters in another, even if the contexts of the two nations seem superficially similar. That's actually part of what I was trying to say for several posts on this thread, paraphrased, I think.

I'm well aware of such nuances. However. Among most people on this forum I think all of us except yourself and a few other doom and gloomers could say Japan is quite a well off nation. In fact, it's one of the places I'd love to go some day because of its rich history and culture. And good food!

I'm quite comfortable saying Japan is an above average, great nation from what I've seen and heard about it. And I'm glad they are now a friend of America It seems like a wonderful place. And there are plenty of facts to back that up. 

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Support of the People's Party and their base platform may show a lack of knowledge (or care) of Canadian values, and what makes Canadian society what it is, and makes Canada one of the most enviable nations to live in, and one of the most genuinely respected nations in the world (above the U.S. on these lists for several decades), and thinking that American values and what makes American society what it is, is easily interchangeable (as seems to, though without implicit statement of such, Bernier's goal to a significant degree) and no damage will be done, and, in fact, things get BETTER. I don't see Bernier's misguided pipe dream as being realistic at all - in Canada.

Canada could in fact do with some good old-fashioned American values. Which is why the PPC is so attractive. A return to the philosophical bedrock of western society - classical liberalism.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I will just see it - and treat it - as a deliberate personal attack and personal insult!

Ok. I'll keep saying it regardless buddy.

24 minutes ago, Dobs said:

Canada could in fact do with some good old-fashioned American values. Which is why the PPC is so attractive. A return to the philosophical bedrock of western society - classical liberalism.

Attractive to an American 😛 and I suppose 1.62% of Canadians 😂