Jump to content
The Political Lounge

Favorable or Unfavorable #396: Gilbert N Haugen


vcczar

Favorable or Unfavorable #396: Gilbert N Haugen  

12 members have voted

  1. 1. Did you read my first comment?

  2. 2. Favorable or Unfavorable #396: Gilbert N Haugen



Recommended Posts

Gilbert N Haugen (IA-R) is one of the major agriculture-focused members ever to be a part of Congress. He was consistently stymied by Coolidge and his supporters, despite being a fellow Republican. 

His actions:

Haugen, Gilbert N 1919 Influential House Agriculture Committee Chair. Served 12 years, including dust bowl and early great depr
Haugen, Gilbert N 1924 McNary-Haugen bill to raise agr prices
Haugen, Gilbert N 1926 McNary-Haugen bill again
Haugen, Gilbert N 1928 McNary-Haugen bill once more
Haugen, Gilbert N 1929 Agricultural Marketing Act
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Eh, this is really 50/50.  In context, ag subsides may have been good at the time, in which case my vote should probably switch.

A subsidy is typically a failure if it fails to improve the overall economy. Coolidge was probably vetoing them, in past, because the economy was good nationally. However, you had some sincerely impoverished farmers, mostly the same ones indebted and calling for Free Silver in the decades before. Some subsidies are basically welfare for poor demographics, which I think can be justified in emergencies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

A subsidy is typically a failure if it fails to improve the overall economy. Coolidge was probably vetoing them, in past, because the economy was good nationally. However, you had some sincerely impoverished farmers, mostly the same ones indebted and calling for Free Silver in the decades before. Some subsidies are basically welfare for poor demographics, which I think can be justified in emergencies.

Yeah I'm torn because I'm more in favor of other economic tools, but at the time it'd be a hard sell to be opposed.  As you probably recall from our formite primaries, I'm really big on nuance... and this is really me taking a punt because I don't feel like actually reading the bill haha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Yeah I'm torn because I'm more in favor of other economic tools, but at the time it'd be a hard sell to be opposed.  As you probably recall from our formite primaries, I'm really big on nuance... and this is really me taking a punt because I don't feel like actually reading the bill haha.

" subsidize American agriculture by raising the domestic prices of five crops. The plan was for the government to buy each crop and then store it or export it at a loss."

"According to the bill, a federal agency would be created to support and protect domestic farm prices by attempting to maintain price levels that existed in 1910-1914. By purchasing surpluses and selling them overseas, the federal government would take losses that would be paid for through fees against farm producers."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

" subsidize American agriculture by raising the domestic prices of five crops. The plan was for the government to buy each crop and then store it or export it at a loss."

"According to the bill, a federal agency would be created to support and protect domestic farm prices by attempting to maintain price levels that existed in 1910-1914. By purchasing surpluses and selling them overseas, the federal government would take losses that would be paid for through fees against farm producers."

Alright that's acceptable.

Calling me out like this is the meanest you've ever been to me V haha.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...