The Political Lounge

Favorable or Unfavorable #407: Howell Heflin

vcczar

Favorable or Unfavorable #407: Howell Heflin  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Did you read my first comment?

2. 2. Favorable or Unfavorable #407: Howell Heflin

Howell Heflin (AL-D) was the nephew of the extremely racist J Thomas Heflin. The nephew Howell likely shared some of this prejudice early in his career, but as you can see in 1993 regarding Sen. Braun, he grew a heart. 

His actions:

Heflin, Howell 1971 Chief Justice of the AL SC
Heflin, Howell 1981 Calls for a national court of appeals
Heflin, Howell 1987 Despite being a conservative Dem, votes against Bork's nom to the SC
Heflin, Howell 1991 One of few Dem cosponsors for war against Iraq
Heflin, Howell 1991 Despite being a conservative Dem, votes against Clarence Thomas for the SC
Heflin, Howell 1993 Gives notable speech against racism, and supports Sen Carol Moseley Braun's attempt to deny a Confederate flag design patent to the United Daughters of the Confederacy
Heflin, Howell 1993 Opposes NAFTA
Heflin, Howell 1993 One of only two Dems to vote against the Family and Medical Leave Act

I think I would tend to find him unfavorable, but I'm giving him a lot of props as a Southern Democrat from the Deep South for his stance in 1993, regarding Braun's action . Also considering who his uncle was, his transformation towards relative tolerance should be rewarded. 

35 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think I would tend to find him unfavorable, but I'm giving him a lot of props as a Southern Democrat from the Deep South for his stance in 1993, regarding Braun's action . Also considering who his uncle was, his transformation towards relative tolerance should be rewarded. 

He among others as I mentioned in the project post will be interesting when I calculate them into everyone’s ideology score. Hoping to officially begin soon, likely early next week. I’ll be sure to announce it.

• Based 1