The Political Lounge

General Meade/Gettysburg Book

jvikings1

For a while now I have been wanting to learn more about the Civil War era. It had such a profound impact on the US (and arguably the world), so I felt like it was a logical choice to expand upon my historical knowledge. With that being said, I just finished up a book on General Meade during his time in command of the Army of the Potomac (mainly concentrated at the events leading up to and following Gettysburg). Rather than follow the popular narrative of Meade as an overly-cautious commander, the book presents a narrative that he was very thoughtful and wide with his decisions (even if not popular on the political front). For any of you who enjoy history, especially the Civil War (@vcczar specifically comes to mind), I would definitely recommend the read.

Meade at Gettysburg | Kent Masterson Brown, Esq. | University of North Carolina Press (uncpress.org)

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

For a while now I have been wanting to learn more about the Civil War era. It had such a profound impact on the US (and arguably the world), so I felt like it was a logical choice to expand upon my historical knowledge. With that being said, I just finished up a book on General Meade during his time in command of the Army of the Potomac (mainly concentrated at the events leading up to and following Gettysburg). Rather than follow the popular narrative of Meade as an overly-cautious commander, the book presents a narrative that he was very thoughtful and wide with his decisions (even if not popular on the political front). For any of you who enjoy history, especially the Civil War (@vcczar specifically comes to mind), I would definitely recommend the read.

Meade at Gettysburg | Kent Masterson Brown, Esq. | University of North Carolina Press (uncpress.org)

I’ve read like 40 or 50 Civil War books. I first started reading them in 2nd grade. Meade is interesting. I’ve walked by his Philadelphia home a few times. Says Meade above the door. 

• Like 1