The Political Lounge

Toward a French Revolution Forum Game

vcczar

I've got all the characters in a spreadsheet now that will cover 1789-1799. 

Here they are by date of birth. Of these 117 characters, about 50 do not live to see the end of 1799, most of them by execution. Of the remaining 60 or so that live, many of these are exiled or imprisoned. 

Guillaume de Malesherbes 1721
Nicolas Luckner 1722
Jean-Baptiste de Rochambeau 1725
Jean-Baptiste Gobel 1727
Etienne de Brienne 1727
Francois d'Albert 1728
Jacques Necker 1732
Etienne Claviere 1735
Francois Kellermann 1735
Jean Bailly 1736
Louis de Conde 1736
Thomas Paine 1737
Joseph Guillotin 1738
Charles Lebrun 1739
Charles Dumouriez 1739
Adam de Custine 1740
Jean-Baptiste Treilhard 1742
Jean Serurier 1742
Jean-Paul Marat 1743
Antoine Lavoisier 1743
Nicolas de Condorcet 1743
Francois Barbe-Marbois 1745
Jacques Thouret 1746
Antoine Fouquier-Tinville 1746
Louis Gohier 1746
Jean-Nicholas Pache 1746
Philippe Egalite 1747
Roger Ducos 1747
Francois Barthelemy 1747
Jean Rewbell 1747
Olympe de Gouges 1748
Emmanuel Sieyes 1748
Nicholas Chambon 1748
Honore de Mirabeau 1749
Jean Collott 1749
Dominique Garat 1749
Arthur Dillon 1750
Fabre d'Eglantine 1750
Nicolas de Neufchateau 1750
Abbe Gregoire 1750
Raymond de Seze 1750
Louis Manuel 1751
Francois Westermann 1751
Etienne Letourneur 1751
Henri d'Ormesson 1751
Jacques Roux 1752
Jean Moulin 1752
Guillaume Faipoult 1752
Pierre de Beurnonville 1752
Antoine Santerre 1752
Jean-Baptiste Kleber 1753
Louis Berthier 1753
Jean de Cambaceres 1753
Lazare Carnot 1753
Louis de La Revelliere-Lepeaux 1753
Jean Stofflet 1753
Madame Roland 1754
Isaac Le Chapelier 1754
Jacques Brissot 1754
Charles de Talleyrand 1754
Philippe Merlin 1754
Bon-Adrien de Moncey 1754
Dominique Perignon 1754
Georges Couthon 1755
Paul Barras 1755
Joseph de Puisaye 1755
Bertrand Barere 1755
Claude de Pastoret 1755
Jean-Baptise Carrier 1756
Jerome Petion 1756
Francois de Boissy d'Anglas 1756
Jean de Billaud-Varenne 1756
Pierre Cambon 1756
Jacques Hebert 1757
Charles Augereau 1757
Gilbert du Motier de Lafayette 1757
Maximillien Robespierre 1758
Andre Massena 1758
Francois Hanriot 1759
Georges Danton 1759
Joseph Fouche 1759
Camille Desmoulins 1760
Gracchus Babeuf 1760
Charles de Bonchamps 1760
Francois Buzot 1760
Alexandre de Beauharnais 1760
Jean-Baptiste Fleuriot-Lescot 1761
Jean Pichegru 1761
Jean-Baptiste Jourdan 1762
Jean Championnet 1762
Augustin Robespierre 1763
Pierre Chaumette 1763
Francois de Charette 1763
Wolfe Tone 1763
Jean Moreau 1763
Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte 1763
Guillaume Brune 1764
Laurent Gouvion-Saint-Cyr 1764
Jean Varlet 1764
Etienne Macdonald 1765
Louis de Frott 1766
Louis de Saint-Just 1767
Jean Humbert 1767
Joachim Murat 1767
Charlotte Corday 1768
Lazare Hoche 1768
Louis Desaix 1768
Joseph Bonaparte 1768
Mathurin Duphot 1769
Francois Marceau 1769
Berthelemy Joubert 1769
Augustin Darthe 1769
Napoleon Bonaparte 1769
Lucile Desmoulins 1770
Georges Cadoudal 1771
Henri de la Rochejaquelein 1772
Lucien Bonaparte 1775
  • Like 4

I’ve added about 10 to 12 more people. 

Next, I’m going to figure out major events and locations that need to be integrated in the game. So far I’m imagining the following. 

Each turn is 1 month in the French Revolutionary Calendar. 

The locations are Paris, and then the different departments/provinces of France, although I’ll probably make these regions. Paris will have a city map. There will also be off-map locations for armies and navy, but the military is secondary to the political. You’ll have no control of the military outside of making the appointments, if you are in the position of doing so. 

Each player is a faction of up to 7 figures representing the leaders of your revolutionary faction. It’s possible to be a royalist faction if you want to try something difficult. 

Each character, similar to Rise of the White Sun, will have their own money and prestige and etc. It isn’t pooled into the faction. 

Characters can be convinced to leave a faction or join another. Lots of shenanigans. 

The game initially won’t have many alternate events. The goal is to rule the nation at the end date. If you are a revolutionary, regardless of the faction, you lose if the Monarchy exists at the end game. If you’re a royalist, you win if that happens. The revolutionaries may have a common cause but they also get in each other’s way as they have different ideas of what a Republic should be like. 

I’m on politicians born in 1756. Most of them seem to be born in the 1750s. 

As I build this politicians I’m getting ideas for how the game plays out. My ideas for the political and domestic sphere are well developed but I’m at odds with how fleshed out I want the military aspect to be. I want this game to focus on the political. 

I also want the “royalist” player to have a lot of fun options, primarily thwarting France when they aren’t in control. 

• Like 1

It’s kind of crazy how top rank French generals there are during this time. However, it’s difficult to know how many are excellent because they were leading massive French armies in a more updated, user-friendly command structure. There’s also several top rank generals that were killed or exiled before Napoleon was Emperor. I’d wager the French have 20 A-grade generals. The U.K. had 2. Austria 1 or 2. Russia had a lot of B-Rank and a very old A-ranker who dies in the 1790s. Spain had a B-ranker. Prussia has a few B rankers. There’s just no real competition. No wonder coalitions kept failing badly. The one upside is that the French had like 1 B-rank admiral while the U.K. had like 20 A-rank admirals. So the French pretty much are forced to stay on land. 

I've filled out all the initial people I planned to have in this game. I'm going to add a bunch more guys who ended up being more relevant after the 1799 end date. My main reason for this is because the could have been more relevant earlier and also because the game might extend beyond 1799 for a myriad of reasons. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've added a bunch more people--probably 100 more for me to fill out. I sort of don't expect this to be ready for a few months. I still need to figure out the rules and events and how those events are handled once I get all the people figured out. I have a rough idea for rules, however.

50 minutes ago, Blockmon said:

I am actually really excited for this, Its so interesting to see the dynamics of french revolution put in gamified way, there isn't really any game that would be this expansive

The first play through will be fairly linear with little alt history events and actions. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

The first play through will be fairly linear with little alt history events and actions. 

still amazing, even if little alt history happens there still alot that could happen. the Revolution was very volatile.

Update: I have over 400 people for this game so far. I've decided to allow the game to go until the Bourbon Restoration is solidified or if Napoleon or the French Republic goes without an invasion for 5 years, with a maximum date of 1821 (year Napoleon dies). I still don't know how the game will be played at this point. I have too many ideas that is making this move toward an AMPU complexity that I don't want to ever have to deal with again. So I'll probably start with something complex, then simplify it, and then playtest it. We are still probably a few months away.

• Like 1

I now have all the politicians that will be included for the 1st playthrough, although I can imagine 10 or so being added later. 

The first playtest will be very linear with few alternate events. 

The rules are going to be fairly simple. Each turn will be a revolutionary month. Some months won't have any events. 

I think this game is going to be 5 players

• 1 Royalist Faction -- w/ the goal of maintaining the Bourbons as monarch or restoring the Bourbons as monarch
  • 1 Moderate Faction -- w/ the goal of either having a constitutional monarchy or having a non-liberal Republic
  • 1 Liberal Faction -- w/ the goal of having either a liberal Republic or Democracy
  • 2 unaligned Factions -- the have no real set goals. 

Factions with goals win the game if their goal is met, so long as an unaligned faction isn't winning in points. An unaligned faction needs only win in points. Those with goals will want to make sure unaligned factions don't get too many power players. 

One of the more interesting traits is "Opportunist" these people can switch factions based on events and bribes and stuff. 

10 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think this game is going to be 5 players

• 1 Royalist Faction -- w/ the goal of maintaining the Bourbons as monarch or restoring the Bourbons as monarch
  • 1 Moderate Faction -- w/ the goal of either having a constitutional monarchy or having a non-liberal Republic
  • 1 Liberal Faction -- w/ the goal of having either a liberal Republic or Democracy
  • 2 unaligned Factions -- the have no real set goals. 

Factions with goals win the game if their goal is met, so long as an unaligned faction isn't winning in points. An unaligned faction needs only win in points. Those with goals will want to make sure unaligned factions don't get too many power players. 

One of the more interesting traits is "Opportunist" these people can switch factions based on events and bribes and stuff. 

I get if its way too similar to the other french revolution board game on kickstarter. But why not have Jacobins (more leftist ) or even Cordeliers (Most Leftist group during the time). Its just that I feel like having only one leftist faction would either be too hard for the left to create a republic or it would be too easy by having alot of powerful characters. Not really sure which is better and would love to see why you picked that kind of format :D, anyway I am still really excited about this as I believe you will make a better version of French revolution (after seeing and playtesting ampu)

39 minutes ago, Blockmon said:

I get if its way too similar to the other french revolution board game on kickstarter. But why not have Jacobins (more leftist ) or even Cordeliers (Most Leftist group during the time). Its just that I feel like having only one leftist faction would either be too hard for the left to create a republic or it would be too easy by having alot of powerful characters. Not really sure which is better and would love to see why you picked that kind of format :D, anyway I am still really excited about this as I believe you will make a better version of French revolution (after seeing and playtesting ampu)

The game is also going to stretch into the Napoleonic Era so having two-leftist groups won't really make sense. It would be up to the unaligned groups to be leftist or help leftists. Since they need points to win, the leftist player could try to win them over for influence. Basically, these unaligned factions are the spoilers. 

• Thanks 1

Have exactly 100 more people to fill out. Then I gotta simplify all their stats into something more holistic. That won't take me too long once I get them all filled out. I'll probably do the events last because i need to know what the game will contain that will be impacted by events. After the people, I'll probably create the office, geography, and basic rules,and point system. 

Update: about 35 left to fill out. 

There’s 23 categories for each politician. I’ll next have to apply rating to each of these based on what I filled out. Unlike with AMPU, these categories will be 0-10. 

I’m a little afraid this game is getting a little too complex with the politicians on an AMPU-scale. I’ll probably make the initial draft of the events and rules really simple to make up for this. It’s possible not all of the categories will be used and then I can just delete or condense them. 

There's about 450 politicians. The following have a 7/10 or higher for political skill. This ability will only be helpful in the legislature. Mirabeau is the only 10/10, while Robespierre and Danton are the only 9/10. The Lucien Bonaparte you see there is Napoleon's brother. :

Honore de Mirabeau
Maximillien Robespierre
Georges Danton
Emmanuel Sieyes
Jacques Brissot
Jacques Hebert
Jean Mounier
Rene de Maupeou
Guillaume de Malesherbes
Jean Bailly
Nicolas de Condorcet
Jean Maury