The Political Lounge

Favorable or Unfavorable #418: George Frisbie Hoar

vcczar

Favorable or Unfavorable #418: George Frisbie Hoar  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Did you read my first comment?

2. 2. Favorable or Unfavorable #418: George Frisbie Hoar

George Frisbie Hoar (MA-R) is the brother of Ebenezer Rockwood Hoar. GF Hoar is certainly a social progressive, although he was considered a fiscal conservative. As such, he could be considered a progressive conservative, an ideology that I wished still existed in the GOP. 

Let me clarify two points below. In 1882, he opposed the Chinese Exclusion Act because he thought it contradicted the idea that America was "land of the free." In regards to the 1880 GOP Convention, Frisbie didn't fear Garfield would back out of the nomination, he feared Garfield might say something that could cause some faction to back away from Garfield, therefore keeping the Convention going on for even longer. Frisbie just wanted the Convention to finally make a decision. So he interrupted Garfield. 

Oh, one more, in 1887, the government wanted to take votes from the women away to punish the polygamists of UT. States were allowed to let women vote if they wished, although at this point only Western territories were supportive of suffrage. The GOP of the 1850s-1890s was extremely anti-Mormon, especially anti-polygamists (they used the term anti-bigamists). So it was popular elsewhere to just be mean towards UT. That they punished all UT women to get at polygamists reminds me of that scene in the TV show Arrested Development when Gob Bluth sleeps with George Michael Bluth's ethics teacher in order to get back at Michael Bluth (George Michael's father). George Michael says something to the effect that it didn't make sense--"Why would he sleep with my ethics teacher to get back at you? I'm the one that likes her!" and Michael's response is something like, "I know, I know that, but you know Gob. He's not a target shooter. He just kind of sprays it everywhere." 

His actions:

Hoar, George Frisbie 1870 proposes federal aid to lower-level education
Hoar, George Frisbie 1871 proposes a federal labor commission
Hoar, George Frisbie 1874 Received Sen. Sumner's deathbed request to lead his Civil Rights bill through Congress upon his death
Hoar, George Frisbie 1876 Part of the commission that settled the contested Pres election for Hayes
Hoar, George Frisbie 1880 Stops Garfield from speaking at GOP Conv upon Garfield's nomination, fearing Garfield might talk his way out of the job
Hoar, George Frisbie 1882 A leading opponent of Chinese Excl Act
Hoar, George Frisbie 1886 Authors presidential succession act
Hoar, George Frisbie 1886 Advocates voting rights for women in Congress
Hoar, George Frisbie 1887 One of only 7 Senators to opposed Edmunds-Tucker Act, which took voting rights away from women in UT
Hoar, George Frisbie 1887 Strong advocate of the Dawes Act, and typically a champion of rights for Native Americans
Hoar, George Frisbie 1889 writes GOP triumphalist piece in North American Review
Hoar, George Frisbie 1890 shapes Sherman Antitrust Act
Hoar, George Frisbie 1890 role in advancing Lodge's Force Bill
Hoar, George Frisbie 1891 Influential Senate Judiciary Committee Chair. Serves 11 years, with 2-year interruption, including during the Spanish-American War
Hoar, George Frisbie 1898 Helped defeat McKinley's attempt to annex Hawaii by treaty, although it was later annexed by a joint resolution
Hoar, George Frisbie 1898 Opposes annexation of Philippines
Hoar, George Frisbie 1898 a leading anti-expansionist
Hoar, George Frisbie 1902 Opposes Holmes's SC nomination
Hoar, George Frisbie 1903 plan to license all interstate business