The Political Lounge

Steam Year in Review

vcczar

Here's mine:

• 40% of playing time is Uncharted Waters: Origin
  • 38% is Cell to Singularity
  • 3% is Hearts of Iron 4
  • 2% Out of the Park Baseball 2024
  • 2% Rise of the White Sun (note: only started playing it like 2 or 3 weeks ago)

The top two games are often playing in the background as I work. They don't really need too much interaction, which makes them perfect for multitasking.

1. War Thunder (30%)

2. HOI4 (14%)

3. Mount and Blade: Warband (9%)

It’s so silly that Dog is a genre for me. I play no game related directly to dogs. It’s there because of the Call of Duty campaigns I’ve been replaying as of late.

image.png.0454c826f3764536940430a8b5b0f26a.png

• Like 1
  • Based 1

3 hours ago, Pringles said:

1. War Thunder (30%)

2. HOI4 (14%)

3. Mount and Blade: Warband (9%)

It’s so silly that Dog is a genre for me. I play no game related directly to dogs. It’s there because of the Call of Duty campaigns I’ve been replaying as of late.

image.png.0454c826f3764536940430a8b5b0f26a.png

My top 6 genres on this chart are, in order of preference:

1. Clicker

2. Grand Strategy

3. Board Game

4. Chess

5. Detective

6. Lovecraftian

• Based 1

I'll just link the whole thing, since for some reason my app is being super slow.

https://store.steampowered.com/yearinreview/76561198214499567/2023

• Like 1

Not at home right now but I already know my top 3 are Madden, Vic 3, Ready or Not.

Not a big fan of shooter games (I don't play CoD or Battlefield or any of the battle Royale games) but Ready or Not is the shit, especially after the new 1.0 update bringing in a squad management campaign mode. I have very low hopes for early-access games but they actually did it. I never knew a slow-paced, strategic and tactical shooter was what I needed and I can't recommend it enough. I only play single-player, but the AI is so good that most people have better success rates with AI than real players. Not even joking. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A bit late to the party.

Balder's Gate 3 (13%) (Impressive because it came out late in the year, and I also bought it a month after launch)

Underrail (9%)

OOTP 24 (9%)

Cyberpunk 2077 (7%)

Crusader Kings 3 (7%)

It's interesting RDR2 just got mentioned, because I actually bought that to test out the new PC I bought in July.... still haven't even downloaded it, and have tested the pc using cyberpunk and BG3.  I do basically live in a cornfield though where until recently my download speed was less than a megabyte per second, so it's really hard to download large files.

9 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

A bit late to the party.

Balder's Gate 3 (13%) (Impressive because it came out late in the year, and I also bought it a month after launch)

Underrail (9%)

OOTP 24 (9%)

Cyberpunk 2077 (7%)

Crusader Kings 3 (7%)

It's interesting RDR2 just got mentioned, because I actually bought that to test out the new PC I bought in July.... still haven't even downloaded it, and have tested the pc using cyberpunk and BG3.  I do basically live in a cornfield though where until recently my download speed was less than a megabyte per second, so it's really hard to download large files.

What is underrail? 

13 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I do basically live in a cornfield though where until recently my download speed was less than a megabyte per second, so it's really hard to download large files.

Tell me about it. It took me three days to download BG3 (not continuously but close!) on my laptop. Yesterday I had to factory reset it. I am not redownloading it on the laptop. 😄 

Just now, vcczar said:

What is underrail? 

It's a modern take on old school isometic RPGs like Fallout 1 and 2.  It's oddly engaging, really well done... but also super super difficult.  I actually only got about half way through it the first time... trying it again recently on a lower difficulty (though keep getting distracted).  I usually play games on medium/default difficulty, but it's a game even I will play on the easy mode.

As for setting, it's post(?) apocalyptic, where everyone basically lives in a giant, purpose built underground metro system, with various elements of sci-fi.  I would say in terms of grimness of the world, the outlook is maybe less bleak than Fallout, but the humor/writing is definitely a bit more.... crude... (but done stylistically as opposed to a lack of skill on the writers part).  It's not for everyone.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hestia said:

Tell me about it. It took me three days to download BG3 (not continuously but close!) on my laptop. Yesterday I had to factory reset it. I am not redownloading it on the laptop. 😄 

I had a 6M connection, I now have a 10M connect.  When I had the 6M connection, I would go to my brother's apartment, who lives in town, and log into steam and download onto a flash drive, then come home and transfer onto my SSD, because that was faster, even though downloading onto a flash drive is still a major bottleneck.  The first time I did this was actually the day I learned BG3 existed (which I somehow missed).  I originally planned to download RDR2 that day, but bought BG3 on a whim, and only had time realistically to download 1 before I overstayed my welcome, so BG3 is what got downloaded.

• Like 1