The Political Lounge

Favorable or Unfavorable #438: Ward Hunt

vcczar

Favorable or Unfavorable #438: Ward Hunt  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Did you read my first comment?

2. 2. Favorable or Unfavorable #438: Ward Hunt

SC Justice Ward Hunt (NY-R) didn't serve for very long, but he does come with some notable actions, especially those that could be an argument for ending life terms on the SC. Hunt did not work as a SC Justice after his stroke. That is, he took a paycheck for 4 years without taking part in SC decisions. There was no law to remove him, and he was too incapacitated to work. 

His actions:

Hunt, Ward 1855 Fmr Free Soiler who helps found the NY GOP
Hunt, Ward 1872 Confirmed to SC for Grant; urged by Conkling
Hunt, Ward 1873 Presides over trial of Susan B Anthony in which he rules that she voted illegally (b/c a woman) and should be fined
Hunt, Ward 1878 Suffers severe stroke and never serves again, but doesn't retire because isn't eligible for a pension for 4 more years.
Hunt, Ward 1882 Resigns 4 years after major stroke now that he's receiving a pension

9 hours ago, vcczar said:

SC Justice Ward Hunt (NY-R) didn't serve for very long, but he does come with some notable actions, especially those that could be an argument for ending life terms on the SC. Hunt did not work as a SC Justice after his stroke. That is, he took a paycheck for 4 years without taking part in SC decisions. There was no law to remove him, and he was too incapacitated to work. 

His actions:

Hunt, Ward 1855 Fmr Free Soiler who helps found the NY GOP
Hunt, Ward 1872 Confirmed to SC for Grant; urged by Conkling
Hunt, Ward 1873 Presides over trial of Susan B Anthony in which he rules that she voted illegally (b/c a woman) and should be fined
Hunt, Ward 1878 Suffers severe stroke and never serves again, but doesn't retire because isn't eligible for a pension for 4 more years.
Hunt, Ward 1882 Resigns 4 years after major stroke now that he's receiving a pension

I will be honest I had not seen the 1873 thing of susan b anthony and said favorable, I retract that vote

TBH I'm not sure he's an arguement against life terms (which is a convo we can have elsewhere on a more fitting subject) but an argument for more robust removal mechanisms in general.  Incapacitation can happen at any age, and there's always improper behavior too, so there can be robust checks in those regards.  I just this the nature of the patch would be akin to what was added for the President down the road with "unable to perform duties" and is why we see the VP temporarily become acting president every time the pres goes under anesthesia, etc, and the cabinet vote mechanism, even if everyone is in practice too scared to do that (which isn't a fault of the system per se).

• Thanks 1