The Political Lounge

Favorable or Unfavorable #448: Jacob Javits

vcczar

Favorable or Unfavorable #448: Jacob Javits  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Did you read my first comment?

2. 2. Favorable or Unfavorable #448: Jacob Javits

Jacob Javits (NY-R) was a Rockefeller Republican who was to the left of Rockefeller. He was probably more similar to FDR-era LaGuardia, a liberal Republican who was strongly supportive of FDR. Likewise, Javits supported LBJ's domestic policy.

Javits probably represents many Northerners who refused to join the Democrats officially because of Southern Democrats. Once they started joining the GOP, it made the Democrats finally look inviting, so liberal Republicans began to switch over too. Javits likely would have switched over had he lived to the 1990s. I'm about 90% certain. 

Javits defeat for reelection was partially due to Javits having been diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's Disease. 

His actions:

Javits, Jacob 1947 GOP US Rep supports Truman's veto of anti-labor Taft-Hartley Act
Javits, Jacob 1948 Opposes McCarthyism/Red Scare tactics
Javits, Jacob 1954 Gains some attention by defeating rising star FDR Jr for NY Att Gen
Javits, Jacob 1964 GOP Sen refuses to support Goldwater for pres
Javits, Jacob 1964 a leader on civil rights bill
Javits, Jacob 1967 drops support of Vietnam War, calling for peace
Javits, Jacob 1970 Votes for Cooper-Church amdt to block funding for expanding war into Cambodia
Javits, Jacob 1970 drafts a medicare for all bill
Javits, Jacob 1973 Drafts War Powers Resolution
Javitz, Jacob 1977 Compromise on Employment and Training Act
Javitz, Jacob 1980 Prominent 4-term Sen loses in GOP primary to more conservative D'Amato; fails in 3rd party Liberal party bid in general

While overall there's nothing really objectionable here, I do want to call out I have issues with the War Powers Resolution as written.  I don't have a problem with Congress wanting oversight, but I feel the way they went about it in 1973 is unconstitutional.  Now, we do need to have a conversation/re-examining of that issue, but that doesn't mean what we have right now isn't terrible.  I'm not holding it against him though.

1 minute ago, OrangeP47 said:

While overall there's nothing really objectionable here, I do want to call out I have issues with the War Powers Resolution as written.  I don't have a problem with Congress wanting oversight, but I feel the way they went about it in 1973 is unconstitutional.  Now, we do need to have a conversation/re-examining of that issue, but that doesn't mean what we have right now isn't terrible.  I'm not holding it against him though.

And before anyone asks for follow up:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Powers_Resolution#Questions_regarding_constitutionality

• Thanks 2