The Political Lounge

Favorable or Unfavorable #450: Thomas Jefferson

vcczar

Favorable or Unfavorable #450: Thomas Jefferson  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Did you read my first comment?

2. 2. Favorable or Unfavorable #450: Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson (VA-JR) is clearly one of the most influential people in US history. Not captured below is a lot of his quiet influence, mostly via letters. If I ever have time to flesh out this data even further, you can expect Jefferson to expand a lot. 

Not captured below is all of his actions in the pre-presidential era -- Declaration of Independence, role in Northwest Ordinance, work in France, etc. 

His actions:

Jefferson, Thomas 1789 Confirmed as first Sec of State, but does not take office until 1790 as he's in France
Jefferson, Thomas 1790? Unknown at the time, but has child w/ his 16 or 17 year old enslaved woman Sally Hemings this year or before
Jefferson, Thomas 1790 Jefferson becomes administrative outlier in opposing Hamilton's economic report
Jefferson, Thomas 1790 in on deal to create D.C.
Jefferson, Thomas 1791 co-founds National Gazette w/ Madison, as an anti-Hamiltonian newspaper
Jefferson, Thomas 1791 Opposes Hamilton on U.S. bank
Jefferson, Thomas 1791 co-founder and leader of opposition Jeffersonian Republican party
Jefferson, Thomas 1792 Unsuccessful in attempt to remove Hamilton from cabinet
Jefferson, Thomas 1792 Advises Washington to use first pres veto on Apportionment Act in opposition to Hamilton and Knox
Jefferson, Thomas 1793 Loses credibility w/ Washington b/c of Genet Affair and his support for France
Jefferson, Thomas 1793 Resigns as Sec of State over administration's Foreign Policy
Jefferson, Thomas 1794 Maintains support of Revolution in France during Reign of Terror and does not disavow the violence
Jefferson, Thomas 1794 Unofficial leader against Jay Treaty
Jefferson, Thomas 1796 Defeated in 1796 pres. election but elected VP
Jefferson, Thomas 1798 Anonymously co-authors KY & VA Resolutions. against A & S acts
Jefferson, Thomas 1800 Ties elecion w/ Burr, but House makes Jefferson pres and Burr VP; Adams would have won if not for 3/5th Compr.
Jefferson, Thomas 1801 becomes 1st pres to refuse tribute to Barbary Pirates, leading to 1st Barbary War
Jefferson, Thomas 1801 Purges higher offices of Federalists, but leaves Federalists in some lower offices.
Jefferson, Thomas 1801 Makes the presidency less formal, so that it less resembles a monarchy
Jefferson, Thomas 1801 Ends tradition of president reading the State of the Union in person (Wilson will revert back to reading it in person)
Jefferson, Thomas 1802 Rumor of sexual relation w/ slave Sally Hemings is published (later proved true, revealing they had several children starting in the 1790s); publication does not cause a great scandal as Feds hoped
Jefferson, Thomas 1802 Signs bill establishing West Point Mil Acad
Jefferson, Thomas 1802 Signs new Judiciary Act, which cancelled Adams's Midnight Judges Act
Jefferson, Thomas 1802 Covertly aids Haitians in revolution against France
Jefferson, Thomas 1803 Commissions Lewis & Clark Exped, which begins the next year
Jefferson, Thomas 1803 Announces signing of LA Purchase
Jefferson, Thomas 1804 William Johnson confirmed to the SC for Jefferson
Jefferson, Thomas 1804 Wins reelection in landslide
Jefferson, Thomas 1804 Refuses to recognize Haitian Independence despite covert aid because it is run by former slaves
Jefferson, Thomas 1804 Used his influence to help in getting Justice Chase impeached
Jefferson, Thomas 1806 Calls for ban of International Slave Trade
Jefferson, Thomas 1806 Signs bill authorizes construction of the Cumberland (National) Road
Jefferson, Thomas 1806 Proposes Const. Amendment to allow internal improvements but Congress does not act
Jefferson, Thomas 1806 Fails to purchase Spanish Floridas from Spain after obtaining money from Congress
Jefferson, Thomas 1807 Livingston confirmed to the SC for Jefferson
Jefferson, Thomas 1807 Todd confirmed to the SC for Jefferson
Jefferson, Thomas 1807 Signs bill outlawing slave trade
Jefferson, Thomas 1807 Used his influence to get Burr found guilty of treason but fails
Jefferson, Thomas 1807 Signs 7th Ct Act of 1807, which creates another SC justice seat
Jefferson, Thomas 1807 Bans armed ships from GB in US waters following Chesapeake-Leopold Affair
Jefferson, Thomas 1807 Signs embargo act
Jefferson, Thomas 1816 Crucial endorsement helps Monroe gain nomination over Crawford
Jefferson, Thomas 1817 Recorded as enslaving 140 people, despite private letters expressing opposition to slavery
Jefferson, Thomas 1822 Frees his runaway slave Harriet Hemings, who happens to also be his daughter

I would vote favorable for him until about 1790. From then on, I think he's highly overrated. He's frequently hypocritical. As an intellectual, I have higher respect for him. He should have been a professor rather than a president. I think his Jefferson's Bible is a great contribution to theology and critical thinking, and I wish more people considered it. 

I think you all know what I think of Jefferson, but that said, the level of my animosity does surely come too because he was quite successful, which I have to admit.  If he was just some nobody, I probably would not care about disparaging him nearly as much.

20 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Probably my favorite Founding Father despite his flaws. 

I think he was well-meaning, but too idealistic in some ways to really grasp with the reality of the future at times. He was as manipulative, controlling, and paranoid as Hamilton. Jefferson was more secretive than Hamilton. I think Jefferson best contribution after the Constitution was in place was his advocacy for expanding the vote to the common people and "democratizing the presidency," aside from that I think he was often unethical, hypocritical, or blunderous. He arguably should have been impeached for interfering in the Burr trial. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

Wow, knew he was controversial, but genuinely shocked at how high his unfavorable are on this forum. 

I mean given the usual reaction I get when I say I don't care for Jefferson I am a bit surprised as well as to how many people are in the same grouping as me haha.

Him raping Sally Hemings when she was 14 and then forcing her to carry his children when she was 16 is enough to make him unfavorable, but even I were a complete fucking amoral idiot and decided to ignore that I still think I would vote unfavorable off of everything else he did to America.

• Disagree 2
  • Based 1

8 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Him raping Sally Hemings when she was 14 and then forcing her to carry his children when she was 16 is enough to make him unfavorable, but even I were a complete fucking amoral idiot and decided to ignore that I still think I would vote unfavorable off of everything else he did to America.

The combative tone of this aside, I don't think you recognize the irony in that statement.

1 hour ago, Pringles said:

The combative tone of this aside, I don't think you recognize the irony in that statement.

Ok